Leaking compression fitting - HERMS 4V

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

#brewlife

Reaction score
ive just finished putting together my HERMS heat exchanger. 1.7l kettle with 3m 1/2” copper tube coiled around a 65mm pipe. Got it to coil with only 1 small flat spot, I managed to press the shape back with sim pliers.
Problem I now have is I used compression fittings (said copper on the label but I now think they’re brass) and one connection on the top coil is leaking a bit. I think the tube was slightly miss shapen during coiling so the seal isn’t perfect.
Any advice on how to fix this leak?

Careful rounding with a pair of plyers or multi grips might work. many of these tools have a part shaped to hold round things, if you grab the pipe where its too wide and gently squeeze and rotate the tool you might get it rounder, maybe a bit of practice on an offcut.
Other option would be to replace that elbow with a threaded fitting and a kinko nut and washer (what I would have done from the start - hate plug and play crap). If you go to a professional plumbing supplier you might find you don't need too many parts.
Mark

upload_2018-10-7_23-5-59.png

Cheers,
I ended up soldering it like I should of done the first time. Never looking back.
I do have some ss compression fittings to connect this to my camlocks. Should I replace the ferrule with a copper or plastic one do you think?

Latest posts

Back