Another Black (or dark) IPA (Kits and bits)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattyh77

Reaction score
So this is my plan for the weekend.

1 Pack Mangrove Jack Craft Series IPA
1kg LDM
1kg BE2 (This is to get it up to guidelines as per IanH's Spreadsheet
200g Carafa1 Special (850 EBC)
100g Choc (900 EBC)
20g Mosaic @ 10
20g Simcoe @10
20g Mosaic @5
20g Simcoe @5
Same amount dry hopped of both.
2 x Kit yeasts (1 MJ and 1 Coopers Pale Ale Yeast) re-hydrated

Thought on grain Cold steeped for 24hours, or steeped @67 deg for 30 mins?
Boiling will be done in 3L with 300g Light DME.

Thoughts on hop schedule and hops used?

Spreadsheet comes out at
OG 1.065
FG1.017
IBU 51.4 (With HCF selected for 3 L boil, or 68.5 IBU without HCF selected)???? Help on this
EBC 48
ABV
6.4% (keg)

A quick suggestion: Dry hop a lot MOAR!
You probably want to hit at least 100g dry hop, if not 200g.

Maybe start with 100g split between the Simcoe & Mosaic. (but i'd go 200g B) )

I got enough Hops for that, but for my untrained pallet, I might meet you half way and go 75g of each :unsure:

Thanks for the tip.

Id also think about getting rid of the choc malt. May come out too roasty

IsonAd said:
Depends on what sort of black IPA OP is after - if he's after a black IPA in colour only, then yes, the carafa alone will get it there without adding any flavour.
But if he wants more of what would be considered a cascadian dark ale (which most people call a black IPA too), then the choc malt will add that roasted character to it. I think 100g is a good amount, but could always drop to 50g if looking for only light roasted notes.

Cold steeping the choc malt will also give less of the harsh roasted characteristics, bringing out what seems to me to be more of a coffee-type roasted flavour, as opposed to the more acrid roast that choc malt in the mash seems to bring out for me

Thanks guys.
Yeah went with 100g of choc and started the cold steep today to try and bring a more smoother flavour. Will be putting it down tomorrow after a 24 hour steep.

Sounds like it should go down a treat. Then if you decide if you want more or less roastiness, you can either steep the choc malt warm instead of cold, or take it out altogether

Thanks. Yeah just finished putting it down. Did the cold steep.
So in my rush i forgot to add any DME to get the water up to 1040. With only the grain that was steeped, will this affect the hop boil and IBU?
OG came out at 1060.
I also added 20g of galaxy at flameout for shits and giggles. Not sure why but I had it.

Latest posts

Back