Lauter Helix.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone fitted one of these to a grainfather? If so what 'extras' might be needed?

Cheers

Last edited:
For those who fall just short of a 1,000 mm circumference instead of having to buy an extra half you could just use some silicone connected to the outlet elbow making a dip tube to extract more wort.

cut silicone at 45 degrees.
003.JPG
Piece of 1/2 inch copper tube to expand silicone to go into copper connector.
005.JPG
Copper connector.
007.JPG

Ive only used it once but i found the helix did mess with my pump recirc a bit. It was struggling for half the mash then for what ever reason it came good and worked as normal. Ill try the t peice with some hose as above next time.

Ive only used it once but i found the helix did mess with my pump recirc a bit. It was struggling for half the mash then for what ever reason it came good and worked as normal. Ill try the t peice with some hose as above next time.

Did you have it kinked or around the outside? I had mine kinked but made sure it didn't cover the pump drain hole, didn't have any issues with the pump.

Nosco which kettle was you using it on, the one you posted the picture of or the Guten?

I used it around the outside of my bigger pot, the one in the picture. So it didnt have a kink in it which may have helped. Could have been an air bubble or something. No big deal. Ill try it agian in a few weeks.

I also found that mine introduced air bubbles and cavitation when used with the pump when I tested it, but I have a separate outlet that sits above the element that I used for mash recirc and whirlpooling so it didn't worry me too much. It seemed to do a decent job with filtering the wort from a wheat-heavy beer with 200g of hop pellets.

So, am I understanding this right that the spring traps air on the inside? Easily remedied by opening the outlet as your filling the kettle and bleeding any air out, now I know the compression is good as I have a black thumb nail to prove it, but not letting air out between the coils. I must be mistaken.:(

So, am I understanding this right that the spring traps air on the inside? Easily remedied by opening the outlet as your filling the kettle and bleeding any air out, now I know the compression is good as I have a black thumb nail to prove it, but not letting air out between the coils. I must be mistaken.:(
That will probably work, the key is to remember to try it before mashing in.

Well I did try to pick the best out of all the quotes, but I didn't expect something as good as that, I do suppose also that because the circumference on both your pots is larger that would make a difference on the tightness of the coil, a smaller circumference would open up the coil slightly along the back edge. Well pleased.

I don't think it's going to work in my 50 litre BM.
There's not enough room between the outer heating coils and the side of the Brau to fit it.
Also, where it fits into the outlet, the Lauter Helix connection protrudes too far into the Brau and prevents the malt pipe from fitting in properly.
I'd have to modify it quite a bit to get it to work.

I'll keep tinkering, but mine might come on the market if I can't find a solution.

20232788_1481459538578808_976383837550746042_o.jpg

It looks like I'll need to cut it and slip it around the outside of the heating coils and re-join it once it's in place. Probably need to shorten it a bit also.
It might cover the pump inlet holes slightly, but hopefully not enough to be an issue.

Back