Knappstein Winery Microbrewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mikem that's becoming more common i'm afraid.
I had a sparkling Kiwi water that was sensational (i never thought i'd say that about water)
but after trying to source it, the same deal, only upmarket restaurants. :angry:
i suppose if Woles or Coolworths (hey that's heaps better! :lol: ) get their hands on it it'll damage the perception of the brand.

Are they a Vintage Cellars? I ask only because here in Brisbane that's the only place I've seen it so if you can find one of those you might have better luck...

It is ranged at Vintage Cellars and 1st Choice. However it has been out of stock due to its popularity. It should be back this week. You just have to ride the retailers butts to order it!!!

Cheers, JJ

I think they have been a little hard pressed to keep up with supply. Thus far it is still being microbrewed at source at Knappstein's, and they are only brewing one day a week, although cramming two brews into those days.

I suspect even they are surprised by the volume of positive support they have received in the press. From Brisbane to Perth, and all points in between, the papers have had a love fest with it.

When you look at the small production runs, the high market price and the classy packaging it is hardly surprising to see it heading towards the restaurant sector.

Having said that, I know of Adelaide bottlos getting it in as part of an on sale promotion with the Knappstein wines. You know the kind of thing - buy so many cases of wine, we'll throw in a carton of our new beer for free. What this means is any onsales for the grog shop is pure profit. One of my locals had it on sale last week for $12 a 4 pack, next to the Mountain Goat at $25 a 6 pack.

All in all, I don't think the bean counters at Lion Nathan really know what they have on their hands yet :D .

Things will settle down, and it will either find its niche market, get dumbed down and be mass produced outside the Clare and be on every Woles and Coolworths shelf in the country, or be a fond memory.

Time will tell.

i found the lager with nelson sauvin at the Pals grog shop in Parafield the same placew that Tda recomended to get the ochim porter

It is ranged at Vintage Cellars and 1st Choice. However it has been out of stock due to its popularity. It should be back this week. You just have to ride the retailers butts to order it!!!
Cheers, JJ

You bringing some round for a tasting Jimmy B)

cheers Ross

:p Disaster averted, popped into the local to score some cheap JS and found the shelves stocked with the Reserve lager, mmm very wine like and tasty, took two bottles to really get into it but the Nelson Sauvin hops are going on my order list.
Didn't get to talk to the proprietor to see what the change of heart was.

Ok, after all the hoo-hah about this beer, I went ad bought a 4-pack at Dan Murphy's in Sumner Park. I usually avoid pale lagers, as I find then generally lacking in complexity. This beer had the same impact on me as my first taste of Little Creatures Pale Ale. Took a sniff after pouring and went "wow...those hops are like...wow!.....passionfruit...lychees....apricots...wow! Then I took a sip and nearly fainted. I have never had so much flavour from a pale lager before, Czech pilseners included. The clean, crisp malt and tangy, fruity flavours linger well after the beer has disappeared from your mouth. It is a sensory experience. My hat goes off to Knappstein, and I hope this isn't just a special run "seasonal" beer. This beer deserves to stay on the market and go into Australian and world beer folklore.

'nuff said.

Cheers - Snow.

it certainly shuts up those who think only noble hops are good enough. bizarre kiwi hopped lager? oh yeah!

I heard the rcipe is based on Jazman's Mongrel lager !!!! Hilly Goat

Cheers
JSB

to be fair, jazman put me onto crazy kiwi hops years before i'd ever heard of nelson sauvin or pacific gem anywhere else.
he's a kiwi hop visionary :)

Still haven't seen this in a bottleshop down Glenelg/Marion way. Has anyone else?

Dave

Still haven't seen this in a bottleshop down Glenelg/Marion way. Has anyone else?

Dave

Vintage Cellars in Glenelg had it when it first came out. Probably all sold out by now.

Have you tried Dan Murphys in Marion?? They should have it, unless they took it as limited release only too.

I last sighted it, yesterday, at Goodwood Cellars, Goodwood Rd, Goodwood. Go there and tell Amanda that Stuart sent you ;)

$14 a 4 pack. I had to buy some for inspiration. It is working :)

Tried DM's Richmond and DM's Camberwell, both were out (as were their suppliers) but they're expecting it back soon, so I called 1st Choice Tooronga to hear they had some. The guy I talked to boasted of three types of hops (lol), and warned me about the cost/packaging size. $17 per 4 pack, $55 per carton (of 16). I took the last 4 pack, and if I like it (which I presume I will - brewing with NS now and loved the first NS beer I tried on the weekend) I will get my work (cambells cash and carry) to order me a carton for $44! What this means for everyone else is that it is (well, should be, pending availability and that they don't restrict sales) available through any liquor retailer that has an account with ALM... if you ask them nicely.

Bought a 4 pack from DM on Portrush Rd in Glenunga last night. Took me ages to find it, they had it stashed in the imported beers section next to the little creatures.......

Have to add my praise for this beer, so much character, quite fruity altho its relatively heavy for a lager. Tis nice to try new beers and ones that are different from the large scale commercial bollocks. Its convinced me to be a little more generous with hops in the future!

Was up in the Clare Valley for work. Filling up with petrol, looked up and was staring at Knappstein cellar door. Decided i was due a break so strolled in and had a quick look at the microbrewery, unfortunately they werent brewing but took a quick snap with the mobile, pic is a bit dodgy, and then sampled the lager.

Had lunch at the Salt and Vines, just outside Clare, lovely feed of roo, emu and venison washed down with a local drop, the Pikes Sparkling Ale. Anyone else heard of this and where you can get it? Couldnt spot it in Dan Murphys.

View attachment 11235

if it's the Pikes I'm thinking of, the brand started in Lenswood i think in the Adelaide hills and is now being made under contract in Sydney. Maybe try Vintage Cellars. I've got some work in their latest newsletter so i'm going to drop into one today. I'll keep you posted.

edit - http://www.realbeer.com.au/alefiles/local_..._02_23_3345.php This is the stuff I'm thinking of.

14.00 a 4 pack is a good price.

At The cellar door it is 17.00 a 4 pack with cartons of 16 = 54.00

It is good but expensive.

Sevenhill in Clare are making a Saaz Lager now.

There is another place in the Clare Valley Making "DogHouse Wheat" as well.

Latest posts

Back