Maisel's Weisse Yeast - Any Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From my experience Wheat yeast does not keep that well. The last weizen I made came from a bottle cultured yeast and the beer turned out sour. I also heard on a Jamil show podcast that wheat yeast does not keep well. I have used fresh yeast for every weizen since and they have been great.

Anyway just something to be careful of. Maybe try making a small 2 litre batch first just to test the yeast. You could then even use that as a starter.

I am going to try putting my next fresh yeast on to slants and see if it keeps better that way

Kabooby :)

I've found that reculturing old slurry or repitching onto yeast cakes doesn't work as well for these beers as it does for other styles. Same should apply to bottle yeast, especially when it's travelled half way around the world.

A big starter to test the yeast is an excellent idea.

From my experience Wheat yeast does not keep that well. The last weizen I made came from a bottle cultured yeast and the beer turned out sour. I also heard on a Jamil show podcast that wheat yeast does not keep well. I have used fresh yeast for every weizen since and they have been great.

Anyway just something to be careful of. Maybe try making a small 2 litre batch first just to test the yeast. You could then even use that as a starter.

I am going to try putting my next fresh yeast on to slants and see if it keeps better that way

Kabooby :)

Not much talk on the grist? Maisel's Weisse is a carrot orange ebc and packed full of flavour

My best guess would be sweetness and flavour from Munich 1. 20 odd percent, colour from crystal. 1.5 percent odd, 50 percent wheat and 28 percent pils

not much talk on anything new seeing the OP is 10 years ago.

Back