LiquorCraft / BrewCraft / Australia home brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Their store in Resovoir is where I got the muntons kit I'm Fermenting now. Smells like vinegary balls so I dare say it'll see the drain long before it sees a bottle.

Update: took the sample to the brew shop - the guy reckons it was all good but the standard yeast was of course too small to process all the sugar so there was a bit of residual sugar. It's been bottled and it's sitting for a couple of months before I try it. Fingers crossed!

A Tip - too much residual sugar in brews = Bottle Bombs. Bottled in PET or glass? If PET check the bottom of the bottle for stretch marks. If glass wear a lot of protection when handling. Open one in a sink slowly and see if it gushes. If they gush get rid of it. Voice of bitter and very nearly injured experience speaking here mate.

Hey Lagerfrenzy - now you have me shit scared.
I had a look this afternoon. They've been in the bottles for almost 3 weeks and they're in pet bottles in an esky with weighted boxes on top. The pet bottles are the ones that came with the kit I inherited so if they're stuffed or the brews are bad it's no biggie. They're 650ml and I added a single cube of white table sugar per bottle. What do you reckon?
This was the Muntons kit which I now realised I've posted in the wrong bloody thread... :-/

Relax. Plastic won't blow up (unlike glass that does, spectacularly). Worst that can happen is that they can gush. If its drinkable - start consuming ASAP - three weeks is usually a pretty good time to be drinking most bottled beer anyway unless its high ABV or a big Stout.

Just keep in mind the next time that you get a stuck ferment - the best thing that you could have done with it was to just drop another packet of yeast in it to make it finish up at the correct FG.

Plastic can blow up.
Less likely, less devastating, still possible, sharp shards under pressure can cut and maim.

They're hard-ish. I'll go grab one and open it... in the back yard. The 'Home Make It' shop recommended it sit on the shelf for 2 months minimum. So I'll throw some protective shades on and see what's what.
I'll ensure always to get some good yeast from now on despite the protests of the shop owners.

Look at the bottom of the bottle - they tend to stretch along the seam-lines around the bubbly base.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1476353267.321874.jpg

No stretchmarks :-/

Opened and no gush. Just a hiss. It's dark as. I'd just turned it upside down so stirred up and not chilled. Smells better than the fermenter. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1476354073.572879.jpg

That should be an English Bitter... :-/

Tastes ok. I gave the half empty bottle a swill and yep that foamed up real well. I'll leave them be for a while and see how they go. No gushers though.

Now imagine trying to defuse twenty eight glass ones stored at crotch height in milk crates after two of them blew that day :lol:

Holy shit. Haha. Heart break. :(
Thanks for the heads up mate. Really appreciated. I'll keep you updated.

Latest posts

Back