KK - 'Fermentasaurus' conical PET fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Caught a glimpse of the new, (I can't call it Fermentasarus) looks like the age of the fermenting dinosaur is over! Out, the space taking butterfly valve, Out, the collection bottle. In tri clover fittings. Looks like the fresh critical key minds of this unit are onto a winner.
Where are the triclover fittings WEAL? I must say is does look the dogs bollocks though.

Oooh look a Silosaurus! I would like to see any vermin get some purchase on that with it's choppers.
View attachment 116592
Don’t you believe it. A hungry rat would chew through that in no time. Best keep it in a cupboard or metal bin or something.

I once trapped a rat under a concrete slab by placing a bucket of water over a hole in the slab. Rat escaped by chewing a hole up through the bottom of the bucket and letting out the water.

Don’t you believe it. A hungry rat would chew through that in no time. Best keep it in a cupboard or metal bin or something.

I once trapped a rat under a concrete slab by placing a bucket of water over a hole in the slab. Rat escaped by chewing a hole up through the bottom of the bucket and letting out the water.
Rats can be quite persistent but so far none has tried or succeeded with the 30 odd units holding malt at our place. I think it would take them a fair while. Not saying though that they might learn how to open the valve though. Could always add a locking mechanism.

Rats can be quite persistent but so far none has tried or succeeded with the 30 odd units holding malt at our place. I think it would take them a fair while. Not saying though that they might learn how to open the valve though. Could always add a locking mechanism.
Do you have a lot of rats? Unless you are seeing them a lot during the day probably not as many as you think. They usually wouldn’t bother chewing through the PET units if they are getting enough food without having to go to the effort. If it’s just a few they may be getting enough from empty sacks and grain spilt when you are filling the containers. If they are short of food they will chew through PET in no time though. Good for keeping grain dry and looking decorative but don’t depend on them being rodent proof.

I have 10 sacks of grain in the garage at the moment that I can’t fit into my grain cupboard and nothing has touched them. I don’t think the sacks are rat proof but what I do is leave a handful of grain in and around a couple of unset rat traps near to the sacks. If I see the grain has been eaten I set the traps and next day catch any unlucky rats that had thought the traps were safe after feasting on and around them the night before.

Only in the world of homebrew does a CEO take a few moments to comment on his personal approach to rodent management at home. I bet Alan Joyce wouldn’t have the time nor the inclination

Only in the world of homebrew does a CEO take a few moments to comment on his personal approach to rodent management at home. I bet Alan Joyce wouldn’t have the time nor the inclination
I assumed he was talking about rats in the KK warehouse. Didn’t occur to me he would have 30 odd units of grain at home. Mind you I have over 12 sacks at home but 5 aren’t mine.

I assumed he was talking about rats in the KK warehouse. Didn’t occur to me he would have 30 odd units of grain at home. Mind you I have over 12 sacks at home but 5 aren’t mine.
He is talking about the KK warehouse, where they do have around 30 of these units holding grain.

I doubt they get many rats on Dreamliners, on the other hand Barnaby Joyce could probably give a bit of advice on rats around the silo's.

Do you have a lot of rats? Unless you are seeing them a lot during the day probably not as many as you think. They usually wouldn’t bother chewing through the PET units if they are getting enough food without having to go to the effort. If it’s just a few they may be getting enough from empty sacks and grain spilt when you are filling the containers. If they are short of food they will chew through PET in no time though. Good for keeping grain dry and looking decorative but don’t depend on them being rodent proof.

