Malty Mess

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll also have to take the adaptor out of the hose that came with the bucket and clean that up, it's been cut as rough as guts as well. Also, if you order the horsehair bottle brush that's pictured on the website, the one with the nice tail on it, you may get a completely different one without a tail like I did. I only ordered it for the tail, the one that came with his beginner kit doesn't clean the bottoms of the bottles. I emailed Dave about this but received no response.

When did you email him?

Honestly, don't people call retailers anymore?

A long distance call to Sydney would only increase my losses and inconvenience. Really shouldn't have to, the service is obviously second rate, what can I do about that? Hopefully the heads up will save another beginning brewer from a similar experience. If this is the generally accepted standard of service provided by Homebrew Suppliers as a whole then perhaps I would be better off to buy my beer in bottles from the pub, at least I'll get what I paid for.

You're right, instead of dealing directly with the retailer who no-one seems to have had a negative experience with in the past, it is much better to get on this forum and whinge....

Sorry if I seem harsh or abrupt but I still firmly believe this thread should have never existed in the first place.....

no-one seems to have had a negative experience with in the past
Now if more people voiced their disappointment regarding this sort of thing perhaps retailers would be more accountable for the service they provide. I wouldn't of had to deal with this for a start. As far as winging goes, well I was hoping for advise on the best way around some of the issues involved here - fixing the hole, bulk priming, viability of the remaining malt etc. I did recieve some good advise, along with a few comments on how good the retailer is and how I must be soooo unlucky to be the only 1 this has happened to, none of which is any help to me. I realise much worse can happen, I'm just fed up with shite like this happening all the time.
Any constructive advise is welcomed.

Tidy up the bucket with a knife....

Read this for bulk priming

Turf the remaining malt, you have a free replacement in the mail

I'd also give the bucket a good old napisan (unscented no-name stuff works best) soak just to remove any traces and also to get rid of the blue paint you mentioned on the base...

As for more people voicing issues, people do when they have problems. The was a whole thread on it last week

Ive placed a few orders with Dave in the past - the free shipping for $100+ is hard to refuse.

Only ever had one problem, ordered a couple of packs of S04 and he sent S23 instead. Flicked him an email about it, but said not to bother replacing the yeast because I'd use it anyway. A few days later an envelope turned up with SO4 in it.

re syphoning vs tap:

I always just use the tap and hose method but never bottle out of primary. When the fermentation is almost complete I transfer to another fermenter, leave it at brew temperature for a couple of days to finish fermenting, diacetyl rest etc, then crash chill for a week or more depending on style and polyclar before bottling. On bottling day itself I usually just run a beer glass of the first running out of the tap and that 'clears its throat' as most of the gunk is usually sitting in the tap hole anyway.

After a good cold crash I nearly always find that the beer is almost clear, and on a couple of occasions it's been so clear it's almost like bright beer. Still manages to carb up ok!

Seeing as I mostly brew AG ales, if the beer is going to sit around in the bottles anyway, it might as well sit around in cold conditioning where it's constantly cleaning itself up and improving as opposed to in the bottle at ambient temp where it only improves up to a point.

re syphoning vs tap:

On bottling day itself I usually just run a beer glass of the first running out of the tap and that 'clears its throat' as most of the gunk is usually sitting in the tap hole anyway.

Hmmm, interesting. And you just prime your bottles individually with dextrose?
I should be able to use the priming bucket as a secondary, already got a spare grommet and airlock, just need a thermometer to stick on the side. Another bonus is I can attach the hose and adaptor to my bottling wand and line my bottles up on bottling day.

I tried that bottler to hose trick....

My hose is too wide, it's ID is closer to the OD of the tap......

Is a real pain in the arse as I'd love to be able to bottle that way..

because I've been using 2L and 750ml PETs so far, I just use CSR sugar cubes which fit nicely through the top of all PET bottles. However I'm going onto glass for a few of my brews so I'm going to have to bulk prime.

There's no reason why you can't use your primary fermenter for primary, transfer to secondary then on bottling day run off the lees back into the primary vessel and use that as a bulk primer and just stick the cane in the tap of the primary. Assuming of course that your primary is a 'standard' fermenter with a tap.
It's amazing how much extra trub settles to the bottom of the secondary vessel.

Provided you do it smoothly with a long hose that wraps around at the bottom and get a whirlpool with no splashing it's unlikely you will get oxygenation or infection problems.

^^What he said...

Use to brew like that before I got my dedicated bottling bucket....

No affiliation , etc., etc.

Perhaps you are right I deserved to get what I got for being such an idiot.
Let's not go that far...it's something me and my mates call the "Stupid Tax". Perhaps you should have checked more, but perhaps they should have done a better job.

However, as pointed out by others on this forum: this seemed to be a reputable retailer. It is odd then, that they didn't address the issue of the poor workmanship when you contacted them, though we don't know the contents of the correspondence.

