Little Creatures Next Single Batch

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got 2 bottles of Puffing Billy the other night IMHO not the best beer to put out as single batch.
Found it a little ordinary and not worth the money.

Franko

Split a case with a mate for $65. Mild smoke taste, but not over bearing. Decent beer but was expecting more.

decent but not amazing....might buy it again before its run ends...or maybe not

First experience of the Bock style (since I actually had my beer 'awakening' post stint living in Europe...god knows how many nice beers I drank while living in Munich without taking the time to appreciate it......doh!)

This may not be an exciting beer but its another example of a VERY well balanced beer. Smoke malt comes out maybe a bit too much as it warms but its a nice introduction to smoke in beers (as apposed to Bamburg 'Smoked Bacon in a Biscuit' Schlenkerla). Clean as a whistle. Reading the BJCP style notes while drinking this its pretty well spot on with the exception of the smoked malt.

Surely LC deserve some sort of kudos for getting lots of Aussies to taste styles of beer that they would normally not get a chance to? How many other Bock beers are on sale around the Mid North Coast of NSW?

I found that throwing it in the freezer for 10 minutes allows the smoky flavours to come out as the beer will freeze slightly in the glass

Underwhelmed!!!!!!!!!!!

IMO, they waved smoked malt over the mash tun.

Screwy

Smoked malt is one of those dividing characteristics. As I said before the Bamburg beers are way too much for me. I like smoked malt used at a barely perceptible level but Screwy, you seem to want it more up front. Again considering the audience LC are playing too you can forgive them for going easy?

I thought the smoke was a little too strong. I guess it's a dividing issue. Still drinkable, not sure it would be something I would want to drink a slab of though. Well worth sampling, for sure.

Just having my first try of this - love the smoke!! But I'm a bit of a smoked malt junkie. :icon_drool2:

Most of all though I liked the aroma, very nice.

Picked up a 4 pint mixed pack with the puffing billy. News is a bit old but it was nice, but didn't blow me away. I enjoyed the LCPA more.

Single Batches are a chance for us to flex our creative muscle a little bit, whether that be by having a crack at a new style of beer, or in this case, put a fresh spin on an old classic.
Mr Obadiah is a silky, chocolaty Rye Porter with some dark nutty notes and a decent hit of spiciness from the malt. If this sounds like something your tastebuds might be into, then we're hosting a few shouts to give you the chance to sample it first.

431851_10151701170713478_255208111_n.jpg

awesome and I havent even finished the case of Red IPA from the last single batch.... :lol:

The red IPA never made it to Darwin. Wonder if this one will? The one before the red IPA, "Puffing Billy" think it was, managed to get some of that up here.

I'm drinking a bottle of Mr Obadiah now.

A thick creamy beige/brown head. I have some great lacing all the way down the side of the glass. On the nose, the first hit is definitely chocolate, then maybe some hazelnut. It seems to be fairly lightly carbonated, probably around the 2.0 volume mark.

The rye really shone from the first sip, and is only getting better as it warms. I'm surprised at how heavily hopped it is. It gives it quite a sharp, clean finish but I can't help but wonder how much smoother it would have been without the bitterness (55 IBU according to the bottle).

Very enjoyable, and it'll likely cellar well.

The Rule Of Three

Some things are just better in threes... think about it: The BeeGees, Blind Mice, even flavours in Neopolitan ice-cream. It just works, it's harmonious. That's why our new Single Batch is called The Rule of Three, because it balances three of our favourite things, assertive hops, biscuity malt and spicy phelonic yeast... if you wanted to peg it down to a style, we'd say it's like a Belgian Dubbel meets an English Special Bitter.

It's bottling now and will be hitting the road in the next couple of weeks. In the meantime before you can grab it at your favourite beer loving venue, we'll be hosting Brewer's Shouts at each of our venues around the place on Thursday 13 March:
sounds interesting

Latest posts

Back