Maiden brew on the new rig

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doubleplugga

Reaction score
Yesterday I finally got time to get the first brew done on my new system. It was a Rye IPA. The day went well with no problems at all. Managed to hit all my target numbers and volumes. Beersmith gave me an efficiency of 90.1% so I am pretty stoked for a first hit out on the system. Some pics below just showing a bit of the process. Its the first time I have used a HERMS system and the wort clarity was great. There is a pic of the wort going into the boil kettle where you can see how clear it is. The bittering hops are in there already as I am trying first wort hopping. Tap water temp was 29 degrees in Perth yesterday so after the plate chiller I just ran the silicon hose through an old plastic fermenter filled with ice water, pretty ghetto set up but it got the wort down to around 24 so the fridge didn't have to do too much work to get it down to pitching temp.
DSC_1051.JPGDSC_1052.JPGDSC_1053.JPGDSC_1057.JPGDSC_1059.JPGDSC_1069.JPGDSC_1068.JPGDSC_1070.JPG

Wow, nice looking kit and that wort looks good enough to drink as is.
Nice one!.

Good to see you finally brew on this beast. You must be releaved it's deflowered so to speak, after all that effort.

It was great to finally brew on it mate, your right. A years worth of building but it was worth it. It is so good to be able to punch a number into the PID's and then go and do something else whilst it does it's thing. So much easier than my old gas powered 3V set up that had no pumps and was all manual!!

That set-up looks AMAZING! But, really, you just punch in numbers and it does its thing?? Hmmm, not sure I would like that. It would be cool maybe once or twice, but I like being hands-on.

None the less, sweet looking system. :)

Token said:
That set-up looks AMAZING! But, really, you just punch in numbers and it does its thing?? Hmmm, not sure I would like that. It would be cool maybe once or twice, but I like being hands-on.

None the less, sweet looking system. :)
But there is only so much you can do whilst your wort is recirculating for 60-90 mins. Check the flow a couple of times to make sure you havent got a stuck mash and thats it really. A pid allows you to go and get your hops ready for the boil, cook some lunch, whatever, whilst the pid does its thing with your mash.

@DoublePlugga. That is one sweet looking setup and the best brew controller Ive seen on here.

Great looking rig mate, love the controlbox, looks like you're a fellow inspector gadget haha!

And as Truman says, there is only so much you can do during mash rest times, it's a bit like being in the army "Hurry up and wait!" Utilising PID controllers frees you up to do other stuff while making wort. The art of brewing is mainly in the kettle and fermenter!

Well done Doubleplugga

Screwy

Doubleplugga said:
It was great to finally brew on it mate, your right. A years worth of building but it was worth it. It is so good to be able to punch a number into the PID's and then go and do something else whilst it does it's thing. So much easier than my old gas powered 3V set up that had no pumps and was all manual!!
Similar question, curious to know what stages of your processes are automated ?

tks

Goose said:
Similar question, curious to know what stages of your processes are automated ?

tks
If you haven't already guys have a read of this thread. Keep a couple of tissues handy to wipe off the drool.

Thanks guys, it really is a great system youse and was worth the effort.
The only real automation so to speak is the temp control I suppose. I fill the HLT up to 20gallons, turn the element select switch to HLT and then punch the temp I would like into the HLT PID, turn on the water pump to recirculate the water and The PID fires the element until it gets to temperature. I can set an alarm to let me know when it reaches the required temp. THe element will then fire when needed to keep the water at temperature. Once at temp I need to connect a few hoses here and there and then pump mash water into the mash tun. Then turn on the wort pump to circulate mash water. Mash in for required time then sparge.
When boil kettle has required amount I just switch the element control to boil kettle and boil away. I just leave the boil PID on manual and fire the element continuously.
So yeah temp and pumps I suppose. Much better than my all manual no pumps 3V set up.
If only I had some sort of automated cleaning system!

Doubleplugga said:
NIce yes... but did you REALLY do something else? I would have pulled up lounge chair, cracked a brew and settled in to watch. Gotta be better than cricket! Looks awesome man!

yeah ok, you have me there! I did jump in the pool with the young bloke for a while, but the brew rig is within watching distance! watered the garden as well though. then cracked quite a few beers and just watched

It looks gorgeous. Is it possible to automate step mashes with this rig?

I'm not sure mate but I don't think so. I haven't read the full manual for these PID's but I don't think these ones can be programmed for it. I am of the understanding that Auberins do make a PID that is capable of programming in step times. Either way I can set the alarm to sound when the mash has hit a certain temp or time so I guess I could do a step mash of sorts without too much trouble, it wouldn't do it automatically though.

I bought most of it through his site mate. Control panel kit, heating elements, temp probes and HERMS coil. Bought the rest of it as I could afford it and put it together over the last year.

Latest posts

Back