Honestly, don't people call retailers anymore?
The order was placed online. The common communication medium with online stores is via email. Even if Boagsy does email, instead of calling, he should get an appropriate response.

You're right, instead of dealing directly with the retailer who no-one seems to have had a negative experience with in the past, it is much better to get on this forum and whinge....
Every retailer has had some customer that has had a negative experience with their products or service even if it has not been broadcast here on AHB. Perhaps Boagsy should have waited until a response was received before unloading here, but given the nature of the reply it seems justified. But, as I said earlier: we don't know the contents of the correspondence.

Boagsy, if you are unhappy with the service that you got then it's your right to post about it. Perhaps other people will be more wary of that supplier in future. Perhaps (if the supplier reads this thread) they will pick up their game and be better for all the customers they keep.

I would probably reply to the response you got and ask about the problems with the bottling bucket.

Let us all know how it turned out, either way, so we know how the retailer solved this problem.

It doesn't seem a total loss though...clean up the hole and give it a good (really good) clean...should be perfectly serviceable.

Also, click the CraftBrewer link at the top of this page. Ross is great to deal with (on the few occasions I have purchased from him), however, I have never had to send anything back...that, itself, is a good indication.

Good luck and let us know.

:icon_cheers:
EK

That's fine..........mine looks just like that, except I did mine with a drill.....remember it doesn't need to be the full diameter, it's going to be going through a much narrower point going through a bottling wand.....Just trim the edges a little with a stanley knife to remove the bits of plastic that are hanging on

My question is this. If the man shelled out $40 should he really have to take a stanley knife to anything ? I'd be expecting pro gear if I shelled out that money.

When I take my car to a mechanic I pay them top dollar, not because I can't change the oil, just because I don't want to and I got better things to do with my time and I want it done right.

Playing devil's advocate I will say this. I am prone to flying off the handle in situations that can be resolved with a minimum of fuss. I saw you never called him. I think a non emotional e-mail stating why you think the order was amateur work and asking what could be done to put things right, might have done the job here.

Just sent Dave another email;

"G'day Dave,The priming bucket (order 1068) that you sent me is not suitable for use with beer. It has scratches in the bottom and jagged edges around the tap hole where bacteria can harbor. I expected much more for the money I paid for this item. The manner in which the hole for the tap has been made shows no signs of care or workmanship."

I was fixing the hacked hole in the bucket and when the sun hit the bottom of the bucket and I noticed numerous scratches on the bottom nearby the tap hole. And no it wasn't me, I had only began work on the hole from the outside. So I'm writing it off, my beer deserves better.

It will be interesting to see if he responds or what he has to say about it.

Thanks for all the constructive advise by the way.

If nothing else it's a lesson learned.

My question is this. If the man shelled out $40 should he really have to take a stanley knife to anything ? I'd be expecting pro gear if I shelled out that money.

If I shelled out $40 for a bucket, I'd be expecting a visit from people in white coats, but that's me...

You have made me think though, I have never really looked at the base of mine, for all I know it's scratched beyond belief, but I always wash it and then sanitise it after use.

If I lived nearby I'd come and get your bucket for myself, I have total confidence in my own sanitation regime.

If I shelled out $40 for a bucket, I'd be expecting a visit from people in white coats, but that's me...

Actually I checked my invoice and it was only 37 bux. He must of thought they were so good he put the price up an extra 3 bux.
Still, 37 dollars I coulda pissed up against the wall, what a waste
lol, do I still qualify for the nuthouse?
If you are ever in my area, mate, be sure to drop in and you can certainly have the bucket. It'll be out the back with a potplant growin it.

And no it wasn't me, I had only began work on the hole from the outside. So I'm writing it off, my beer deserves better.

That line there will put him on the back foot as I think it's somewhat assuming.
As much as I agree with you in everything you have stated.
I don't reckon that will help your cause.
Post back though, see how it pans out.

Just my 2c

This was the bit I sent Dave, in the inverted commas.

"G'day Dave,The priming bucket (order 1068) that you sent me is not suitable for use with beer. It has scratches in the bottom and jagged edges around the tap hole where bacteria can harbor. I expected much more for the money I paid for this item. The manner in which the hole for the tap has been made shows no signs of care or workmanship."

And this was the original email I sent him the day my ordered showed.

"G'day Dave,
Order 1068 arrived today. You might want to revise your packing methods. One of the bottle tree pieces pierced the malt bag and it's come out all over everything. Is the priming bucket meant to have a hole in the lid for an airlock? wasn't expecting this. The hole for the tap has also been very roughly made and has bits of plastic hanging from it. Not happy."

His response to this was,
"Sorry about the malt, I will drop another malt in the post.
Dave"

I then sent him this;
"I purchased the horse hair bottle brush because I thought it would be the same as the one you have pictured on the website with the tail at the end. The one you sent me hasn't."

but never received a reply.

Back