Local Homebrew Shops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 for another happy MHB customer. Mark's certainly not the cheapest around and even he admits that however the reason I go there is simple. He knows what he is doing! The knowledge of the guy is astounding and second to none as far as I'm concerned. As was said he doesn't get paid for his advice, but anyone that knows Mark knows his advice is gold! So I don't mind paying abit more because his advice is free.

So it kinda does make him pretty cheap, hey? Not that anyone could ever consider his prices that expensive anyway. By the time you bought it anywhere else and freighted it to Newcastle like he does, it would be price comparative or cheaper I'd think.

And yeah.. +2

Not that Mark really likes or needs anyone blowing his trumpet for him, but he offers a really really great service to the whole scale of brewers out there, K+K ers, AG ers and even advice to some of the commercial guys, so credit where credit is due and he has really gone way out of his way to help me out.

So, yeah, I'm with HKS, as far as value in a LHBS is concerned, we've got it pretty good here in Newcastle, my LHBS is one of the best things I've found in this hobby. All I can say is, if you are in or around Newcastle and you haven't been to Mark's Home Brew yet, I suggest you go check it out and see how far wrong I am

I appreciate that my LHBS has alot of stuff and is open on sundays and public holidays, however I have never felt as though my custom is appreciated. While I am sure the staff are sick to death of hearing what people are brewing, and how great it is they could at least feel a bit more connected with their cutomers if they asked what was being brewed, I ahve given up[ making conversation, as it always seems to end up with them going on a bit of a rant, or self depricating throw-away line which leaves me feeling rather depressed as I head off home

I believe NSW is the worst state for HB shops (no offence to NSW shop owners) that also excludes TAS and NT

In QLD you have craftbrewer
In VIC you have G&G
In SA you have BeerBelly
In WA you have Gryphon

Also shops which are really west suited for AG brewers (from what I can see from their websites), however, NSW doesn't really have anyone with the range of AG gear this these guys.

Why is this? Do other NSW people feel the same way - or am I just a pissed crazy fool :huh:

The LHBS's near me are disappointing and I can see myself ordering in bulk then making a day of it to collect the goods from Brisbane (I'm ~2 hours away from Craftbrewer). The two local stores near me have a mix of good and very bad, one has good advice but shocking stocks and the other has reasonable stocks but shocking advice (and even mentioned that he "tries not" to sell grain). I have no idea how they can stay running with the business sense they have sometimes and it makes me wonder how much money could be made if they just put some effort into running the stores.

I live in Western Sydney. Within 5-20 minutes from me are three stores, each offering something a little different than the other.

For me, Absolute Homebrew at St Marys (also at Faulconbridge) is perfect. Pat has taken the time to understand what I like to drink and what level I brew at. When I was reaching the end of trying different types of K&K (never sugar!) he had the partial kits ready. It didn't take long from there that I was interested in AG. Again, Absolute Homebrew had all the ingredients I needed ... and most importantly Pat was able to help with the transition - from equipment to recipes.

He also helped when I was changing to kegs, with advice and equipment.

Supplies are also available online via their website.

IMO:

"In QLD you have craftbrewer
In VIC you have G&G
In SA you have BeerBelly
In WA you have Gryphon"
In NSW you have Absolute Homebrew

Any shops on the Gold Coast here are more in to inefficient methods of "water purification" than anything else. What a load of s___.

+1 for absolutehomebrew/bmbrew
i live 5min walk down the road from the faulconbridge shop. Pat knows alot about AG, He runs demos he brews just about every sunday. his website is full of info, it got me into partial's which has led me into AG.
my only gripe is that he is down at the stmary's shop all of the week except for sunday's so if i have a question i have to wait. :lol:

I ahve given up[ making conversation, as it always seems to end up with them going on a bit of a rant, or self depricating throw-away line which leaves me feeling rather depressed as I head off home
LOL you have to HTFU.
Stick it up them, give em a serve, it`s your money they`re putting their hand out for.
What have you got to lose?

staggalee.

+1 for absolutehomebrew/bmbrew
i live 5min walk down the road from the faulconbridge shop. Pat knows alot about AG, He runs demos he brews just about every sunday. his website is full of info, it got me into partial's which has led me into AG.
my only gripe is that he is down at the stmary's shop all of the week except for sunday's so if i have a question i have to wait. :lol:

You probably live next door to my inlaws :p They would be the eco ones with the solar panels and the chickens..... it's only a small 'township' afterall.....

Reminds me, I really need to hurry up and work out my next order, otherwise I won't have anything for the next batch...

I believe NSW is the worst state for HB shops (no offence to NSW shop owners) that also excludes TAS and NT

In VIC you have G&G
In SA you have BeerBelly
In WA you have Gryphon

Also shops which are really west suited for AG brewers (from what I can see from their websites), however, NSW doesn't really have anyone with the range of AG gear this these guys.

Why is this? Do other NSW people feel the same way - or am I just a pissed crazy fool :huh:

:huh: .. Dude!

