"legal" Kegs - Or Maybe Not

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW, and it's really not worth a whole hell of a lot, I asked my brother in law who's a copper going on 15 years if they've ever ONCE, any single time under any circumstance busted a person stealing kegs, selling kegs, at a home in a pub - anywhere, anytime.

Answer was a laugh, and then a NO.

reVox

Just drive down any country road and it should be pretty obvious where a hell of a lot of kegs went (or check out boat moorings for that matter). <_<

And I say again........some of you are missing the point. CUB doesn't HAVE to do anything. It's the POLICE that do the investigating and prosecution.
When someone steals my car, I don't have to take them to court. The police do. The court slaps the thief's hand, and gives them a conviction......property owner gets property back/compensation for loss of/damage to property. That's the way it works guys (or at least is supposed to work.....)

And FWIW Steve, no...not everyone who AG's has stolen kegs in their setup. Some of us have a conscience...:)

Hey Thunderlips....if not Carlton United Breweries.........what does it stand for then?

Besides, if they got a conviction, they would probably lay a claim for costs anyway.

And I say again........some of you are missing the point. CUB doesn't HAVE to do anything. It's the POLICE that do the investigating and prosecution.

Unfortunately that is not going to happen either. The Police also need to apply to the courts to get Ebay to release your details - that is the whole point of the Privacy Protection. The police are not going to go to this trouble either over something worth maybe $200.00

If you had 100 kegs, that might be different

Well rather just crap on with a lot of shit about what might, should or could happen, I just rang that number and had a very interesting chat with the lad on the other end.
He said he is an investigator for a few breweries and part of his job is tracking down wayward kegs. He asked me 1000 questions like where I am from how many I have and what I do with em. I asked him what the story was with some home brewers using these kegs for home brewing. He said, flat out, it's ILLEGAL. He said if he finds anyone with kegs and they dont hand em over they call the cops and they get charged. asked if they have ever had a person charged who was in posetion on one or 2 kegs. He did not answer that but said they just had a bloke prosecurd for having in his posetion 120 CUB kegs. He did say the breweries are very fair and dont like to see anyone get in trouble and in a lot of cases they will even throw a few cases your way if u hand one in. I told him about our little forum here and he said he would be happy to speak with anyone in relation to this matter.
So there you go! :icon_cheers:

Steve

Now I bet everyone will be hurryingly removing pictures from their galleries.

I asked him what the story was with some home brewers using these kegs for home brewing. He said, flat out, it's ILLEGAL.

I told him about our little forum here and he said he would be happy to speak with anyone in relation to this matter.
So there you go!

Steve

well DUH........

Good onya Steve... Well DONE eh..... :huh: If they weren't watching AHB, they are now......

Sometimes I have to wonder wtf goes on in some people's heads......... :wacko: .. you just called the standing of the entire AHB community into question by association with a few that might have questionable vessels.....
You have just become the proverbial 'mate' that no-one will talk freely around because they do things like you have just done (and then published the fact??!?!)......Are your ears burning? I'll bet there are people calling you names all over the country :lol:

The ferret has been invited into the warren.

bet a few people just felt the knife go into there back.

Good onya Steve... Well DONE eh..... If they weren't watching AHB, they are now......

Sometimes I have to wonder wtf goes on in some people's heads......... .. you just called the standing of the entire AHB community into question by association with a few that might have questionable vessels.....
You have just become the proverbial 'mate' that no-one will talk freely around because they do things like you have just done (and then published the fact??!?!)......Are your ears burning? I'll bet there are people calling you names all over the country

DOWN FELLA, How dumb do u think I am. I think my exact words were that "I was part of a national Homebrewing network"
And FWIW Steve, no...not everyone who AG's has stolen kegs in their setup. Some of us have a conscience...
Anyway it does not seem like u have anything to worry about anyway.
I will add though that he did say they have only taken legal acition on people selling these kegs on. So the message would be "If your dumb enough to have stolen kegs, DONT SELL EM"

Im off to steal a few so that I can hand them back in and get my couple of free cartons.

Im off to steal a few so that I can hand them back in and get my couple of free cartons.
Just goes to show how bad they want em back if they are giving away their liquide gold.

None of this is news. There is already a brewer and participating member of this forum who is in the keg retrieval business, I seem to recall he pointed out a year or two ago that he was more interested in truckloads rather than individual keggles, but that it still wasnt a good idea to publish the fact that you had one.

I had a brewery owned keg and made 3 phone calls over three weeks to get the ******* picked up and in the end I was told by the brewery to dump it at a local pub for collection. I doubt they give a toss about one or 2 kegs being used at home, but selling someone elses property for financial gain is another matter,

BTW - worth noting that the guys name is the same as a detective in the QLD police - At least that was the same name as a Detective Sgt in 2001 according to an AAP article.

I am finding it entertaining those of you attempting to excuse or justify theft and that what it is Theft!

So you are quite ok with idea then for someone to come around your place and steal your mash tun or kettle or ferment fridge or a keg or two, etc etc etc as long as the don't try and sell it to someone else. It's ok because you can wear the cost of replacement your insured aren't you? Your just some faceless nobody who wouldn't care if it went missing, you'll just get yourself another one you can afford it?

Everyone has to carry the cost of selfish individuals who believe have te right to steal from others " because it's ok, if I didn't do it someone else would" Foster's alone spends $4 million a year replacing missing/stolen kegs and who ultimately pays thats cost? Everyone does....! the more you steal the more we pay...!!!

Don't complain about the rate of inflation when your willing to contribute to one of its causes.

Foster's Staff Keg Recovery Campaign Info: View attachment Foster__KSIInfo.pdf

Sounds like a few of the neighbors better find something else to use as mailboxes ;)

cheers

Redgums

Latest posts

Back