Malty Mess

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazza_devil

Reaction score
G'day Brewers,
I just received my second online order from Dave's Homebrew, a bulk priming bucket, bottle tree and rinser, Munton's Export Stout and a mixed stout pack of dried malt/dextrose/maltodextrin.
To my disappointment I opened the bucket to find the dried malt bag had been punctured by a piece of the bottle tree and it's all over everything. I'm not sure if what's left in the bag is any good to use. There's a small hole in the bag and I'm not sure exactly how much has escaped.
Also not very impressed about the priming bucket. The hole for the tap looks like it's been carved out by a kitchen knife, my 4 yo daughter could have done a better job of it.
The priming bucket came with a piece of hose and an adaptor to connect it to a fermenter tap. I'm not sure if this is gonna be the best way to transfer my wort. I'm thinking it would be better to siphon my wort from the top to avoid any sediment. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
The instructions that came with the priming bucket are the lamest I've ever seen. I'll need to find a formula for bulk priming.
Perhaps it would be best to buy some better equipment from another retailer for this job.
Cheers

Sounds like a real cowboy hack job. If it was me I'd ask for the money back. Anyone who can't drill, tap and plastic without melting it or just hacking the crap out it doesn't deserve to be selling brew gear. Look at all those scratches, grooves and crevices that are going to harbor bacteria and other nasties that will ruin the flavour of your finished product. I would be outraged myself at someone selling me that.

Return it andmake your own. Proper tools and gear and a gram worth of care about your end product means you'll likely make something heads and shoulders above that in quality.

I always taking unboxing photographs to show damag for insurance or dispute resolution purposes.

Have you contacted the retailer before making comments on here? I've had minor issues with some suppliers (items missing in large orders) but they have always been apologetic and helpful, and as such I'd hate to tarnish their reputation.

As for bottling, use an old foodgrade bucket I got for free and then noticed it had a thread to fit a tap. I always run a hose from my fermenters tap, which is then coiled up in the base of the bottling bucket to create a whirlpool which helps to mix in my priming solution.

If you really need instructions for a bucket, I am concerned and I always change the amount of sugar I use depending on many factors, go read butters sig for more info on that one.

Just my 2c

I just received a reply from Dave.
"Sorry about the malt, I will drop another malt in the post."
That was it in it's entirity. Some consilation I guess.
Hopefully my feedback might help him improve his service.
I did think to wait before posting here but I think the retailer has done a good enough job of tarnishing his own reputation. It's not a matter of an honest mistake but simply just not good enough.
It cost me 35 bux to have the lot shipped to Tassie, I wont be sending it back.
I reckon my best bet is to cut my losses and buy elswhere in future.
I'll post pics shortly. I'm wondering what would be the best way of cleaning up the hacked hole, any ideas?

Without seeing the bucket it would be nearly impossible to tell you how to fix it...

How much did you pay BTW, for the bucket??? because a sub $20 "round water container" from bunnings paired with a $2 tap and a $4 length of hose could have done the job....

The bulk priming vessel on his website is listed at $40, abit expensive for what it is in my opinion. Although I have never bought one so don't know what they go for.

The image on the site is of a pail with a threaded hole down the bottom for the tap, is this the case with yours?

BTW. Have dealt with Dave previously and would happily shop with him again.

Bahahaha, $40 for that?? That man is a genius....

That is identical to mine, which I got for free from freecycle by requesting foodgrade buckets a while back.....

Does the tap actually attach to the thread and seal and the part that has been hacked in the plastic backing behind the tap?? If so then it isn't an issue, mine had that backing when I got it and I just had a go at it with a drill bit and drilled most of the centre out....

I can take pics if you want them.

Without seeing the bucket it would be nearly impossible to tell you how to fix it...

How much did you pay BTW, for the bucket??? because a sub $20 "round water container" from bunnings paired with a $2 tap and a $4 length of hose could have done the job....

It was 40 bux :( . Pity it's over 100kms to the nearest Bunnings store. I don't know anywhere close around here that sells similar items.
I reckon I'll just purchase a secondary 25 litre fermenter, siphon and racking cane or something, dunno, have to look into it.

Bahahaha, $40 for that?? That man is a genius....

That is identical to mine, which I got for free from freecycle by requesting foodgrade buckets a while back.....

Does the tap actually attach to the thread and seal and the part that has been hacked in the plastic backing behind the tap?? If so then it isn't an issue, mine had that backing when I got it and I just had a go at it with a drill bit and drilled most of the centre out....

I can take pics if you want them.
I should be able to drill the hole out larger I guess. There's also blue ink from the bottle rinser box impregnated into the mould lines on the bottom of the bucket.

fermenter_hack_001.jpg

fermenter_hack_002.jpg

That's fine..........mine looks just like that, except I did mine with a drill.....remember it doesn't need to be the full diameter, it's going to be going through a much narrower point going through a bottling wand.....Just trim the edges a little with a stanley knife to remove the bits of plastic that are hanging on

The way I see it, you have the following reasons to be upset.

