KK - 'Fermentasaurus' conical PET fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What’s the stainless thing running down the centre with a ‘t’ piece top? Didn’t have one on my snub nose I picked up last week?

What’s the stainless thing running down the centre with a ‘t’ piece top? Didn’t have one on my snub nose I picked up last week?

This is a very good observation. Its the actuation arm for the plunger valve at the bottom. It serves three important functions. Firstly its used to pull the valve plunger up to open the hole in the bottom. This replaces the old butterfly dump valves which are more difficult to clean and sanitise. Also means that the opening is now exactly circular with no obstructions such as the butterfly valve disc. This allows for improved flow and so a larger opening is not necessary or even desirable. The second function is that its an integral thermowell. Now the brewer can insert a temperature probe right into the middle of the beer to get an accurate reading. The third use is as an anchor point for the floating ball pick up tube. This means that the beer will now always be picked up from the middle and cannot go of to the side of the tank. We plan to add this to future snubnose gen 3 units but the valve actuation function is of course not necessary. The other two functions though are still useful.

How does this adapt to tri clamp?

And what's the length of the coil submerged in a standard single batch?

Cheers
The bottom valve opening has a standard thread on to which goes a 2" tri-clover adaptor or another adaptor for the collection bottle or spigot. The length of the coil is not of major importance as the cooling capability is quite good. From memory I think its about 1.3 metres.

No leaks, dents, stress fractures, top lid sealing OK? I like the dump valve, so simple it should have been thought of before, I can see that getting copied.

No leaks, dents, stress fractures, top lid sealing OK? I like the dump valve, so simple it should have been thought of before, I can see that getting copied.

Sadly you are right. We have already seen a good idea like the snubnose being copied although our product is still better we believe. We will just try to stay ahead by coming up with new improvements and control of quality. Because we manufacture locally and make high quality PET tanks I think we can offer something better than most.

A nice little glycol cooler and a jacket would tempt me seeing as you have the cooling coil, to be honest I am even tempted without them. Keep up the good work.

What was already great just got greater! Well done KK team :) although, I’d hate to be the guy that, after a few beers, goes to pick up the unit via the top ‘t’ piece in a lapse of concentration, and watch an entire brew day empty onto the floor in a matter of seconds...

What was already great just got greater! Well done KK team :) although, I’d hate to be the guy that, after a few beers, goes to pick up the unit via the top ‘t’ piece in a lapse of concentration, and watch an entire brew day empty onto the floor in a matter of

Well I think it would take a fair few beers to get that sad situation but no doubt someone will do it. We can offer a cap to prevent it or at least leave the bottle on there.

A nice little glycol cooler and a jacket would tempt me seeing as you have the cooling coil, to be honest I am even tempted without them. Keep up the good work.
Well look at this then.

Attachments

• 851C30F9-3657-4F5C-B81A-CACAECDD7AFC.jpeg
    851C30F9-3657-4F5C-B81A-CACAECDD7AFC.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,338
  • 1A3FE5BA-5736-46BE-8E16-B8DBDA32C9F6.jpeg
    1A3FE5BA-5736-46BE-8E16-B8DBDA32C9F6.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,680
Looks good KK. couple of quick ones. Is it still 35 litres? I like this size as i can do a 30 litre batch in my guten and fill 9.5l and 19litre kegs.

In weals photo it looks like the centre rod is threaded, is this so it screws into place?

What purpose does the little cardboard tube serve in the pictures with the glycol chiller?

Looks good KK. couple of quick ones. Is it still 35 litres? I like this size as i can do a 30 litre batch in my guten and fill 9.5l and 19litre kegs.

In weals photo it looks like the centre rod is threaded, is this so it screws into place?

What purpose does the little cardboard tube serve in the pictures with the glycol chiller?

The purpose of the little cardboard tube was purely to see who would come out of the woodwork? Yes its still 35 litre until the 60 litre arrives in a few weeks time. The centre rod is not threaded as it has to slide smoothly and quickly. The T bar gives control. The valve works even when the rod is at an angle. Also the valve is super easy to clean.

I can see some benefits with the plunger valve but it introduces a potential leak pathway through the lid. What's the sealing mechanism? Is it simply a nice, tight fit with a rubber grommet or something more cunning?

I can see some benefits with the plunger valve but it introduces a potential leak pathway through the lid. What's the sealing mechanism? Is it simply a nice, tight fit with a rubber grommet or something more cunning?
It’s a twin O ring setup and holds pressure quite well

It’s a twin O ring setup and holds pressure quite well
Now that I think about it, it's probably no more of a leak risk than the handle of the butterfly valve which you no longer have, so the new design is "leak risk neutral" for want of a better term.

Latest posts

Back