Lion introduces "Tap King" - party keg / growlers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pressure_tested said:
Yeah I'm also curious about the o ring breakages. I have changed over three 12g mosa cartiridges without any noticiable issues. Have I been lucky or am I potentially breaking them and not noticing? Have not been overly careful or gentle
I'm yet to notice any o ring breakages and I've re-filled and changed the cartridges on more than 12 bottles now....

Beerisyummy said:
Which o rings are you guys breaking?
Beerisyummy said:
Which o rings are you guys breaking?
I broke the white nylon looking one that sits between the lid and cap of the bottle - approx 3mm thick and diameter of the top of the bottle.

I've blown the little black o ring that is visible from the outside of the lid on the top of the cartridge adapter. I re-primed the keg and put it back on the shelf to see how it goes. I'll have to source those o rings and replace them.

Beerisyummy said:
Wow,you must be doing something nasty to them.
Well unless just opening it (as in the bottle, haven't even gotten around to taking lid apart yet!) is nasty, no!

Two little black o'rings in a row now. Thats a tad annoying! I'm having to try and re-carb the kegs and hope that infection etc doesnt take hold.

I've replaced the co2 but have yet to find replacement o rings. Admittedly, I havent looked yet tho

Two little black o'rings in a row now. Thats a tad annoying! I'm having to try and re-carb the kegs and hope that infection etc doesnt take hold.

I've replaced the co2 but have yet to find replacement o rings. Admittedly, I havent looked yet tho
Just go into a Bunnings and buy an o ring kit. $2.50 for a heap of them in different sizes. It may also help if you get your self some lube to reduce wear and tear.

I'm still not sure why your breaking them though. Are they slipping out of the groove and down the adapter collar?

Well unless just opening it (as in the bottle, haven't even gotten around to taking lid apart yet!) is nasty, no!
Well that sucks! I wonder if some beer was spilled during filling and stuck the two parts together. Maybe a little lube would help in this case as well.
That o ring seems to be pretty tough on the bottles I've pulled apart so far.

Another couple of weeks and I can make up a povo CPBF for the Tap King bottles. I do like being able to pour a few beers at my desk of an evening.

Enjoy your night guys!

Beerisyummy said:
Are they slipping out of the groove and down the adapter collar?
They seem to come out of the tap stretched when I empty a keg. Having said that, It was my old tap that was doing that to them and I'm convinced there was an issue with that one from the start. I'll grab a bunnings o'ring pack and see how it goes. Thanks!

mrTbeer said:
Here's my hack in pictures using 16g bulbs. I had some lying around for my bike.
MFL fitting ($2.50), 6mm hose (had it?), stainless clip ($1), 4mm hose and plastic (TK $23), mini-regulator ($39)

1.Remove 2.Drill 3.Assemble 4.Pour

Put a new TK bottle in here and you can reuse the lid/bulb and bottle after for your HB in another TK.
Put a used TK bottle in here and you can dispense your HB from it.
That is awesome. Where / how much are the 16gram bulbs? How many bottles are you able to pour from one?
Where do you get the hose and plastic and stainless clips from?

Thanks!

Adr_0 said:
Hi guys,

I just took Beerisyummy's starting point and decided to record the pressure by adjusting the regulator.

I have butchered my head a fair bit, so hacking it up further was no issue. I basically cut off the retaining latch, leaving the adjuster cap free to rotate. This should probably be hot-glued in place if you wish to set up a head for lagers/pale ales and one for English beers.

So, we have the following:

+0.25 turn - 100kPag
0 turn - 78kPag
-0.25 turn - 60kPag
-0.5 turn - ~45kPag
-1 turn - 20kPag

At 3°C serving temp, we have the following:
+0.25 turn - 100kPag --> 2.8volCO2
0 turn - 78kPag --> 2.5
-0.25 turn - 60kPag --> 2.3
-0.5 turn - ~45kPag - 2.1vol
-1 turn - 20kPag --> 1.7vol CO2

Two things I'm going to next find out: if it's comfortable in the 3-3.5vol range for wheats, etc; and if further restriction needs to be put in the little hose bit on the tap (e.g. 3mm tube) to slow it down at higher carbonation. Even at the existing carbonation it might help?

PS - not sure what the maximum pressure of these units would be. The regulator will obviously be ok, and pretty sure the bottles would be fine with a couple of hundred kPag, but not sure if there is a weak spot somewhere.

Enjoy...
just a quick one is plus clockwise on the reg looking from the top or bottom.

lael said:
That is awesome. Where / how much are the 16gram bulbs? How many bottles are you able to pour from one?
Where do you get the hose and plastic and stainless clips from?

Thanks!
I got mine from this fellow. Though brand was RavX then, which are food grade according to their website. He seems to be selling X-tech now, which I can't find information on (didn't look that hard). Though he does say brand may vary, so probably worth sending a message before purchasing if you're concerned about such things.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CO2-CARTRIDGE-16G-THREADED-BICYCLE-INFLATOR-PUMP-50-PAK-/370556724679?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item5646e6e5c7&_uhb=1

Haven't set mine up yet, so not sure but I read somewhere you get close to two pre-carbed bottles from one bulb, or you could carb and dispense one bottle.

Haven't got hose and clips yet, but I think Bunning's should have them, or get some beer and gas line from a HBS.

just a quick one is plus clockwise on the reg looking from the top or bottom.
Righty tighty, lefty loosy!

It's just like a normal regulator. Turn the knob clockwise while looking down on it, or facing it, or holding it your hand, or whatever. As it tightens down you'll hear the extra gas releasing into the bottle to bring the pressure up. Pretty sure you'll need to give the tap a quick blast to relieve any excess pressure if you go the other way.

just wanted to check, they do some strange things sometimes.

Beerisyummy said:
Righty tighty, lefty loosy!

It's just like a normal regulator. Turn the knob clockwise while looking down on it, or facing it, or holding it your hand, or whatever. As it tightens down you'll hear the extra gas releasing into the bottle to bring the pressure up. Pretty sure you'll need to give the tap a quick blast to relieve any excess pressure if you go the other way.

barls said:
just wanted to check, they do some strange things sometimes.
Yeah exactly. Just reach in with a nikko to make a mark on the cap and the base of the white plastic knob and then snip off the locking catch thingy. When you adjust, picture yourself doing it from the top looking down... and also picture yourself skipping merrily through a field of hops, throwing delicious German malts up into the air while skillful and asset-rich ladies bring you litres of delicious O'fest.

If you're into that sort of thing.

On a less serious note, I will probably redo the measurements to make sure they are 100% accurate and use the hexagon pattern on the top as a reference. But if you take the adjustments I made there is not much error in terms of psig, so you should be able to line that up with temperature and get your volumes fairly consistent.

Good luck...

Just opened up my first one to clean and managed to lose one of the little springs down the sink! Can you run with just one? Would you put it on the beer side and leave the gas valve off?

What do you think guys?

pull the trap on the sink and get it back.
you need it.

Don't like my chances... Dishes from dinner have been done already and that spring is tiny. Reckon it has been well washed away by now :(

I wonder where you can buy springs from...

I wonder where you can buy springs from...
BWS, Dan Murphy's, First Choice and any of the other big ones. They come in pack of two or four with bonus beer included.

how much of the lid needs to be dismantled and cleaned each time?

Back