Lock Up You Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
the mice are afer my grain ,they always come in when the weather gets colder

best trap is the cheap wooden one,you get two for 99 cents in Bunnings

dont bother with the plastic expensive fancy ones fom WW.

I have caught three already .

Pumpy :)

Ive got a great mice/rat catcher. cost me $100 from rspca....a Cat. its catches them and the dog then plays with them. actualy its too efficent. it also catches birds, guinnee pigs etc. it doesnt kill them,. it like to catch and release (except for mice/rate which it kills).

Damn vermon after your grain Pumpy. yeah the old cheap woodern ones are the best. KISS is the key. they are only mice for christs sake. who needs a $10 trap!

CM I would like a cat they love catching mice

The best bait fot the traps is bread squashed ard on the little trip

Pumpy

tried using peanut butter?

I was a bit worried unless the mouse had a peanut allergy .

OBM I picked some of that up this morning will give it a go. just smear some on the trip?

Pumpy :)

Me old grandfather used to swear by pumpkin seeds, but I never tried it. Always just did the bread thing

yeah, you should be able to get it on there good and proper. bit harder for the little buggers to grab it and run

Me old grandfather used to swear by pumpkin seeds, but I never tried it. Always just did the bread thing

+1 or sunflower seed from bird seed... Just stick the little prongs in to it...

cheers

my vote is for peanut butter as well (at least for those that are not lucky enough to have a cat), they smell it from miles away and it sticks well to the trap. cought the little ******* that lived behind the heater at my old place within half an hour

-Phill

My preference is to put an impenetrable barrier between the rodent and the grain.

All my grain is in plastic tubs.

They have HUGE plastic tubs that would hold probably 50kg of grain from the local cheapie shop for about $20.

Oh, and the grain stays in its bags with a good tight piece of twine to stop any moths or weevils from getting in.

Peanut butter just put it on five trap one it has already licked it off the trap and its gone

Pumpy :(

Peanut butter just put it on five trap one it has already licked it off the trap and its gone

Pumpy :(

I've always had good success with chocolate, it's easy to wedge on the trap and doesn't seem to get "licked" off.

I was a bit worried unless the mouse had a peanut allergy .
you certainly are the sensitive type pumpy. wouldnt want the poor bugger having some reaction when its neck gets snapped.

What happened to mice liking cheese? Cheese is the only thing ive ever heard of anyone using until I read this post...

From memory, cheese give mice high blood pressure but more likely is that cheese tends to go crumbly after being out for a few days. You want the mouse to trigger the trap, not to get a free feed.

Googled it and found this
" Mice will eat cheese if it given to them, however it is a myth that they are more attracted to it than other foods. I their natural environment mice would not find cheese, but rather grains and fruits.

In truth mice should not eat cheese, most mice are lactose intolerant and eating cheese can cause stomach problems and diarrhea, which can lead to dehydration. If you are looking to give you mice a treat choose something that is closer to their natural food(sugar free cereals, vegetables, small amounts of fruit-but not too much fruit as it can also cause stomach upset)."
[http://au.answers.yahoo.com/answers2/frontend.php/question?qid=20080112221058AARqZB1]

Pumpkin seeds or crust of bread pushed hard onto the prongs always worked for me.

Bit of bacon rind spiked onto the trigger. Something they have to work at along the same lines as the seed strategy.

Never spill grain around the plastic bins, the little bastards can chomp their way straight through plastic if they thing it is worthwhile.

I've got one of those long slithery traps, know when he's in the shed cos the Gecko's dissapear. Neighbour came over screaming one night, he was curled up on her doorstep and she wanted him gone (sure he had planned on cat dinner, he was curled up beside the mat where her cat often sleeps), put him in a bag and told her I would take him away and let him go in the bush. I did but only about 200M away. He was back a couple of days later saw, spotted him in a tree in the back yard.

Back