Local Homebrew Shops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ive gotta say im guilty of the occasional bulk buy purchase but without the LHBS (greensbough) id be screwed best place to get friendly service advice & almost anything brew related plus a good chat & a complimentry beer sure its dearer than shopping on the internet but i recon its well worth the extra couple on bucks 3 cheers & long live the local oh yeah & screw heidelberg brewcraft there customer service is shameful the wouldnt raise has eyes from has paper unless you scream FIRE :lol:

While we still have cheaper beer in New Zealand than AU, our range of LHBS are reasonably suited to K&K. Having said that when I do go into my LHBS they ask what I've been up to which is cool.

When I asked for certain ingredients (hops, malt) they sourced them, and now stock them which was also cool. I source locally first which restricts it to doing partials, or K&K if buying from the LHBS. A locally craft brewery supplies must of us in Christchurch with our grain and hops needs now, but mail order for the rest.

Support your local Brew shop or go without one.
If the local shop can't supply with what you need go else were.
I recall the day when I was in sales that you got to give the consumers what they want not the other way.
Rather then go whining about the expense tell the people what you are after.
I am sure if you are reasonable in your request they will help you along.
:)

The face of retail is changing radically, for example five years ago it was only a small minority that were comfortable with online transactions. Zoom to 2009, and everyone's tapping away at the computer. So with this rise in digital storefronts, it's only fair to say that 'special interest' stores are going to be on the decline in a few years time. I am in the same boat as Pollux in that I live in the inner (ish) suburbs of Sydney, don't drive (dont need to), and there are no stores around unless I undertake a 2+hr round trip to either Nth Sydney or Asquith. So belold the wonderful magic that is the internet, I can place an order one day, have it delivered the very next day, all for eight bucks or less. That's cheaper than a train ticket or petrol for most who dont have a seller next door. As for invaluable advice, theres a ton of it right here.

Once people start changing their buying habits en masse, retaiolers in any sector will start to crunch the numbers. Lets say your local HBS makes only 30% of his profit from walk-in business ? It soon becomes obvious that of he shut his doors for good and operated mail order out of his shed he would be better off financially (and less travel time too)

Just another slant on the 'use it or lose it' theory.

Well, I just received my first online order from Absolute Homebrew, all beautifully packaged and very fast....

Talk about customer service, first Pat called me on Friday as he was out of Carafa and wanted to know what I wanted as a substitute, then today I am sitting there unpacking the box....."Malt, Malt, Dex, Hops, Yeast, Grains, WTF, someone's glasses!!"

Give Pat a ring, he'll get them back later this week, must have fallen in the base of the box while he was packing it....

It was my LHBS that got me into brewing [sort of] , I was sick of K@K after a couple of batches and he could not supply what I wanted, found Grumpys online in early 04 and lurked on this site for months, the rest is history.
So in a round about way I am thankful for my local HBS, still buy little things like a cube [yesterday], dry yeast last week in case my starter failed, I noted he has fresh wort packs now that are walking out the door , now that's a good start, but K@K is 90% of his trade.

I find the guys at esb and thebrewshop are great. Always up for a chat and very knowlegable.
It's a shame homebrewworld is no longer. That place was even closer to home!

I wanted to see if I could get some Danstar Nottingham today, there's a HBS nearby to work (Campbelltown) so I rang them on the off chance.

The proprietor said that he had never heard of it.

Apparently the business is for sale. I'm not wondering why B)

cheers

grant

I wanted to see if I could get some Danstar Nottingham today, there's a HBS nearby to work (Campbelltown) so I rang them on the off chance.

cheers

grant

That Guy in Campbelltown is only good for few things.
some Brewing equipment and stills
Spirit essences and expensive Kits. S05, S04, S23 and stale pre cracked grains.
Though I have managed to order stuff through him a few times with success.
I hope the next owner is a little more affiliated with the brewing community needs but I don't expect it to be any cheaper.
Its a bloody small shop. The turn over must not be great.

I use 2 brewshops in the E and SE of Melbourne, but neither are close to home. I also buy cans from Coles, Kmart and BigW.
The brewshops are good for advice and i don't mind spending $3 more for good understanding and service but one of the 2 the understanding and service is lacking a little.
However, if i want hops or yeast i can't get them from Kmart!

Alright, I need some advice regarding my purchase....

The hops are in their foil pack in a glad bag in the freezer, the dry yeast is in it's packs in in a glad bag in the fridge...

The DEX and LDME are in their sealed bags in a big plastic tub..

Now, i also ordered some Speciality grains which came precrushed...

Where should I be keeping these???

I use 2 brewshops in the E and SE of Melbourne, but neither are close to home. I also buy cans from Coles, Kmart and BigW.
The brewshops are good for advice and i don't mind spending $3 more for good understanding and service but one of the 2 the understanding and service is lacking a little.
However, if i want hops or yeast i can't get them from Kmart!
If you're in the west or close to the city grain and grape might be closer.

Alright, I need some advice regarding my purchase....

The hops are in their foil pack in a glad bag in the freezer, the dry yeast is in it's packs in in a glad bag in the fridge...

The DEX and LDME are in their sealed bags in a big plastic tub..

Now, i also ordered some Speciality grains which came precrushed...

Where should I be keeping these???
Just keep them dry, cool and out of the light. They'll last for a while, especially in a barrier bag, in the tub with the malt extracts.

Not in the fridge, and not in the freezer either.

That Guy in Campbelltown is only good for few things.
some Brewing equipment and stills
Spirit essences and expensive Kits. S05, S04, S23 and stale pre cracked grains.
Though I have managed to order stuff through him a few times with success.
I hope the next owner is a little more affiliated with the brewing community needs but I don't expect it to be any cheaper.
Its a bloody small shop. The turn over must not be great.

Maybe we can talk Franko into making a compo claim and buy 'Him' out??

cheers

grant

Since I'm not good at following these things, you're talking about Bill, are you? Or a different LHBS?

Maybe we can talk Franko into making a compo claim and buy 'Him' out??
hehe
Brokeback brewshed
Park your Vespa and brew on THE RED ROCKETbrewery
I'll sign up now for next brew class
:lol:

Just keep them dry, cool and out of the light. They'll last for a while, especially in a barrier bag, in the tub with the malt extracts.

Not in the fridge, and not in the freezer either.

Thats exactly what I wanted to hear.... :D :D

Now, once I cut the bags this weekend....Will those clips you buy at Ikea that are designed to reseal food bags (ie these) be good enough for the grains, malt and dex if I use the bags they came in??

Or is this an excuse for me to spend more money on tupperware??

Latest posts

Back