Lion introduces "Tap King" - party keg / growlers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lael said:
how much of the lid needs to be dismantled and cleaned each time?
If you were filling with carbed beer to be drunk in the next few hours I suggest a quick rinse then soak with star san, otherwise if it's in there for weeks to prime etc, I go the lot

Thanks Masters. What are you using to clean them? Any delamination yet?

I finally got around to buying one of these things today, just got the JS Golden Ale (best of a bad bunch I guess..) anyway, from having a quick look at it, it seems to be a pretty simple process of removing the lid, replacing the canister, filling with beer and carbing it, then when done chilling and fitting to the dispenser like a new one. Is that right or am I missing anything? Do I have to dismantle anything on the dispenser as well?

Cheers mate! Now just to get through this bloody way too sweet beer.. and order some CO2 canisters :ph34r:

I am having a shocking time trying to get mine to work!!

I bought the 12gm bulbs from ezcharger and they fit great. When I put in a bottle with water for testing, it strikes and the gas seems to seal well. It's the liquid side I can't seem to seal... Water Is coming out of the top of the fitting. The big white oring is in place and the bottle and screws are done up super tight.

What am I missing here? Anyone else had a similar problem?

I've tried disassembling and reassembling the lid assembly, different bottles, different lids, the last run I tried was with a "virgin" bottle and lid literally very minimal touching except to change the cartridge. How do I get it water tight?

You'd know about it if they were leaking by now. My naturally carbed bottles were hard as rocks after a day or two.

I'm sure the leaking bottles are caused by incorrect reassembly. Maybe the valves are upside down or the neck o ring isn't seated fully.
without seeing it in person it's hard to say.

Where exactly is the liquid coming from?

Beerisyummy said:
You'd know about it if they were leaking by now. My naturally carbed bottles were hard as rocks after a day or two.

I'm sure the leaking bottles are caused by incorrect reassembly. Maybe the valves are upside down or the neck o ring isn't seated fully.

x1 my refilled bottles are also hard as a rock, if its leaking you havent put it back together properly. Absolutely verything that comes out of the lid needs to go back in the way it come out...and well cleaned and sanitized.

Ok,

I'm having some progress over here. I have been looking at the lid assembly (I have 4 to play with) and noticing that all but one of of the clear parts (with the tube that holds the gas bulb) is warped. When cleaning the empties, I was very careful not to use hot water on the bottles as I read that they will melt easily. I was not so careful with the lids :( I used sodium percarbonate and boiling water to soak the entire lid assembly (except for one which I had already cleaned seperately when I emptied the beer from it. The others I got from a mate in one go)

Here's a pic of one of the batch that got the boiling water:

a23e5x.jpg

After using the only part that wasn't warped, I managed to get it to seal and the bottle got rock hard with the gas. Happy days :) Still not a 100% success as when I pressed the tap only the gas came out. The plastic tube was attached to the lid and everything seemed in place but no liquid at all came out of the tap itself.

I will come back to this experiment later as I am getting sick of it for now :p I am also stripping the heads of the triangle screws by using s 2mm flathead screwdriver. I have a triangular tool coming in the mail (hopefully) soon.

So it was good old sexy fingers and the boiling water in the end. ;)

Glad you got that one sorted. A good warning post for others as well.

Try a small allen key instead of the screwdriver. I can't remember the size I was using but it worked fine.

Is it better to have sexy fingers in your end or boiling water? Depends how long your fingernails are I suppose :p

So it was good old sexy fingers and the boiling water in the end. ;)

Glad you got that one sorted. A good warning post for others as well.

Try a small allen key instead of the screwdriver. I can't remember the size I was using but it worked fine.

Guysmiley54 said:
Ok,

I'm having some progress over here. I have been looking at the lid assembly (I have 4 to play with) and noticing that all but one of of the clear parts (with the tube that holds the gas bulb) is warped. When cleaning the empties, I was very careful not to use hot water on the bottles as I read that they will melt easily. I was not so careful with the lids :( I used sodium percarbonate and boiling water to soak the entire lid assembly (except for one which I had already cleaned seperately when I emptied the beer from it. The others I got from a mate in one go)

Here's a pic of one of the batch that got the boiling water:

a23e5x.jpg

After using the only part that wasn't warped, I managed to get it to seal and the bottle got rock hard with the gas. Happy days :) Still not a 100% success as when I pressed the tap only the gas came out. The plastic tube was attached to the lid and everything seemed in place but no liquid at all came out of the tap itself.

I will come back to this experiment later as I am getting sick of it for now :p I am also stripping the heads of the triangle screws by using s 2mm flathead screwdriver. I have a triangular tool coming in the mail (hopefully) soon.
Might be a silly question, but did you reassemble the unit as shown in your picture? You have to put the black cap on first before putting back the screws.

Midas had the golden touch. We all have sexy fingers once in a while.
Fingers crossed I'm good for now.

I just filled a bottle with a pale wheat beer. It'll be interesting to see how a highly carbed beer goes.

To force carb or to naturally carb?

Beerisyummy said:

I had this issue when i refilled mine last night! Turns out i had misplaced 2 circular rubber seal pads that springs push the white plastic "cups" against when the unit isnt pouring,

I lost mine when i was cleaning them, fairly sure they have gone down the sink. but luckily i could remove them from another lid! When i get home ill take some photos. Hopefully ive still got a set of seals in one of the heads.

I had some issues last night but it was just murphy hanging around being a prick.

First i broke my T6H torx bit so had to rush down to bunnings to replace it. Then i misplaced the rubber seal pads and had a nice fountain moment in my kitchen (dont tell the missus). then the barb broke and i had to pull it apart again to replace it. All practice though I got really good at pulling it apart and putting it back together. My pro tip is have another head for spare parts incase you break something

And now i have a delicious Apple, Pear and Honey Cider in the fridge

So I lost the white bit from mine down the sink also, talented bunch of lads we are!

I'm missing the white bit from the gas side but I've modded my TK to use an external reg and gas source. Will this still be a problem? What does that gas side spring do anyway (the one with the blue cap in the bottom)?

The blue bit is a non return valve for the gas.
The unit may still work in your situation.

Latest posts

Back