I have 10 sacks of grain in the garage at the moment that I can’t fit into my grain cupboard and nothing has touched them. I don’t think the sacks are rat proof but what I do is leave a handful of grain in and around a couple of unset rat traps near to the sacks. If I see the grain has been eaten I set the traps and next day catch any unlucky rats that had thought the traps were safe after feasting on and around them the night before.
Fortunately not. They were a real problem in the old place that we moved out of in August and it was one of the reasons we were so glad to get out of that old warehouse. We managed to control them but it was a daily battle. Our new head office seals really well by the look of it and we have not yet sighted any. That does not mean we are not vigilant though. Our new grain storage facility and the customer malt room is about to start construction and they are rat proof by design. The malt room will have at least 100 malts in our new 60 litre PET dispensers and I think it will delight home brewers with its choice and looks. It will also double as a function room so that 40-50 people can have a brewers get together and be surrounded by an appropriate backdrop. I think it will be a great place for our customers.

The PET no doubt would eventually succumb to a sustained gnawing from a rodent but even in the old building they never touched it. Its really smooth and hard to get purchase on. We still think it will be a great way for brewers to store their malts especially if they have space to make a nice feature of it.

Well unlike the individual you mention I do get involved in every aspect where I think our team can do better and I love to focus on what can help homebrewers to save effort. I also don‘t get paid what he does. In fact I don‘t get paid at all and I do this because I enjoy guiding a great bunch of people to build a good business under some rather tough circumstances forced on us. Two years ago we were in a very hard place with little on offer. Now we can look at a well stocked modern warehouse, an overflow warehouse, an expanding product range, a new professional dispensing department, a factory turning out high quality PET unitanks and kegs as well as an engineering team that has plenty of brewing skills to guide them as to what to come up with next to help home brewers. So yes I am happy to get my hands dirty to fix a malt mill, keep the rodents at bay, guide our development team and be involved in whatever comes along that can be done better so our customers can have the best experience. No matter what the CEO of Qantas earns I would not wish to be him and he will never have the chance to connect with a customer community like ours and which is something that keeps me going and smiling.

I doubt they get many rats on Dreamliners, on the other hand Barnaby Joyce could probably give a bit of advice on rats around the silo's.
As a pilot for nearly thirty years I can tell you that they do get rats, snakes and all sorts of creatures hitching rides on aircraft and they can be quite a problem if undetected. For some reason rats love to chew wiring so they are not desirable passengers. As to Barnaby‘s ability to give rat advice I can only speculate.

Called in today to get some grain and bits and pieces, the Fermenter King was doing it's stuff the little 12 volt cooler is impressive, holds temperature and the FK building up pressure nicely.
001.JPG Ambient and thermowell temperature.
002.JPG

@CEO Keg King, do you have any plans to release a high-temp body for these?
No affiliation:fallingoffchair: but the question I would be asking is how many times can hot fill PET be put under heat? I have searched for an answer but can't find any. Just my own curiosity, as I have the snubbies, I can't give a good rinse with hot water, though I do add sodium perborate for around a 30 C wash and wonder if it is enough to prep the snubby for a acid wash. So far not had any infections but still curious to know about the effect of repeated heat washing process on PET.

Well my view is that if any manufacturer does sell such a high temp body then surely it would perform or otherwise be subject to warranty claims. I'm not a chemical engineer or whatever the relevant discipline is so I'm not going to predict whether it's going to happen or not, just ask the question.

Well my view is that if any manufacturer does sell such a high temp body then surely it would perform or otherwise be subject to warranty claims. I'm not a chemical engineer or whatever the relevant discipline is so I'm not going to predict whether it's going to happen or not, just ask the question.
You are right its no good speculating, but when asked by KL the majority of the punters wanted a hot wash version even though it would cost more. So maybe the performance of hot fill PET isn't an option, what scarce information I have found on line is that repeated hot use causes the PET to bloom.

Do you have dimensions for the new fermenter?
The stand looks very high making it difficult to fit into my fridge. You think it could be sold with the shorter stub nose stand?

Do you have dimensions for the new fermenter?
The stand looks very high making it difficult to fit into my fridge. You think it could be sold with the shorter stub nose stand?
Same size as a traditional fermentasaurus, stands for the snubby and fermentasaurus are the same.

How do these work exactly? Peltier?
Its an enhanced Peltier.

Latest posts

Back