Knappstein Winery Microbrewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is another place in the Clare Valley Making "DogHouse Wheat" as well.

Doghouse Wheat is from Neagles Rock wines- but actually brewed under license by Stephen Nelsen at Mildura. Nice wheat beer, with a touch of late cascade for an American twang.

Now Stephen has left Mildura not sure where it will be brewed in the future. They recently brewed a heap of it to keep the winery in stock.

My old man works for a megaswill mob and scorred some w couple of months back.

He poured me one for a blind testing.

I picked the sauvin hops strait off. I had just finnished 50 liters of NS wheat ale and had the teste in my head.

Bloody nice beer.

He comes up with lots of suprises.

He still hasnt told me about the full, sealed carton of HAHN Millenium ale in his shed. The carton was packed and sealed in 1999!. corked chanpein bottles and about 9% i think

id be interested to know what its like

cheers

probably F*<ked if i's been sitting in his shed Tony! :blink:

Had a go at this over the weekend with the family and it's good for a dead beer.
I got some of the NZ hops from Ross,
so I am going to have a go at something like Jazzman's rec.

- Luke

beware that beer is a harsh beer with bitterness in needs a while to settle down and taste wise its more an ale type thing so maybe forget the addition at flame out and the last saaz addition at 10 mins

beware that beer is a harsh beer with bitterness in needs a while to settle down and taste wise its more an ale type thing so maybe forget the addition at flame out and the last saaz addition at 10 mins

OOh yeah. Be careful with the Super alpha too. Can be a tad harsh ;)

cheers

Darren

OOh yeah. Be careful with the Super alpha too. Can be a tad harsh

I would bitter with Nelson as this will set the beer up with that signature Nelson flavour all the way through.
Also bitter late around the 20 minute mark so it is not too bitter. Here is the recipe I have had success with.

3.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 56.3 %
1.00 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (1.6 SRM) Grain 18.8 %
1.00 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (1.8 SRM) Grain 18.8 %
0.33 kg Carared (Weyermann) (24.0 SRM) Grain 6.2 %
25.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [12.20%] (20 min) Hops 20.8 IBU
40.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [12.20%] (5 min) Hops 11.0 IBU
15.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [12.20%] (10 min) Hops 7.5 IBU
40.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [12.20%] (1 min) Hops 2.4 IBU
30.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (1 min) Hops 1.2 IBU
1.00 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 90.0 min) Misc
1.16 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

Cheers, JJ

He still hasnt told me about the full, sealed carton of HAHN Millenium ale in his shed. The carton was packed and sealed in 1999!. corked chanpein bottles and about 9% i think

I bought a few bottles of this in 2004/2005, they were greyish in colour, and cardboardish in flavour. Delightful! :D

Reported from a reliable source, they matured nicely for the first couple of years, then went downhill.

I would bitter with Nelson as this will set the beer up with that signature Nelson flavour all the way through.
Also bitter late around the 20 minute mark so it is not too bitter. Here is the recipe I have had success with.

3.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 56.3 %
1.00 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (1.6 SRM) Grain 18.8 %
1.00 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (1.8 SRM) Grain 18.8 %
0.33 kg Carared (Weyermann) (24.0 SRM) Grain 6.2 %
25.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [12.20%] (20 min) Hops 20.8 IBU
40.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [12.20%] (5 min) Hops 11.0 IBU
15.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [12.20%] (10 min) Hops 7.5 IBU
40.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [12.20%] (1 min) Hops 2.4 IBU
30.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (1 min) Hops 1.2 IBU
1.00 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 90.0 min) Misc
1.16 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

Cheers, JJ
Jimmyjack,
looks a real good recipe!
Just curious about the Carared in your recipe -is this to add a reddish colour (knapstein is very yellow)or just in to improve head retention? Also, is the recipe supposed to read 10 mins for 40 gm hop addition and 5 mins for 15 gm addition?With the 1 minute hop addition, do you allow this to steep for a time before cooling?
Wouldn't mind giving this recipe a try-I'm after the NS signature.
Thanks
Steasa

Bought this beer yesterday from DM in Camberwell.....as said....excellent drop

Rook

Heads up for the Adelaide Reserve Lager lovers.

1st Choice in Unley have 4 packs of this beer advertised at $10.90 in todays Advertiser.

C&B
TDA

1st Choice in Unley have 4 packs of this beer advertised at $10.90 in todays Advertiser.

C&B
TDA

But, dont get TOO carried away by the "carton" price of $44.90. Only 16 bottles in one of their cartons :p

C&B
TDA

Dan Murphys have already 'price matched' that.... ckeeky buggers are selling it at 5c cheaper per 4 pack! And with the little creatures bright and pale ales also cheaper at 15.85 a 6 pack reckon i will grab a few for the old man so he knows what decent beer tastes like.....

Tasted pretty classy to me, i guess they are going for mass-market appeal though so i would have put more hops in :p

But it was nice. Didn't pour it into a glass to see the colour though. I reckon Pils,Vienna and a bit of Carapils, mashed at about 64C, to about 1048 OG, bittered with NS and added again at about 10-15mins, add a bit of Hallertau at flameout, ferment with a neutral ale or lager yeast.

Got 400g of NS coming from NZ, will be experimenting a bit more with this. I used NS for the first time about 12 months ago and was always pretty impressed with it - works well in APA's as well.

This from the Adelaide 'tiser

The scribe is suggesting a mix of saaz and sauvin. Which would certainly be different. Not what conversations with Paul Smith and Tony Jones implied in December, either.

My galaxy and carapils attempt hopped with sauvin and halertau at flamout, brewed with US56, was tasting prety good when I finally got around to bottling it last week after fairly extended cold conditioning.

Another sauvin brewed beer from Lion Nathan to keep an eye out for is the Hop Rocker from Mac's. This time the sauvin is fleshed out with cascade at the end. Pleasant, but not up to the knappstein standards. First Choice liquor could well still have it in stock, along with Sassy Red (saaz based) and Great White (wit) from Mac's

NS - Australia's new Amarillo :p

NZhops still has 100g packets left, i guess that must be the bulk that CUB purchased. I wonder what they are going to come up with - something via Matilda Bay no doubt.

This from the Adelaide 'tiser

The scribe is suggesting a mix of saaz and sauvin. Which would certainly be different. Not what conversations with Paul Smith and Tony Jones implied in December, either.

My galaxy and carapils attempt hopped with sauvin and halertau at flamout, brewed with US56, was tasting prety good when I finally got around to bottling it last week after fairly extended cold conditioning.

Another sauvin brewed beer from Lion Nathan to keep an eye out for is the Hop Rocker from Mac's. This time the sauvin is fleshed out with cascade at the end. Pleasant, but not up to the knappstein standards. First Choice liquor could well still have it in stock, along with Sassy Red (saaz based) and Great White (wit) from Mac's

I'm going up there next weekend for a wine tasting weekend with my partner and a chick from the UK. Will make sure i check up on how progress is going in the brewery but its a tad rough when the 'beer tasting' is the same volume as the wine.... maybe i could have a beer chaser after each wine, to refresh the palate :p

Just tried a bottle of this for the first time tonight. What a lovely drop. :beerbang:

Already tried NS in my own brew and as per mine didn't detect a lot of aroma in the Knappstein either. OTOH the flavour is the grapey duck's nuts. :)

Go the Sauvin! This hop is packed with potential. B)

Warren -

Back