Lock Up You Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you can find their hole, a mixture of equal parts concrete powder and milk powder filling their hole will do the trick. The milk powder is to encourage them to eat through the filling powder, the concrete petrifies them from the inside out. Best bit is they don't stink up the place if they die inside the walls....

Isn't their hole just under their tail???? I guess you'd have to catch them first and use a small syringe?? :D

I just put my bull terrier's bed next to the grain bins. She's been known to jag the odd mouse, or pidgeon, or neighbor's escaped guinea pig or...... Provides a good deterent.

Rats have been an issue here. They haven't made it into the grain, but they had decided that the roof cavity makes a great home.

They didn't touch the ratsack. So we bought some single feed Talon blocks. That did kill two rats.

Poison is a worry as the dog or cat may catch and eat a poisoned animal. Also, dead rats in the roof cavity stink, and even worse if they drop into a wall cavity.

The best result has been traps baited with bacon rind or beef sinew. The bait dries on the trap trigger and shrinks. This is hard for them to remove without triggering the trap. Do tie the trap with a bit of string to something. A few times, the trap has only caught the animal by the tail or a leg, and they then manage to drag the trap off.

Caught two in one trap one evening.

The funniest was the young rat that decided to go down the clothes dryer vent from the ceiling cavity. It couldn't climb back out. The cat was trying very hard to work out how to get into the clothes dryer.

Total over the last two weeks is seven half grown and one full grown rat.

Both the dog and cat have been doing a good job on any mice. If we find that they have an area staked out, we shift things around and usually the dog or cat come up trumps.

The brown snake that was here two weeks ago, right near the dining room door was really not wanted.

The cat and dog are on mouse duty around our place.

The cat appears to be averaging 1 or 2 a week at the moment. The only problem is that he catch them, then brings them into the house alive to play with :blink: Sometimes he gets bored and lets the little buggers go inside the house until I find them and get him to go after them again.

The dog, a Jack Russell, ain't bad either though she doesn't actually catch the mice. Waits until the cat catches them then rips them apart damn quick. Much better than than the cat bringing them into the house.

I think that our problem may be that I've just been dumping piles of spent grain on the garden which is attracting mice from over the back fence. SWMBO has vetoed that now and insists that the grain go in the bin now.

gary

What is it with you guys and not liking snakes? the pic of the one earlier was quite good looking, I would love to have it hanging around my place! But that said, I'm a bit of a reptile enthusiast...

My last batch was the last pre-crushed batch, and it was sitting in the sack (I have big orders, so a lot of the time they put my order into empty grain sacks) in the brew room- hole chewed in the side real quick :) Of course, I still used all the grain, and when I finished I was glad to discover there was no mice still in it :p

up to 8 now.... I think we need another Cat...since out last cat past away we have had a problem....live traps are much more efficient (furry or slithery)

>up to 8 now.... I think we need another Cat...<

put some poison down and get rid of both rodents.

Isn't their hole just under their tail???? I guess you'd have to catch them first and use a small syringe?? :D

:lol: matr, that was very funny.
Are you sure you`re on the right forum :lol:

staga.

>up to 8 now.... I think we need another Cat...<

put some poison down and get rid of both rodents.

So the count went to 13 over night. Bloody hell!!

Sick of using poison because they tend to want to go and die in the ceiling or wall cavities where we can't get them out. Atleast with traps I know they are dead and can remove them from the house!!!

up to 23 now.... think we really need to invest in a fluffy mouse trap!!!

Back