Adding dextrose after pitching yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digga

Reaction score
Hi all Knobel folks

I recently put down a few coopers online recipes and just scaled up for my lager 60L fermenters. Some recipes called for be2 and such. I thought that I dialed up correctly and forgot that the coopers site "generally" allows for an extra 0.5% alcohol by bottling.

Anyways I keg and bottle the remaining amount 3-10L depending on batch size and available kegs. Usually force carb depending on available empty kegs have naturally carbed 2 handfuls of kegs.

Anyways when I punched the ingredients into ianh's spreadsheet the 2 bigger 45+L brews that I put on that day came out a little low to my liking ~-4.0%abv.

Not having the time to naturally carb the kegs I would like the beer to be 4.5% out the fermenter at a minimum.

I did google search adding dextrose after pitching yeast and during primary ferment but couldn't find difinitive answers.

What is the consensus about adding dextrose or other fermentables after primary fermentation has taken hold ~48hrs after pitching yeast?

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Digga.

You can do it without a problem, but I'd be boiling the dex in a small amount of water to kill off any nasties potentially living in the dex. Await for it to cool (with pot lid on) and you can use your sink filled with cold water to do that quickly. Dry the outside of the pot to stop any drips into the fermenter and pour the dex/water mix into your brew with as little splashing as possible.

Just throw it in dry that worked until it started to foam and fermenter over flowed.

From memory, 5g/L (per litre of bottled beer) is about 0.3% ABV extra, and 11g/L is up at 0.6%. You would only consider the latter for champagne bottles and particular styles.

I routinely add glucose at the end of fermentation for my "Belgian" strong ale. I dissolve the glucose in roughly equal weight of boiling water, microwave it until it boils then pour it straight in. When calculating the alcohol increase, it is important to take account of the extra water.

BTW dextrose = glucose; homebrewers and Septics call it dextrose, everyone else calls it glucose.

I didn't think there would be a great issue with just dumping it in as when you mix kits up its generally just put in with a couple of liters of boiling water out the kettle to dissolve.

I went with the same sort of method just enough water to dissolve then cooled with a little cold water out the fridge.

Fingers crossed it does the trick. Had a taste of the hydro sample this arvo, 24hrs after adding and all tasting fine and humming along nicely.

Thanks to all for the reassurance. I'll be sure to plug it all into a spreadsheet before brew day, can't trust the coopers recipes and scale for double brews.

Adding any fermentables post primary is fine - just be gentle and sanitary. Boiling in solution makes both easy.

I thought about it and I don't see anything different then adding priming sugar to bottles everyone either put sugar drops in by hand or scoops Dex/glucose in dry in the bottle and everything is fine.
Could just be over thinking it??

do you really think after a couple of pints you will notice the difference between 4 or 4.5%? let it ride and enjoy it as it is.if that extra .5% is really that important just add the extra sugar towards the end of the ferment and she"ll be right.

Don't get me wrong but I think that there is a difference between 4.5% and 5% just like the difference between 4% and 4.5% is either mid or full strength..
I agree that after a couple of pints there may not be much difference.
I was aiming for a full strength beer but not the usual 5.5% to 6.5% I have been brewing. One estimated around 3.8% which would give me to much exercise getting up for beers at a rapid rate.
It's the difference between a few standard drinks at those %ages.
Anyways the beers came out well after the additions with a little boiling water to dissolve the sugars.
Will always be sure to check the figures prior to brew day. Always things to keep you on your toes..
Still nothing beets pouring a schooner from your own shed!!

Latest posts

Back