Little Creatures Bright Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neill you might be better off keeping your boil the same time length and just increase your final hop additions for a more intense flavour and aroma. No point using more hops than you need to.

If your worried about it being too bitter, decrease your initial hop addition a little.

All the best, and I love your Avatar by the way :icon_cheers:

Dave.

Very old thread.

But

Hopefully someone can help.

I'm looking at brewing this in the coming days.

Can anyone give me some pointers???

LITTLE CREATURE'S BRIGHT ALE

1 can Blackrock India Pale Ale

250g cracked Crystal Malt grain

250g wheat malt extract

500g light malt extract

250g dextrose

15g Amarillo hops

1 sachet Safale US05

Put the grain into 2L of water. Bring this to the boil slowly and simmer for 30 mins. Add the hops to the liquid and let it simmer for another 30 mins. Strain the liquid into the fermenter and dissolve the contents of the tins. Follow the T.H.B.S. brewing instructions. Allow to mature for 2 - 3 months.

Thanks.

Don't boil your grains. See below for instructions.
manticle said:
I just read through the brewcraft tutorial. While it's not the most technical or informative of pieces it's a darned sight better than the average kit instructions and will help new and KK brewers brew much better beer than brigalow or tooheys ever could.

That said - the one thing that does stick out like a sore thumb is treatment of grains.

First of all they are (hopefully) talking specifically about specialty grains as base grains will be a different process. Secondly, as Glaab said - you do not (and should not) need to bring them to the boil or simmer them. Steep (soak) in hot water (around 70 degrees) for 30 -60 mins. Strain grains and boil remaining liquid.

ARCHIE82 said:
Just thought i would update on my brew. Went passed grain and grape with the recipe and one of the guys there told me to use the following:

Coopers Pale Ale
Coopers Liquid malt extract
20g B-Saaz
20g Cascade
US-05

Boil 10g Saaz and cascade for 20 mins then add 10g of each and let steep for a further 15 minutes then strain into fermenter.
I also changed the Coopers pale ale to the Coopers IPA just out of personal curiosity.

Its sitting fermenting at 18 degrees comfortably (Thankyou Tempmate!)

Some time this week i am hoping to get my hands on corny keg to keg this brew and the remainder bottle.
Final Volume 22 liters
OG was 1.040 although my hydrometer is a cheap $10 one from Kmart that only measures to 1.040 so my next investment along with the keg is a better hydrometer.

What Manticle said (quoted by Kenlock) - don't boil the crystal grains. Don't know thbs?

1. Steep them for 30 mins or so in water @70C
  2. If you can, top up water to 5L + Add your 500g DME
  3. Then bring to the boil and do your Hop boil for however long (boil the wort for 30 minutes, add your hops at 30/15/10/5/0/ whenever) since the Kit can should contain enough bittering and usually lack in the flavour/ aroma, I would consider say a 10 min and 0 minute addition or even a 10 minute and a dry hop addition
  4. Go as usual from there - swirl your other fermentables (dry first) with this wort in the FV, then add Kit can, then top up with cold water and pitch yeast at the right temp, etc.

take my hops advice with a grain of salt, I dont drink much LCBA - that was more generic advice

There are some good posts about 'pimping' kits if you search this forum and also people seem to post them in the Partial forum too.

Latest posts

Back