Lauter Helix.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone use one with a pump? I'm interested but whirlpool with a pump, have a feeling it might clog rather quickly.

I have the Bac Brewing version and it runs much better with a pump.
In fact it's way too slow without one.
These ones look like they drain a bit quicker.

It also means I can pump direct to the fermenter via the cfc.

No issues with the hops (I've always used a hopsock) and an exposed element?
I have always used a hopsock also, it is a simple solution to keeping hop debris out of the wort the whole point of the helix is to get better hop utilisation without adding extra hops to compensate the loss of the utilisation.It was no surprise to read M&BB's post saying his wort tasted more hoppy, we all should have good recall on taste, and I also noticed the extra hop flavour from using a helix rather than the hopsock.

I could benefit from one of those... Do you still have any, if so, how much ?

Good point MJ, as I had to buy a bulk package I have a few left, they are good for almost any kettle, I have one in my BM 20 litre and one in the Guten, able to filter out hops put straight into the boil with no hop bag or spider.
For the BM. With final runnings
View attachment 106727 View attachment 106729View attachment 106730
For the Guten.
View attachment 106728 View attachment 106731View attachment 106732

Tony these look like a good bit of gear, nice work.
I imagine fitting one to a 50l Brau would be much the same as a 20 litre. The helix wouldn't run around the perimeter though, instead it would probably loop around the malt pipe hold down rod. The whirlpool cone would then settle over the top of it.
Any thoughts on how that might affect the performance?
Can they be modified, or are they available in a longer length?

Cheers.

Fittings will be the same Bill and your right it wouldn't fit around the circumference of the 50 litre, but I have been thinking about this as Gavin bought 2, one for his 20 litre BM and I told him to maybe cut the second one in half and cap off the 2 ends.
If you are reading this Gav here is a better idea, you can use a copper capillary connector or some silicone tube and connect the second helix to the first and cut it to size. So Bill if you are interested it can be done quite easily I would cut one in half as there will be others with a 50 litre BM and 1,500mm will fit easily.

Also Interested for 20L BM :)
Any left - and what's the damage?

Im brewing a stout today so i wont be able to see how well it really works. I used the elbow because it was already in the pot and the stainless scourer plug because i dont have a proper cap. Im sure the scourer will work fine but a proper cap will be easier to clean.

Attachments

• 1499477014743.jpg
    1499477014743.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 336
What size is your pot nosco, looks like you could do with another 1/2 a helix like the 50litre BM guys,if you could tuck it under the elbow, the caps are cheap to buy in Bunnings next time you're in there.

98lt so 500mm diameter. Another 1/2 would be good down the track. I broke the budget again so maybe in a week or 3.

As requested by those who will be cutting the helix and joining them here is the pic's.

Bend the coil, don't try and stretch it could end up with a bruised thumb.
001.JPG

Cut with pliers and neaten up the end you are keeping if necessary.
002.JPG

For joining 2 halves together use a copper capillary connector.
003.JPG

When using the 1/2" ball valve the best results is to crack it open gently and empty kettle at around 1/2 choke, if you notice in the above video he does the same thing. I have tried it fully open and 1/2 open while both methods keep the shit out the fermenter the gentle emptying works best.

For all the interested parties, will have to check how many I have left, the cutting in half for the bigger pots has thrown my records into disarray, back on track today.

Back