Malt replacement: Barley beer with Brewers Compass®

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wynnum1

Reaction score
Anyone seen this been around for several years and a couple of companies looks like something you would get from china .
Producing beer from unmalted barley is far easier, more reliable and cost-effective than you may have thought with our Brewers Compass® enzyme. Combined with the expertise of our global brew masters, it reduces your dependence on raw materials like malt by using enzymes to produce high quality barley beer at the lowest cost.

http://www.dsm.com/markets/foodandbeverages/en_US/products/enzymes/brewing/brewers-compass.html

global brew masters = biochemists who know nothing about beer recruited by our management team. Look like a shortcut to producing the utterly tasteless beer.

It's a Netherlands-based multinational.

I was looking at a UK system a couple of years ago. One beer in a big tank, blended on the way to the tap with various coloured beer extract (concentrated dealcoholized beer) to produce a range of beers.
Another system from Europe that delivered over gravity un-carbonated beer, blended on the way to the bar with locally made soda water

Sometimes I often wonder about the future of brewing - I can't see this being any use unless you are a mega brewery producing vast quantities of lowest common denominator alcohol injector (I can't call it beer) - the processes require very precise control in purpose built facilities, not something that you would cobble up at home.
Mark

Soylent beer.

Made by people, for people, from people.

The ultimate in sustainability - a complete ourobouros.

Wasn't a guy from WA on radio brews news a while ago doing exactly this with one of his commercial beers?

It really doesn't look like quality beer is that companies focus... they used the term 'cheap/low-cost' far too many times, the focus is all wrong....

Using a single enzyme, will likely produce a single flavour (as far as that part of the process is concerned).....

It will be an enzyme mix, at a bare minimum there will be Glucanase, a couple of Proteases, a couple of Amylases and probably a couple more to help with filtration (Clarax type of thing).
I had a play with something similar when trying to make a gluten free beer from sorghum, major PITA got up to 45% yield which the enzyme people thought was pretty good (for red sorghum not barley) but it was a 6 hour mash with 7 steps after pre boiling the grist and letting it cool back to 36oC.

No fun to be had at all
Mark

"a mega brewery producing vast quantities of lowest common denominator alcohol injector (I can't call it beer)"

Sounds like the Trumans keg beers they used to sell in night clubs in the UK in the 1970s

And back in the "good ol '70s" a new thing called barley brewing was all the rage and going to change beer forever....... didn't work for some reason. Melanoidins maybe?

Wes

And whatever happened to continuous fermentation? Apart from a hold out in New Zealand of course.

Latest posts

Back