Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

Maisel's Weisse Yeast - Any Advice

Discussion in 'General Brewing Techniques' started by A3k, 16/7/08.

1. kabooby

Hey muscly arms!!!!

Home Page:
    Posted 16/7/08
    From my experience Wheat yeast does not keep that well. The last weizen I made came from a bottle cultured yeast and the beer turned out sour. I also heard on a Jamil show podcast that wheat yeast does not keep well. I have used fresh yeast for every weizen since and they have been great.

Anyway just something to be careful of. Maybe try making a small 2 litre batch first just to test the yeast. You could then even use that as a starter.

I am going to try putting my next fresh yeast on to slants and see if it keeps better that way

Kabooby :)

2. geoffi

Posted 16/7/08
    I've found that reculturing old slurry or repitching onto yeast cakes doesn't work as well for these beers as it does for other styles. Same should apply to bottle yeast, especially when it's travelled half way around the world.

A big starter to test the yeast is an excellent idea.

3. Doctormcbrewdle

Posted 26/5/18
    Not much talk on the grist? Maisel's Weisse is a carrot orange ebc and packed full of flavour

My best guess would be sweetness and flavour from Munich 1. 20 odd percent, colour from crystal. 1.5 percent odd, 50 percent wheat and 28 percent pils

4. gap

Posted 27/5/18
    not much talk on anything new seeing the OP is 10 years ago.

5. Doctormcbrewdle

Posted 27/5/18
    Does that mean any of the information is redundant?

No need to start a new thread, that would be wasteful

MHB likes this.