Man loses arm in beer keg explosion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My guess would be one of the cheap arse plastic kegs. There's been at least one fatality and several serious injuries from them going off at pressures as low as 33psi (documented cases).

google - plastic keg explosion

Dangerous stuff especially in confined spaces.

So, as the story goes, the incident involved a major brewers keg and and a magic box.

The magic box would not pour properly and the young fella, not a club employee but with a familial link, stepped into help.

From here it gets abut squishy how the fella got the keg to pour, but things obviously went bang. The keg went thru the roof of the area it was in.

Failure would be on the gas reg side, but questions about how and when are not known.

Not a fun situation at all..

Without knowing what sort and the state of the equipment, we can only guess what happened and why.

Any stored energy can be dangerous, treat it with respect and be careful. Maintain your equipment, and if it looks dodgy it probably is - don't take chances on pressure equipment.

Online Brewing Supplies said:
Must have been some very able gas line if it didn't blow first, doesnt add up ?
Agree with your comment on the gas line,I was thinking that somehow the keg kept building up pressure until it failed but then the gas line surely would have popped will trying to gas the keg to such a high pressure level ?
A sad story,but strange all the same.

After reading clubs NSW had issued a warning I contacted them and requested a copy. It would appear the warning they issued is not the same kind of incident as this thread is discussing. Still a useful read.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1413447525.705049.jpg
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1413447556.754575.jpg
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1413447590.940801.jpg

catcher said:
After reading clubs NSW had issued a warning I contacted them and requested a copy. It would appear the warning they issued is not the same kind of incident as this thread is discussing. Still a useful read.

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1413447525.705049.jpg
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1413447556.754575.jpg
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1413447590.940801.jpg
A good lesson for anyone use bracton, caustic, or anything similar to clean in the brewery. No one wants to be the one eyed Homebrewer.

Mr. No-Tip said:
A good lesson for anyone use bracton, caustic, or anything similar to clean in the brewery. No one wants to be the one eyed Homebrewer.
I'm already a one eyed home brewer. Good reminder for me to be extra carefull.

As Shaun Micaleff says: "Its all fun and games until someone loses an eye........then it's still fun and games, but with a slight loss of depth perception."

Phoney said:
All this time I thought pressurized kegs were armless.
Too soon... :(

It might not seem to cause any 'arm, but before you know it people will be blowing off kegs after 12 beers and end up legless...

Adr_0 said:
Too soon... :(

It might not seem to cause any 'arm, but before you know it people will be blowing off kegs after 12 beers and end up legless...
Phoney said:
All this time I thought pressurized kegs were armless.
Seriously?

Imagine its your kid thats just lost his arm. Respect costs nothing.

Like Joan Rivers said "Life is tough, so you better laugh at everything"
Just because you make a joke about something, doesn't mean you're belittling the gravitas of the situation

These things seem to take forever to be finalised,I imagine it will be a while yet before the full report etc is released.
All the info would be going all over the place to various departments,experts etc .

Remember that with such a serious disabling injury, there WILL be legal action, probably workcover and civil damages, these will take years to resolve and the technical information will be under legal privilege for all that time.
The best we can hope for, info wise is some generalised warning or guidance note from workcover.
Lemon

This all gets me thinking about the safety of my methods, I some times force carb a sanke keg at 400 kpi when I'm in a hurry to get fizzy beer. Maybe i should turn the reg down a bit and enjoy a couple of alcohol free days...

Latest posts

Back