Lauter Helix.

Discussion in 'Gear and Equipment' started by wide eyed and legless, 2/7/17.

1. wide eyed and legless

Posted 12/8/17
    My next brew will have a big hop addition so I will see how that goes.
    I still have to try another brew with flaked maize and I am also just about out of English bitter so that will be the trial.

2. Leyther

Posted 12/8/17
    This one was a NEIPA had oats and wheat, sparge was slower than usual but no issue.

I need to learn to Whirlpool better maybe need to get a paint stirrer.

Think today was my best brewday with the guten and the helix, very happy just off to watch the storm then goto the GnG for a well earned beer or two.

Cheers

3. EalingDrop

Posted 12/8/17
    Is it possible that I had opened my tap too full at the start on my BM? It drained about 1 litre and stopped after that. I only had 15g of pellets. Maybe it was the 8% oats (500g) in the grist?

I fitted mine the same way you did WEAL on your BM. I did a whirlpool but I'm not sure how important that step in the process is. Reading the comments it seems like it's not completely necessary.

After siphoning out the wort, the amount of trub left wasn't anymore than usual.

4. wide eyed and legless

Posted 13/8/17
    If you have changed your tap from the original, to a half inch just open half way, the whirlpool is really important I wait for around 1/2 hour for the thermal movement to stop, but just before or as it slows down make the whirlpool and when it stops slowly open the valve and drain the wort. On the BM with original tap I open it full throttle on the Guten with the 1/2 inch valve I open around halfway to drain.

5. Boxcar

Posted 13/8/17
    Is there a particular reason you guys aren't connecting both ends of the spring filter? I'd think performance would be much improved.

And if there's substantial excess, orienting it like on the Helix site:
    [​IMG]

6. wide eyed and legless

Posted 13/8/17
    If you look at the picture the helix is under the tee piece, so you are only going to drain the wort as high as the tee piece, if there is room to lower the tee piece as in the BM then it can also work as a dip tube and drain more wort. In the Guten their isn't the room to sit the tee piece on the base of the unit so it works better blanked off with the other end running down at an angle from the tee piece or elbow.

7. clarkie54

Posted 19/8/17 at 5:13 AM
    Did another brew yesterday with the helix after my adjustment on the BM. 155g of whirlpool hops. Worked much better this time. Tap half open. Still slower which is to be expected, but far quicker then last time and at a consistent speed throughout. Got 21.5L of clear wort instead of 20L. Will do another couple of brews before adjusting my recipe designs but great signs!

wide eyed and legless likes this.
  8. wide eyed and legless

Posted 19/8/17 at 7:45 AM
    I don't know if I asked before, but have you got the BM original tap? If so you can open that fully, I know a lot of the BM users changed them but I can't remember who.

9. clarkie54

Posted 19/8/17 at 9:40 AM
    Yeh I replaced mine with a ball valve so only opened it half way. I think it's important especially at the start so it's not sucking the trub into the clearer whirlpool area around the helix. Worked well, thanks Weal.