Lock Up You Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dettol is no fun. i dont even think it works that great. my weapon of choice for toad hunting is a 8 foot tomato stake. pointy end for quickly finishing them (point between the eyes, smack down on the top, crack), long to practice the golf swing or baseball swing, long to catch the buggers as they try to get away. that and a bottle of zippo fluid makes for a fun night of hunting

XD go queensland!!!

You are correct re the dettol Lobsta. It is supposed to give the toads an agonising death & even if they are toads I would not wish that on them.
A sharp thrust just behind the eyes with a garden fork does it for me.
In my early days, a drive around the back streets of Mooloolaba used to result in a bounty of squashed toads but not enough to stop the bastards from spreading. :(

TP :beer:

Air rifle and a home brew sitting on the patio,toads are the target
Wonderful way to spend a night now amd then.

Batz ;)

I've read that if you do use peanut butter, you should toast or burn the outer layer with a lighter before setting the trap. FWIW, I have used peanut butter as bait in the past, with no luck. Might try pumpkin seeds this year. All of my grain was stored away just today, in 60L heavy rubbermaid bins- on sale atm@ bunnings for just $9.95 w/locking lid. Black bins, too.

reVox

I am really of the belief that you should look at problems like this from a whole of greenhouse / carbon footprint view rather than an outdated capital based mindset.
Those plastic bins are actaully made of plastic, plastic is on the whole made from non-renewable inputs such as petrochemicals and is about as biodegradable as a neuclear reactor.
I used to lock my grains up in all sorts of contraptions till one day when I was spreading a few grains around the back yard for the cats (birds fly in to eat the grain, nature takes its course and I reduce my carbon footprint by not buying cans of catfood) when it struck me..why not do something for our native birds and let the cats cats eat mice instead..I leave my bags open, the mice migrate to an easy food source and the cats have fun as well as food...an unfortunate side affect is that the cockroaches who eat the remnants of the mice have increased but I am working on a clean green solution to this as well, although they not very edible I am thinking that I can crush them for a bio-fuel base.

K

In order of preference my choice would be: Shot-gun (bit too loud & messy)
Snake (scare the sh!t out of me)
Cat (I am allergic but appreciate their efforts)

When we had our warehouse at Lane Cove we were getting through 1.5 - 2 tonne a week & never had a mouse problem. No droppings, no chewed bags, no problems at all. The guy we were leasing the space from wasn't supposed to have us there as we were storing perishables or foodstuff, but a few long-necks of Green Star & he looked the other way.We never used any baits or traps as to my way of thinking they attract the mice to pay you a visit, but I think the most important part was that we never opened a bag of grain in the warehouse, so there was no dust or spillage to attract them either.

At home in the garage was a different story, as if there was a bag to be opened & repackaged that was were it happened. There was a family of mice that tried to have a go, but we kept the open bags in bins. I had about 8 Kookaburras that used to turn up every day for a feed of cheap steak. I saw them pick off a few mice & that was the last time we saw a mouse there.

Cheers
Gerard

Pumpkin seed or a piece of bacon rind spiked on.If you then tie the rind on securely with cotton you will catch several mice before having to change the rind.

I always had trouble with the mice either eating the cheese or licking the peanut butter off the trap, my neighbour then told me to melt the cheese onto the trap.

i have never missed a mouse since and you get excellent mileage from one piece of cheese.

Rook

Well a good haul here lately :D caught 4 mice over night all using chocolate for bait...the little buggers where into the left over easter loot.

So if you have never tried it, chuck some cadbury easter eggs on your traps and they work a treat.

Pok

I've always had great results with sunflower seeds superglued to the trap...

Gotta love it when you see their eyes popping out & blood dribbling out their little mouths.. B)

Peanut butter worked a treat for me. Though I have just got a kitten which Im thinking will work even better.

Peanut butter worked a treat for me. Though I have just got a kitten which Im thinking will work even better.

I would stick with the peanut butter - unless your mice really like the taste of kitten :lol: :lol:

You gotta love cheese.

BYB

Team_work.jpg

View attachment TEAM_WORK.htm

Here's my solution:

I have a very stupid cat. She lives in the garage due to being a whack-job that likes to mark her territory (unusual in female cats). I have seen a mouse or two in there, and suspect they are eating the cat's food. She is so totally useless and probably oblivious to all of it. Oh, I should also mention as further evidence of just how mental this cat is, she eats her food in rows... the cat food is always eaten to leave a perfectly straight line. Recently however, there hasn't been any food left.

I keep my grain inside in a spare room. We have another cat, that just last week proved her worth by catching a mouse that had ventured inside. Judging by the location of the catch (I heard the cat react and catch the thing), I'd say it came from the garage.

So I have a "honeypot" that keeps the mice away from the grain, and if they do come closer, the switched on cat makes short work of them.

I keep mi grain in metal bins and have never had a mouse problem.
Weevils are something else entirely though :)

MFS.

I've always had great results with sunflower seeds superglued to the trap...

Gotta love it when you see their eyes popping out & blood dribbling out their little mouths.. B)

:( uncalled for.....

If you can find their hole, a mixture of equal parts concrete powder and milk powder filling their hole will do the trick. The milk powder is to encourage them to eat through the filling powder, the concrete petrifies them from the inside out. Best bit is they don't stink up the place if they die inside the walls....

Wow, neat trick Dave. I'll have to test that theory out for the bugger I got scampering around in my roof at night.

Back