Lion introduces "Tap King" - party keg / growlers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
spryzie said:
They don't have school ports or cheerios.
My primary school had 'port racks' for us to keep our backpacks on. It all makes sense now, 25 years later.

I bet there was a lot of back and forth over the size of it, 3.2 litres wouldn't do too many of us any good. :drinks:

This should be available now.
Guessing regional areas get it last tho' :beerbang:

I heard it was delayed due to manufacturing problems

Apologies if I missed this bit of info in one of the previous links, but I asked at my local liquor shop about these and the guy behind the counter was able to give me a piece of info I hadn't heard before. They'd been supplied with a sample unit and had a good look.

The dispenser has no CO2, there is a tiny CO2 canister attached to the PET bottle. Single use, just enough to dispense it. Looks like if we want to adapt these for homebrew, we'll need to make an adapter, perhaps between the PET bottle and dispenser, that can allow an external CO2 source to be plugged in. Maybe a sodastream bottle laying down next to it? Or sparklet bulb?

Either way, it's not as reusable as I'd hoped, assuming the info I've been told is correct of course.

I reckon that's right. Otherwise they'd need to sell co2 bulbs as well as refills.
That also explains the photo showing top of lid in one of the linked reviews.

Perhaps they should think about offering other alternatives to the public instead of relying on selling megaswill tasteless garbage. People are starting to finally broaden their horizons and try something new. I know i like to drink something other than a watery lager with no taste. You can see this trend in my home town of newcaste. In the last 12 months especially there has been 2 fully fledged craft beer bars opened, and alot of the pubs in the area have also taken note and now have at least one bank of craft beer taps.

The commercial hotel at morpeth in the hunter valley is now also brewing their own beer on premises and have a full range on tap...and you can take some home with you in a growler

Blackened said:
Apologies if I missed this bit of info in one of the previous links, but I asked at my local liquor shop about these and the guy behind the counter was able to give me a piece of info I hadn't heard before. They'd been supplied with a sample unit and had a good look.

The dispenser has no CO2, there is a tiny CO2 canister attached to the PET bottle. Single use, just enough to dispense it. Looks like if we want to adapt these for homebrew, we'll need to make an adapter, perhaps between the PET bottle and dispenser, that can allow an external CO2 source to be plugged in. Maybe a sodastream bottle laying down next to it? Or sparklet bulb?

Either way, it's not as reusable as I'd hoped, assuming the info I've been told is correct of course.
i was told they had one integrated like the heinekin kegs.

barls said:
This is still "technically" true, it's just the Tap King has a bit of hardware to pour the beer which the heineken kegs have integrated into the keg itself

barls said:
Maybe a system like I knocked up here would work - http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/66108-5l-mini-kegs/page-2

You would just need a hole cut in the keg to take the cap. It's a nice system for the average punter, I like the laying down in the fridge design.
I already have all my favourite beers on tap.

Slightly off topic, when I was a youngster in England a few of the pubs used to sell take-aways. It was almost like a milk carton, each one contained 2 pints. A disposable growler almost.
We used to buy them on the way to the movies.

Just got my email about these today...with prices :huh:

tapking.jpg

Wow, talk about a choice selection of crap beers.

Squires make a few drinkable beers - sadly the Golden Ale ain't one.

I sent a tweet to Matt Kirkegaard from Brews News about this, and said I thought it was going to be a flop. He said 'I'll wager you a bottle of Nail Clout Stout you're wrong.' I said if it was still on the market in 18 months I'd eat my hat. He replied, '18 months? That's easy money. I'll even give you odds.'

I just can't see Hahn Super Dry drinkers paying an initial outlay of over 70 bucks for less than one carton of beer.

What say you, AHB?

Latest posts

Back