I would reply to that with in NSW we have MHB...

Why don't you take a half day one day and come up and see him on a Saturday morning, I'm sure you'll be impressed with his Brew Bricks that he can organise for you... ;)

In VIC you have G&G
In SA you have BeerBelly
In WA you have Gryphon

As others have already pointed out, there are several good hbs's in nsw. I go to MHB, even though he is 200km away. He has exceptional beer knowledge, has a huge range of grain and hops (plus NNL fwk's), and a brewbook library that would make yer average brewer weep, and possibly lose days on his loungechairs reading through it. Several succesful pro brewers are the product of mark and his shop, and he is extremely helpful (plus gives us a place to do case swaps, and overseas beer tastings.) I have no doubts of the credentials of the brewshops you have listed, but you can't bag nsw when it has at least one, and it sounds like more, high quality brewshops. I have no idea on his prices, I never ask, but I have no doubts they would be very similar to the others you have mentioned, and the man will help with brewery design, any advice you need, really.
Surely some people will debate whether this or that shop is better, but if they look after you, give you the right advice and you are happy, then it cannot be a bad lhbs. The newy lads are very lucky to have MHB, in my experience.
T.

I live in Fornton so my LHBS of sorts, was SMOKPOT in the Terrace

But in my thirst for Beer knowledge and greatness I have gravitated towards MHBS and haven't looked back

Closest HBS for me is Beerbelly, about 10 mins from home (or 2 mins from work). :)

Always plenty of grain there!

+1 for BeerBelly, also 10 mins away (I'm in Clearview).
Get in there!!

+2 for the belly full of beer.

I'm in Clearview as well/work at Mawson Lakes.

Looks like there's some brewin going on just around the corner from my place!

As others have already pointed out, there are several good hbs's in nsw. I go to MHB, even though he is 200km away. He has exceptional beer knowledge, has a huge range of grain and hops (plus NNL fwk's), and a brewbook library that would make yer average brewer weep, and possibly lose days on his loungechairs reading through it. Several succesful pro brewers are the product of mark and his shop, and he is extremely helpful (plus gives us a place to do case swaps, and overseas beer tastings.) I have no doubts of the credentials of the brewshops you have listed, but you can't bag nsw when it has at least one, and it sounds like more, high quality brewshops. I have no idea on his prices, I never ask, but I have no doubts they would be very similar to the others you have mentioned, and the man will help with brewery design, any advice you need, really.
Surely some people will debate whether this or that shop is better, but if they look after you, give you the right advice and you are happy, then it cannot be a bad lhbs. The newy lads are very lucky to have MHB, in my experience.
T.

+1

It's quite hard to add to Trent and also Schooey's comments but I know for one us Newcastle brewers would be up shit creek without Marks Home Brew. I know the majority of my AG brew equipment has been bought from or made by Mark over the years. I also have no idea on his prices as I don't care. He stocks every grain I could possibly want and the info I get from one visit is worth anything more I may pay, thats if indeed I do pay more then other suppliers?

Also as Trent touched on his shop gives us a social outlet for things such as case swaps and tasting nights. I know if I hadn't been apart of these I would never have had some beers I've never seen available in Aus and met and learnt from some of what I see to be some of the most knowledgeable brewers in Australia both from a amateur and pro level. I know I never would have met Shawn years back before his days at Murrays Craft Brewing Co who evidently taught we how to full mash brew without contact though Mark.

Cheers

+1 MikE, now that my taste buds have been exposed to AG beer, the craftbrewer style just dont do it for me either...

That being said the Jovial Monk (my LHBS) is an interesting visit, however more range and grain options is what I would like to see more of.

JM does keep his hops and yeast in the fridge though.

Cheers.

I also used to frequent JM as he was the closest shop that stocked grain & hops. Trouble was that he often didn't have what I needed and the 'interesting' part of the visit was starting to get to me.

Thankfully BB started stocking grain and hops and a pretty decent variety too. I found the prices pretty damn reasonable and a visit is kind of on my way home from work as opposed to the weekend trek across town I had to do to JM's.

+3 for BB (damn, too early for rymin')

:icon_cheers: Soz

How come none of you Adelaide blokes use Grumpy`s?
Are they still operating their Brewshop?

staggalee.

my LHBS isn't the cheapest, actually a little bit on the expensive side. But my local Kmart doesn't stock anything other than Coopers or Brigalow. So I don't mind paying ~$6 markup on each tin of goo I buy.

How come none of you Adelaide blokes use Grumpy`s?
Are they still operating their Brewshop?

staggalee.

I've used Brad and Phil a couple of times, stagga. Good blokes, good service, and good advice. But the brewshop itself isn't going anymore. The guys are still operating from their website, and under a differant name. http://stillbrewing.com.au/

For me, now that Beerbelly has moved, he's just 10 minutes up the road, and as I have to drive right past his door on a regular basis anyway, convenience wins out for me.

Latest posts

Back