Knappstein Winery Microbrewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyjack

Reaction score
Just tried Knappstein Winery new ltd release Reserve Lager brewed with Nelson Sauvin. I have to say that this is a sensational beer!! The Nelson gives this beer a very big hop aroma and a nice rounded bitter finish.
Got it from Dan Murphys 14 bucks a 4 pack. I think I will get some Nelson and try and brew this bad boy.

Cheers, JJ

found a link to describe this fantastic beer
linky

Oh yea I am affiliated but very far removed :)

Don't really like the chances of dan murphy's in Adelaide having it :beerbang: but i'll try my chances next time I drive past one.

Boozed, broozed and broken boned
Jayse

Second time I've heard about this today. I read about it earlier while waiting around in a hospital. Sounds very nice.

Don't really like the chances of dan murphy's in Adelaide having it :beerbang: but i'll try my chances next time I drive past one.

Boozed, broozed and broken boned
Jayse

Knappsteins are in the Clare Valley, so I'd hope to see there product in a discerning adelaide bottlo b4 any where else in oz.Might be worth an email enquiry to em Jayse.

Jayse, i saw this in fridge and on shelf @ DM's yesterday.

I saw them in Dan Murphy's last weekend and bought a couple to try. I was a little unimpressed with the hop aroma, imo there was very little to no hop aroma in the 2 bottles I bought. Don't get me wrong, I think it would make a great sessional beer, however it was nothing to rave about (imo).

Cheers :)

Little or no hop aroma? I tried one the other day and thought it had a heap of hop aroma. Passionfruit, I remember thinking. The taste was fruity with a dry finish. Very nice, I thought.

chuck brewed it, so i'm going in with an open mind and expecting to feel a little ripped off afterwards.

chuck brewed it, so i'm going in with an open mind and expecting to feel a little ripped off afterwards.

If Chuck brewed it then this guy is taking the credit

"Drawing on his experience of making fine wines, Paul Smith has crafted a fine lager with the same care and complexity as his award-winning vintages.

Using only the finest quality ingredients, Smith believes he has made a beer for wine and beer lovers alike.

Winemakers spend their lives chasing the perfect balance and structure. Its the attention to detail that delivers an award-winning vintage and I have applied that same philosophy to the development of the Knappstein Reserve Lager, says Paul Smith."

If Chuck brewed it then this guy is taking the credit

Paul Smith is the brewer and Chuck only advised on the project. Knappstein Winery is owned by Lion Nathan as is Malt Shovel.

well, i have to admit, i like it.
it's a tasty beer. a little on the small side container wise but i like the aroma and weird nelson sauvin flavour.

edit - Dave, it depends where you get your media from. the AusFinReview ran an article on it a few weeks back and was chiming a fair bit about Chuck brewing the first batch, not the lucky bloke who has to do all the work. Amazing where the LN octopus-like arms reach.

Tried one courtesy of wee stu, and loved it. The Nelson Sauvin is pronounced yet does not draw the beer out of balance. Rather, it provides enough flavour to make in interesting to us beer snobs yet the balance is sufficiently in check for this to be an aussie lager approachable by most anyone.

I would go as far as to say it is the classiest Aussie Premium lager I have tasted :)

I had this last night, very good beer. It has been a while since I tried a beer out of curiosity and been happy with it.

It has a fruity aroma, I though a good mix of passionfruit and some citrus, very interesting aroma.

Good palate weight and although a hop driven beer, the malt added some complexity in the background without overtaking the bitterness.

Do yourself a favour and give this beer a try!

Got Kudos in the Age Christmas drinks list yesterday (21/11/06) too.

I don't care if it is ultimately a Lion Nathan beverage, oi loiks it, oi do :)

I'll add my name to the chorus of those who appreciated this beer.

The fruitiness of the hops wasn't overpowering and the malt profile was very nice.

Its always great to see someone show what a lager can be, rather than what it so often is...

here is a link for this tremendous drop

linky

I have attempted to brew this and have come very close. In the future I would probably singly infuse mash around 65 and add 15g hallertau as a finishing hop. My current version is 100% Nelson around 6.3% ABV which is a tad too high and probably too dry as I mashed in aroun the 63 mark. If you have not tried this great beer do yourself a favour and grab some.

Cheers, JJ

Tried to get the local bottlo to order it in, they said that after selling 3 cases they've been told its only to be sold to cafes and restuarants and consequently they can't buy any.... :angry:

Tried to get the local bottlo to order it in, they said that after selling 3 cases they've been told its only to be sold to cafes and restuarants and consequently they can't buy any.... :angry:

Are they a Vintage Cellars? I ask only because here in Brisbane that's the only place I've seen it so if you can find one of those you might have better luck...

Of course it could just be that the policy has changed full stop to the one you've mentioned...

Back