Knappstein Winery Microbrewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got gifted a bottle of the lager at the weekend, and just sat down for a quiet cleanser.
A very quaffable easy drinking summer lager with some great flavours.
Would love to find it on tap if they get big enough.

Beers,
Doc

It's a very nice drop.

I just brewed this interpretation of it for a friend. Just been kegged & looking forward to tasting it.

Knappstein Lager

Type: All Grain
Date: 13/03/2007
Batch Size: 27.00 L
Boil Size: 35.31 L
Boil Time: 90 min

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.50 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (3.9 EBC) Grain 84.1 %
0.85 kg Rice, Flaked (2.0 EBC) Grain 15.9 %
15.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.40%] (60 min) Hops 16.0 IBU
15.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.40%] (20 min) Hops 9.7 IBU
28.00 gm Hallertauer Hersbrucker [3.70%] (20 min) Hops 5.4 IBU
15.00 gm Cascade [6.00%] (2 min) Hops 0.7 IBU
14.00 gm Hallertauer Hersbrucker [3.70%] (2 min) Hops 0.4 IBU
0.50 tsp Koppafloc (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs SafLager German Lager (DCL Yeast #S-189) Yeast-Lager

cheers Ross

So, ross how did it go?

Tasting notes? :)

How would you say it compares?

I'd be very interested to hear how it went?

Thanks
Quintrex

So, ross how did it go?

Tasting notes? :)

How would you say it compares?

I'd be very interested to hear how it went?

Thanks
Quintrex

Unfortunately i still haven't tasted it & I believe the kegs virtually dry. If I do get a taste I'll report back.

Cheers Ross

Bought a bottle of this on the weekend....and have to say this is a beautiful drop....a perfect example of Nelson Sauvin at its best.
Cheers
Steve

I have it on very good authority that this is a 1 grain 1 hop brew.... JW Pils & Nelson Sauvin.
Inspired by my summer ale perhaps :) ...
Should make getting something fairly close quite simple...

cheers Ross

I have it on very good authority that this is a 1 grain 1 hop brew.... JW Pils & Nelson Sauvin.
Inspired by my summer ale perhaps :) ...
Should make getting something fairly close quite simple...

cheers Ross

I thought it said finished with imported Hallertau?

I did a Helles with Sauvin at FWH,60m and flameout with a good amount of Saaz and Saphir at 15m and flameout, malt bill was JW Pils, Wey Vienna and JW L Munich, with a bit of cane sugar, about 1045 OG/20 IBU, fermenting as we speak at 10C with Staropramen yeast, should come out fairly close i reckon, but i probably needed more flavour/flameout addition of NS

I thought it said finished with imported Hallertau?

I did a Helles with Sauvin at FWH,60m and flameout with a good amount of Saaz and Saphir at 15m and flameout, malt bill was JW Pils, Wey Vienna and JW L Munich, with a bit of cane sugar, about 1045 OG/20 IBU, fermenting as we speak at 10C with Staropramen yeast, should come out fairly close i reckon, but i probably needed more flavour/flameout addition of NS

no mention of Hallertaue on the label, just NS. :huh:

Love this beer, I wondered whether there may be some rice in there :ph34r: ? It is incredibly light coloured and dry.

Maybe just mashed low and pils malt as previously suggested but it seems to me to have a heineken like (adjunct) grain bill

J

no mention of Hallertaue on the label, just NS. :huh:

There you go, i could have sworn i saw Hallertau mentioned on the label, but then again it's probably just NS like everyone says

I was driving past Knappsteins the other night and out the front was a one tonne bulker bag of grain. I stopped and read the lable however it only said Joe White Maltings. It was left out the front all night. If I was'nt so honest I would have had a life time supply!

when you find a weyermann truck, let me know

got a 4 pack tonight and i have to say it's nice but...............

nowhere near as good as colonial spruiker's challenge (kolsch). i know one is a lager and one is a hybrid kolsch but you smell that nelson in the knappstein and if you've had spruiker's before it just sets the wrong expectation.

it is a very nice beer, and i would say it was excellent if i had never had spruiker's before...damn you dean!!!

:chug:

it is a very nice beer, and i would say it was excellent if i had never had spruiker's before...damn you dean!!!

:chug:
I'm actually backing the NS off a little now and working on a little more complexity to the finishing hops rather than the straight-up stinky, cat-pissy sauvin that tends to dominate the subtle Weyermann pils base.

Hope you can make it down to the Perth Food and Wine Festival this weekend Hugh. A free two litre swing-top growler of Kolsch for you if you can pick the other finishing hop in this batch. How's that for a challenge! (clue: if it wasn't enough of a hybrid before, it bloody well is now).

I'm actually backing the NS off a little now and working on a little more complexity to the finishing hops rather than the straight-up stinky, cat-pissy sauvin that tends to dominate the subtle Weyermann pils base.

Hope you can make it down to the Perth Food and Wine Festival this weekend Hugh. A free two litre swing-top growler of Kolsch for you if you can pick the other finishing hop in this batch. How's that for a challenge! (clue: if it wasn't enough of a hybrid before, it bloody well is now).

give me the details and i'm there, is it at the convention centre?

*edit* just got the details, i'm skipping my brewday on saturday to attend this. looks like a cracker. dean, what beers will you have available for tasting?

are you talking about knappstiens in the clare valley?? i work two minutes up the road from there if you are

Cadbury: Yep, at the old Enterprise Brewery site.

Hugh and other Perthies: I have a two-tap mobile bar, so I'll be squirting out Kolsch all weekend from one tap and the other will rotate between an English Pale, Robust Porter and Brown Ale. Not enough AIPA for this show, but there will be a keg of it on at Clancy's Fremantle tonight to kick off WA Beer Week.

DO you need a ticket/pass to get into the WA beer week launch thing tonight?

Not sure how it works to be honest. Might be best to call Clancy's. Should be good though as all of the taps will be changed out on the night for WA Micros.

DO you need a ticket/pass to get into the WA beer week launch thing tonight?

I think officially you do. I had to agree to be AusDBs date to get one. Turns out, I truly am a slut for beer.

Back