"legal" Kegs - Or Maybe Not

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thirsty Boy

ICB - tight shorts and poor attitude. **** yeah!
Reaction score
Just found this on e-bay linky link . A CUB keg withdrawn from sale after the following question was posted for the seller....

" We act on behalf of Carlton United Breweries (CUB) and refer to your sale of a beer keg. It is Brewery policy that such property is never under any circumstances offered for sale by the Brewery, and therefore such property always remains the lawful possession of CUB. In attempting to offer the kegs for sale you are committing a criminal offence. In order to avoid unnecessary police involvement, we ask you to immediately withdraw the items from sale and to contact Domenic Cacciola on 0418 747 174 within three working days from receipt of this email, to arrange collection of the kegs. I trust that police action is not necessary and I thank you for your anticipated assistance and co-operation in this matter and apologise for any inconvenience caused. Domenic Cacciola"

Now it might just be some guy... but its a guy who's willing to give his mobile number out so that you could test his metal if you wanted.

Just for the information of those people who are sure that the kegs they have are legal. Are you sure enough to give Domenic a call and erase any last doubt?

Of course if your kegs are from the competition... I'm sure he wont have any problem at all :)

Yep what is said is correct, Fosters actually have a bounty program on tracking down empty or missing kegs. I also believe Domenic Cacciola is from Fosters remeber seeing his name before in a few emails.

I one rang Coopers and asked if I could buy kegs and they flatly said no. They claimed that kegs do not wear out and there is therefore no need to sell them.

I am going to call "semi bullshit". ok, so the guy has an illegal keg - all Fosters has is an Ebay username and an approx suburb - how are they going to find out who the actual user is? They will need to get a court order to impel Ebay to give out that info - do you actually think Fosters would spend thousands on legal fees for a $200.00 keg?

Seems like a good way to get your hands on a few free kegs.

I am going to call "semi bullshit". ok, so the guy has an illegal keg - all Fosters has is an Ebay username and an approx suburb - how are they going to find out who the actual user is? They will need to get a court order to impel Ebay to give out that info - do you actually think Fosters would spend thousands on legal fees for a $200.00 keg?

All CUB has to do is win the auction and then rock up for collect, show ID, prof of ownership, bring the cops, what ever and they have their keg back plus bust the guy.

And fosters don't have to do anything at all...... It's the police that do the investigation and prosecution, eBay is required by law to remove a questionable auction of stolen property, and also provide the details to a police investigation without delay....which they do NO worries at all.

All CUB has to do is win the auction and then rock up for collect, show ID, prof of ownership, bring the cops, what ever and they have their keg back plus bust the guy.

Now that would be fun too watch. What if they turn up to a brew day & confiscate a keggle before the last addition of hops?!?!? :)
Cheers
Gerard

maybe im wrong, but is that the point? seems to me the point is someone is selling something they dont legally own. not trying to be holier than thou or anything, but can we really complain this guys was given a stern warning?
joe

Why would people pay money for a stolen keg when you can so easily steal one yourself?

Its a bit like milk crates. Who doesnt have an old milk crate that they use to store stuff in?

Its a bit like milk crates. Who doesnt have an old milk crate that they use to store stuff in?

I actually don't have any milk crates anywhere in the house or garage, & yes I do miss them! I saw some the other day & thought how perfect they would be for a vertically challenged brewer trying to check the HLT, but we have gone all high tech & got some steps!
Cheers
Gerard

If that was really written by a CUB employee you'd think he'd know that it doesn't stand
for Carlton United Breweries anymore.

And I say again........some of you are missing the point. CUB doesn't HAVE to do anything. It's the POLICE that do the investigating and prosecution.
When someone steals my car, I don't have to take them to court. The police do. The court slaps the thief's hand, and gives them a conviction......property owner gets property back/compensation for loss of/damage to property. That's the way it works guys (or at least is supposed to work.....)

And FWIW Steve, no...not everyone who AG's has stolen kegs in their setup. Some of us have a conscience...:)

Hey Thunderlips....if not Carlton United Breweries.........what does it stand for then?

Why would people pay money for a stolen keg when you can so easily steal one yourself?
Every now and then I see them floating in the Yarra river near Princes bridge.
There's usually a heap of them sitting outside "Clocks Pokies" at Flinders St Station so I'm
assuming kids are picking them up from there and tossing them in.

Back