Lots Of Bubbles On Side Of The Glass.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
My first BIAB Ag the Stone and Wood clone "sticks and stones" has been bottled about 3 weeks now. Tastes bloody fantastic but one thing I noticed was there are a lot of bubbles sticking to the side of the glass when you pour it. Its like nearly the entire surface of the glass is covered in tiny bubbles.

I used just under the measure line of one of those measure scoops when pouring my sugar in which was raw brown sugar.

Have I used to much for carbonation or is this normal?

I also estimated the alc vol to be about 5 % but it seems stronger than that, really knocks you for 6. The missus had one the other night and she was well and truelly on her way.. :icon_drunk:

My first BIAB Ag the Stone and Wood clone "sticks and stones" has been bottled about 3 weeks now. Tastes bloody fantastic but one thing I noticed was there are a lot of bubbles sticking to the side of the glass when you pour it. Its like nearly the entire surface of the glass is covered in tiny bubbles.

I used just under the measure line of one of those measure scoops when pouring my sugar in which was raw brown sugar.

Have I used to much for carbonation or is this normal?

I also estimated the alc vol to be about 5 % but it seems stronger than that, really knocks you for 6. The missus had one the other night and she was well and truelly on her way.. :icon_drunk:

That should be the correct amount of sugar Truman.
A few things to concider .. Did your brew ferment out all the way? Are your glasses as clean as possible? or perhaps scratched from stacking one inside the other. Does it happen with every glass? You might try pouring into a jug first.
Daz

my bet is dirty glasses.. when Ive come across this a good clean, detergent free, and it pours easily and clean... what do they call it... nuculation points can be anything from etchings to dust... ???

:icon_cheers:

Yep, a not properly cleaned glass will make the bubbles stick to the sides.

Beer makes a good glass cleaner - just tip it out into your mouth and fill it back up. Works a treat.

I think that the glass you are using may be nucleated...this is where the glass is chemically treated in manufacture to have microscopic pits etched into the glass and cause the CO2 to cascade up the sides. every new pint glass has minituare holes in it in order to bounce or circulate gas in draught beer- As glass gets old these holes gradually fill and so lose the ability to keep beer head vibrant- Glasses can be renovated or sandblasted to refresh!!!!!!
we only use such glasses here at our brewery restaurant, they make the beer sparkle and look great. There is nothing wrong with your priming rate.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Are_nucleated_pi...k#ixzz1beH0oj5b

I think that the glass you are using may be nucleated...this is where the glass is chemically treated in manufacture to have microscopic pits etched into the glass and cause the CO2 to cascade up the sides. every new pint glass has minituare holes in it in order to bounce or circulate gas in draught beer- As glass gets old these holes gradually fill and so lose the ability to keep beer head vibrant- Glasses can be renovated or sandblasted to refresh!!!!!!
we only use such glasses here at our brewery restaurant, they make the beer sparkle and look great. There is nothing wrong with your priming rate.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Are_nucleated_pi...k#ixzz1beH0oj5b
This is a very interesting thread, because I've been noticing some things with my beer glasses too. I bought four pilsner glasses a while back in a pack....one of them always gives the beer a beautiful creamy thick head. I pour the same beer into the other glasses and it's different. One hardly has any head at all! I also get the bubbling thing on the sides of some of the glasses for the first pour only. Subsequent pours of the same beer into that glass is much better. I never wash with detergent or dishwasher, always hand wash in water and dry with clean tea towel. Strange but true!

Give her a 2nd one and stop worrying? :)

I did..and life was good..... :icon_cheers:

My glasses are cheapos so that probably explains it. Also they were washed with soapy water.

I will buy some new ones and wash with warm water only.

At least it tastes really good. Im absolutely blown away at how good my AG brew was compared to my first kit beer which I still can't really drink due to the twang but it is getting better slowly.

Thanks for the replies.

Question - do you rinse your glasses after washing - makes all the difference in the world.

Question - do you rinse your glasses after washing - makes all the difference in the world.

Yeh I do rinse them. The only reason I used soap was because they are often covered with grease marks from when we've eaten chips etc..

At least it tastes really good. Im absolutely blown away at how good my AG brew was compared to my first kit beer which I still can't really drink due to the twang but it is getting better slowly.

Would I lie to you?

If you like your first AG now, wait until you taste your 5th, 10th and onward.

Well done on your first AG and welcome to the 'craft' of making beer.

Love your work

BF

Would I lie to you?

Love your work

BF

No you wouldnt BF.

I only managed to get 16 long necks out of this one due to not sparging and topping up and the missus and I have drunk all but two of them in just over 3 weeks.

Cant wait to get another batch down. :icon_cheers:

Would I lie to you?

Love your work

BF

Yep my new "Beer Gut" can atest to that as well. Been drinking far to much beer since I started doing AG.

Bottoms up Lads!

Latest posts

Back