1. The malt bag burst and spewed shite everywhere, a silly mistake on the part of the person packing the bag, but they have offered to fix that issue, so there is no issue.
2. The hole in your bottling bucket isn't pretty to look at.....I see this as a non issue.
3. You were potentially overcharged for what you got, no-one's fault there but your own..I still can't understand why anyone would pay to ship a bucket from Sydney to Hobart myself, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

By the sounds of it, bar the silly packing of the stout pack that split, the retailer has done EVERYTHING in their power to help you. I personally see no reason to complain.

You shouldn't have any problems with that tap fitting. I would suggest using a knife/scalpel to clean it up a bit to prevent places for bacteria to grow, but otherwise there shouldn't be any problems with it. My bucket looks the same.

It was good of him to send out another bag of malt.

Its great he sent out another malt. It seems everyday the quality of things we buy lack the finishing touches and quality and that goes for more than homebrew. With things that are mass produced quality isn't as good but the price is cheaper. It is disappointing purchasing something new that isn't a 100% but at the end of the day will still do the job.

3. You were potentially overcharged for what you got, no-one's fault there but your own..I still can't understand why anyone would pay to ship a bucket from Sydney to Hobart myself, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

It may seem a little insane but if I order online it's gonna have to come across bass strait no matter where I get it from so shipping costs will be all much of a muchness. It was a bulk order of goods that are not available anywhere close to me. I thought I may as well throw in a few other handy things but made the mistake of thinking that the priming bucket deal was more than it really was.
Perhaps you are right I deserved to get what I got for being such an idiot.

I wouldn't say idiot, more a case of learning to research and ask here before making purchases......

I can't believe Tassie has NO homebrew shops....

EDIT: There is at least one..

I wouldn't say idiot, more a case of learning to research and ask here before making purchases......

I can't believe Tassie has NO homebrew shops....

If I was in Hobart it wouldn't be a problem, it's around 400kms away. My nearest homebrew supplier only has the very basics. I rather enjoy shopping online most of the time because of the added variety of items available. I don't have to pay for petrol, parking etc and usually shopping at a shop involves the retailer talking you into buying what they have in stock rather than the item you originally wanted. A lot of items in Tasmanian shops would sit in the store for years before anyone purchased them, supply and demand.
A lot easier for you, probly just a stone throw from Daves Homebrew shop.

I don't drive, I order EVERYTHING online.....

I have never ordered from Daves though....

Check out some of the site sponsors.

Mate, you got Shafted.

40 bones for that bodge....yup, dodgy.

I mean you can fix it up and all will be well. but for what you paid, you'd expect it to be nice, neat, clean, tidy and well packed.
I don't mind paying extra for something if a little bit of care has gone into the product, but yeah, I would probably complain at the service and product just due to the price you paid.
Send them your photos and express that although you can use the product after you clean up their mess, you are less than satified with their products and service for the price they charge.

If you paid $15, who cares.
I think you should get what you paid for.

Dont complain to them, but provide constructive feedback!

Fingers of Beer

I should be able to drill the hole out larger I guess. There's also blue ink from the bottle rinser box impregnated into the mould lines on the bottom of the bucket.

Thats not bad, nothing as bad as I was imagining. But it does show the buggar does not know the proper drill bit or speed to drill at to drill out plastic cleanly. You are in luck because you can make a clean cut around that and have something easy to clean and without jaggies to harbor growths that are stubborn to remove during clean outs.

I'm a regular at Dave's and I can't say a bad thing about the team down there, seriously.

First time I visited the shop I was slightly taken aback by his personality, but his advice was sound and his prices are OK. Not the cheapest at all, but fair enough for Sydney.

At a guess, I would say something has gone awry that Dave isn't aware of. He's a decent and fair bloke who is prone to discounting things when you're buying a goodly amount. Give him a call, have a chat and I'm sure you can work something out.

That's not the worst drill/hole cut I've seen. I purchased a honey pail and honey gate from a honey maker's supply. The pail was very dirty, the hole looked like it had been made by a bull in rut and they didn't like my negative comments about it while I was in their store. Honey people seem to dislike brewers - they were exceedingly snotty. I just took it on the chin as I needed the pail and gate in a hurry. However, even if I have to import one from China next time I won't buy there again.

You can clean that hole up with a sharp knife. A few minutes and you'll be right.

Disclaimer: No affiliation, etc, etc. Just a customer. Just relating my experience. YMMV, etc.

Cheers - Fermented.

EDIT: Added 'clean that hole up' etc.

Back