Lion introduces "Tap King" - party keg / growlers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mrTbeer said:
First time naturally carbonating in PET (normally glass or kegs or force-carbed TK)
I went 7g/L dex and after a week they're as hard as the hobs of hell! I hope that's normal??
Also stuff all head-space as the protruding chamber lid pushed out most of the air.
If you don't hear from me again something went horribly wrong!
I filled mine to just above the top of the flat part and gave each one a 19gram shot of castor sugar. 18c all the way from FV to TK bottle with San Fran lager yeast. They went hard pretty quickly, but were by no means overcarbed nor did they go boom.
If you think they're over cooked you could turn them upside down and let a little pressure go using just the tap spear.

And KG, I did think about doing that with the dip tube. The problem is that the bottle is on it's side and you'd have to leave it sitting the right way around for weeks to get a decent result.

Putting down a wheat beer tomorrow to see how it goes with that in a couple of weeks. It tastes wrong without the sediment, although I'll probably still force carb and just give it a swirl before filling the bottles.

I've just been given a tap king by a mate tonite.
Is there a page here that tells me everything I need to know or are you assholes goning to make me trawl through 27 pages?

Dave70 said:
I've just been given a tap king by a mate tonite.
Is there a page here that tells me everything I need to know or are you assholes goning to make me trawl through 27 pages?
What exactly would you like to know?
Look in the diy section for other threads.

Just emptying a Boags now, much prefer my own HB

Hi Beerisyummy, sorry if remarks sounded condescending, not my intent.
Would it be possible to extend the out let tube to allow dispensing with the bottle standing upright?
It may be necessary to extend the inner tube to avoid wastage, but it would allow up right storage and minimise disturbance to the sediment.
The Keg Guy

Beerisyummy said:
Stating the obvious mate!
Actually when I started I'd have been happy to match a commercial brew! It's like I only had half a palette.

Diggs said:
Just emptying a Boags now, much prefer my own HB

Same here with the Boags Diggs.

Load the bottle and a shit load of gas releases all around the side. Wish I had of worked on Beerisyummy's no tab mod today!

I do find it funny that I am drinking boags that has been bulk shipped to the mainland, bottled and then bought back to Tas...

Will bulk prime my Amber as normal for 750ml bottles and throw some in the empty TK bottles that I have and see how that goes.

Hugh Jarse said:
Will bulk prime my Amber as normal for 750ml bottles and throw some in the empty TK bottles that I have and see how that goes.
Same here, got a Dr Smuto GA fermenting currently. Will bulk prime as per usual for bottles and full as many kegs as I have available.

Diggs said:
Same here, got a Dr Smuto GA fermenting currently. Will bulk prime as per usual for bottles and full as many kegs as I have available.
Mine isn't a Dr Smurto. Saving his for my first AG batch.... Amber from Palmer's How to book..... Frothing at the mouth now

mrTbeer said:
I've seen 1 bottle delaminate and distort with hot tap water. But I've also put 2 bottles through dishwasher and they came out fine.
Everyone please link to this post when morons post advice about how good using the dishwasher is for "sanitising" bottles.

dave70, my understanding is that the easiest and proven method is:

Buy 2mm triangle screwdriver eBay $2-3
Buy 12 gram mosa unthreaded co2 from ezy chargers. About $20 for 10 including shipping or cheaper if you buy bulk.

Unscrew the lid. Take out old co2 bottle. Get the pin that pierces the co2 (it will be stuck In the old one) and replace it into the obvious spot that it came from.
Put in a fresh co2.
Close the lid and screw back together.

Put your homebrew and priming sugar in there.

Seal lid tight

2 weeks later drink it cold

pressure_tested said:
Buy 12 gram mosa unthreaded co2 from ezy chargers. About $20 for 10 including shipping or cheaper if you buy bulk.
Unscrew the lid. Take out old co2 bottle. Get the pin that pierces the co2 (it will be stuck In the old one) and replace it into the obvious spot that it came from.
Put in a fresh co2.
Seal lid tight
Only thing I would add is when in screwing be very careful of o rings , as they stretch and break easy,unheard 2 broken, 2 good ,

bum, on 20 Sept 2013 - 11:04 PM, said:

"Everyone please link to this post when morons post advice about how good using the dishwasher is for "sanitising" bottles".

Hi Bum, I get the point you're trying to make, but this post you speak of is quite good. I'll be stuffed if I'm ever going to put stuff in the dishwasher to sanitise it, and I'll be stuffed if I remember this being implied in the post you quoted.

Which post number was it?

This post illustrates something about the way the bottles are made, and how they behave when heat is applied. From my limited experience of playing around with these for a few weeks, I have seen how there is poor adhesion between the PET and Nylon parts of the bottle.

Beerisyummy said:
bum, on 20 Sept 2013 - 11:04 PM, said:

"Everyone please link to this post when morons post advice about how good using the dishwasher is for "sanitising" bottles".

Hi Bum, I get the point you're trying to make, but this post you speak of is quite good. I'll be stuffed if I'm ever going to put stuff in the dishwasher to sanitise it, and I'll be stuffed if I remember this being implied in the post you quoted.

Which post number was it?

This post illustrates something about the way the bottles are made, and how they behave when heat is applied. From my limited experience of playing around with these for a few weeks, I have seen how there is poor adhesion between the PET and Nylon parts of the bottle.
My spidey troll senses are tingling...

There should be no need to put water warmer than ambient in these bad-boys - either a touch of 1:50-1:80 bleach if you are really concerned then follow up with a rinse and Starsan, or just rinse and Star-san.

If the fittings (CO2, nozzles, screws, o-rings etc) go through one or two uses, soak the lot in a container full of PBW.

Dogshampoo said:
Only thing I would add is when in screwing be very careful of o rings , as they stretch and break easy,unheard 2 broken, 2 good ,
Any word on replacements for the o ring (apart from another bottle)? Broken 1 out of three.

Diggs said:
Any word on replacements for the o ring (apart from another bottle)? Broken 1 out of three.
Either take to burning or a plumbing shop, they will have for sure,

pressure_tested said:

Put in a fresh co2.

Seal lid tight

Cheers mate.
I actually plan on decanting already carbed beer in from the keg to begin with.
It's really more for a mate who's prepared to shell out for the ingredients if I supply him a few refills per batch. Good thing is he's a big wheat beer fan.

Wheat
Pills
Hallertau
Two weeks

Bang!

Sweet.

Yeah I'm also curious about the o ring breakages. I have changed over three 12g mosa cartiridges without any noticiable issues. Have I been lucky or am I potentially breaking them and not noticing? Have not been overly careful or gentle

Back