Lauter Helix.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_8424.JPG

At my last brew I added a little more liquor to begin with, did a decent whirlpool and stand, no chill. The trub cone stayed intact, and I got bright beerinto the cubes.

Look at how bright the beer is around the trub come. I was able to draw off 4L for starter wort

received_860076284377586.jpeg
So I made a thing
This lowers the helix to the bottom of the guten and gives the lowest possible pickup
I'm yet to give it a whirl and I'm not completely happy with it's position, so if it doesn't really work I'm going to try another design I have in mind

Looks good spork, let us know it goes. I'm still looking for an answer to get it to work.

Will this have the pump running through it, or just straight put the tap?

Another go today using the double helix with a vertical, took 20 mins to empty the kettle a lot quicker than the last time. This time it was 27 C as opposed to 24 C I reckon it would be a breeze at 30 C.
A California common with 110 gram of hops thrown in.
003.JPG

008.JPG

Looks like it's working OK, how much was left in the bottom of the kettle? What yeast are you going to use?

I can see I may have to give this a go, I don't use a spider so could be a way of extracting a bit more wort.

Lauter helix x 4 metres, brewed an ordinary bitter tried the helix x 4 emptied the cooled wort in about 5 minutes still about 2 litres of wort lost but happy with the speed of transfer to the fermenter and clarity.
001.JPG 007.JPG 008.JPG

Latest posts

Back