Late Malt Addition ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superoo

Reaction score
Hi Brewers,

I have just made 2 brews a couple days apart, both basically a DrSmurtos Golden Ale, but I substituted Amarillo with POR for bittering, just to use up some excess POR hops.
I did the calculations to ensure I substituted with the correct amount, and am sure I have.

Now these 2 brews taste too bitter and its time to keg them.

Would it be OK for me to boil up say a cup of dry light malt in a litre of water (to sanitise), allow to cool and add half to each brew at chilled temperature ?

My thinking is that no fermentation will take place if I keep the 2 kegs chilled, and I may be able to offset some of the bitterness with some extra sweetness.

Can anyone speak for or against this idea please, I want to do this Saturday if I'm going to do it.

PS- If I do this I reckon this one might make ya f@rt...

Cheers,
Chris

If you add some more malt, then it should start fermenting again.

If you add some more malt, then it should start fermenting again.

Hi Silo,

Thanks for your reply...

I mentioned in the post I was doing it at chilled temperature, which for my keg fridge is 2 degrees c, so it shouldnt ferment unless I let the temperature come up.

Or am I missing something obvious here ?

Cheers,
Chris

You can add the mixture to the keg to offset some of the bitterness, how much though will prolly be a bit tricky, you deffinatly don't want to overdo it. Make sure the keg is chilled first or immedietly after so fermentation doesn't start. Lager yeasts will most likely ferment still if you serve at say 6-7 degrees. Pressure in the keg is another thing to consider, will yeast even do anything under serving pressure? I say go for it, just do it in increments so you can hit the sweet spot withough any not much trouble

Edit after your reply: In your case serving at 2 degrees and using an Ale yeast it wont fermnet in the keg.

if you could let it sit for a bit the bitterness will go down. they say beer matures more in big batches but not sure if that includes bitterness mellowing

Yeah the bitterness will mellow over time but I guess it comes down to how bitter it is and how long it's going to mature for

My keg is at 2 degrees and its US05 Ale yeast, so I wont have any fermenting problems I wouldnt think.

I might just store it for a few months carbed up and try adding malt into the other one, will be interesting how it comes along.

Will post here the results...

Cheers,
Chris

You could try brewing a batch that is too malty/not bitter enough and then blend the two to get back to where you wanted.

I don't think you would want to add any more than 2 points of gravity eg 0.002 or 120g of DME (at a maximum)

I would prefer to let it sit for a while for the bitterness to mellow.

OR

Go out and get an imperial IPA, it won't taste that bitter after one of these :)

I don't think you would want to add any more than 2 points of gravity eg 0.002 or 120g of DME (at a maximum)

I would prefer to let it sit for a while for the bitterness to mellow.

OR

Go out and get an imperial IPA, it won't taste that bitter after one of these :)

Thanks for the numbers, gives me something to start with...

or I could drink that bloody horrible Emu bitter first and then anything tastes OK :)

Are you sure its too bitter?
Many a time have I thought the same out of the fermenter only for it to turn out ok once carbed. -)

+1 pcmfisher I've done that also only to let it mature and it mellows nicely :icon_cheers:

Why not add the malt in as planned but let it ferment out before kegging? That way you have extra sweetness to offset the bitterness but don't have to worry about unfermented malt in there which might be a bit odd.

Also keep in mind that maturation and carbonation change things a lot.

Not sure if its too bitter or it may be the dark wheat malt i used, about 100 grams in a 4Kg grain bill.

Yes its carbonated and been in keg in fridge for 2 weeks, i usually drink this recipe fresh, and its nice, the only thing i changed was used POR hops for bittering instead of amarillo, and used 100g dark wheat malt instead of crystal barley malt.

All of the information here is much appreciated thank you...

Cheers,

Chris

Is it bitter, or more of an astringent taste, like over steeped/old black tea?

I can't imagine wheat malt would give you bitterness unless as suggested it's astringency from some process. Please note my advice to add malt and let ferment was prior to kegging (in response to the first post). I don't keg so I offer no advice on that but I don't know how good a fermenting vessel it would be.

I can't imagine wheat malt would give you bitterness unless as suggested it's astringency from some process. Please note my advice to add malt and let ferment was prior to kegging (in response to the first post). I don't keg so I offer no advice on that but I don't know how good a fermenting vessel it would be.

I'm not sure exactly what astringency tastes like, but yes it could be the problem.

I'll give a few samples to some of the local micro breweries and see if they can give me an opinion.

cheers for all replies...

Latest posts

Back