Lager advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A mate made a toucan lager for his last kit brew before going BIAB, it was ******* horrible.....
Give this to your mates and they will never try your home brew again.

Reckon you're over estimating my mates there bud ;)

"Will it get me pissed?" "Yup" "okay then..."

Over in the Coopers forums a few months back they had a thread going to see if anyone could actually make drinkable beer from the 'Lager' kit. Fair to say it's not the most highly regarded kit in the range!

Doesn't help that people are expecting a lager without knowing they are actually brewing an ale.

I made a somewhat drinkable beer from the lager can, but that may be because I smashed it with hops so you probably couldn't actually taste the kit.

As far as "My mates won't like it", sure they will, just hand it off to them once they've had a few. ;)

After taking a break from brewing for a few weeks I had the very upsetting realisation that I was running out of beer. You can imagine my distress. Beer shortages have been endured - without incident - in my household before but it did put me in the very awkward position of having to buy beer. Unfortunately, my taste for mass produced commercial beer has steadily reduced since I started making good beer at home. Than means that a trip to Dan Murphy's now costs me near to 40$ for a Sierra Nevada six-pack and a couple of IPA tallies.

With the help of some counceling and liberal doses of home brew I am finding my feet and hope to be back to normal soon.

My point? Oh sorry. I can be very vague since "The Incident". My emergency brew, thrown together very roughly (My mental health was hanging in the balance) was a Coopers lager kit with 25 grams of Simcoe in boil for 30 mins and 25 grams of Simcoe for a 30 minute steep. I'll try to remember to update this thread on how it goes.

Phew. It's good to share. Thanks guys.

Been kegged for 10 days so chucked it on tap tonight - perfectly passable pub tap beer. If anything a little boring flavour-wise so might bung in some hops if I do this one again. Definitely no 'twang' or anything, just good ol' beery goodness. Even SHMBO is happy with it even though it doesn't come in an over-priced Mexican bottle.

That said think I'll stick to Pale ;)

EDIT: Just went back over comments, what is weird is the expected IBU was around 40 but it really doesn't taste much like something in that range - there is only a very small hint of bitterness. The only thing I can detect that is different from an Aussie Lager is it is a little cloudy (didn't bother clearing it beyond leaving it in the fermenter a bit longer than usual, figured keg pressure will do that in the end) and is a bit "thick" feeling, not so watery - can't think of a better way to describe that.

Latest posts

Back