KK - 'Fermentasaurus' conical PET fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did my first closed transfer last night (finally!). Only one issue, about 5L in the dip tube somehow managed to turn itself around to face upwards and suck in the CO2 instead of the beer. Well, i'm hoping CO2 if i had purged correctly after dry hopping.

Tried to blast some CO2 through the liquid out post to try and turn it around, but in the end i had to gently rock the fermenter to get it to roll over again, which wasn't ideal given all the work the yeast put into settling out at the bottom.

Anyone else had this? Is there an easy fix?

If the float is touching the edge I can usually tap it and get it to move, never had the rolling issue though.

Did my first closed transfer last night (finally!). Only one issue, about 5L in the dip tube somehow managed to turn itself around to face upwards and suck in the CO2 instead of the beer. Well, i'm hoping CO2 if i had purged correctly after dry hopping.

Tried to blast some CO2 through the liquid out post to try and turn it around, but in the end i had to gently rock the fermenter to get it to roll over again, which wasn't ideal given all the work the yeast put into settling out at the bottom.

Anyone else had this? Is there an easy fix?
Shorten the dip tube so that it is just above the bottom. You can also add a weight to the tube, the inter tap growler filler is.ideal. This stops the dip tube riding down the side and sucking up any crud still attached to the cone.

What are others using for a weight to pull the floating dip tube down slightly? I find that when I am doing a closed transfer to a keg, the first 13 or 14 litres is ok and then then dip tube starts to roll around a little. I have to then start tilting the vessel to get the tube to drop back under the surface of the liquid and by the time I finish I find I am balancing the vessel somewhere near to a 75 degree angle to make sure I get the most of my precious brew.

Has anyone put hops into the yeast catching bottle at the initial start of the fermentation. I was thinking of trying it and then maybe dumping after 4 days or so. So sort of dry hop at the beginning

Has anyone put hops into the yeast catching bottle at the initial start of the fermentation. I was thinking of trying it and then maybe dumping after 4 days or so. So sort of dry hop at the beginning
From what I have read, (Peter Wolfe thesis) dry hopping is better carried out towards the finish of fermentation

From what I have read, (Peter Wolfe thesis) dry hopping is better carried out towards the finish of fermentation
Yeah my normal thoughts, I'm not a big dry hopper and only dry hop maybe a Pale Ale now and then, just wondering as to the effect it might have on flavour and aroma. Might experiment but not expecting anything to flash I guess

After 5 yrs of NEIPA style exploration and sceince proving 'bio- transformation' is real, dry hopping at the end of fermentatin no longer producing the best aromatic outcomes.
The bio-transformation is of the terpenoids only, according to the research carried out dry hopping is best carried out when the beer has been taken off the yeast bed, because of the effect of the yeast has on the hops. I think a lot of home brewers worry about the reverse what effect the dry hops will have on the yeast.

The bio-transformation is of the terpenoids only, according to the research carried out dry hopping is best carried out when the beer has been taken off the yeast bed, because of the effect of the yeast has on the hops. I think a lot of home brewers worry about the reverse what effect the dry hops will have on the yeast.

I though that research is now outdated since the biotransformation studies occured, but in saying that, that process is only achieved with particular hops types so overall best outcomes in general, would be from beer removed from the yeast agreed.

I though that research is now outdated since the biotransformation studies occured, but in saying that, that process is only achieved with particular hops types so overall best outcomes in general, would be from beer removed from the yeast agreed.
If you haven't read it Dan here is a link just click on Download PDF
https://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/concern/graduate_thesis_or_dissertations/rx913t14h
Wolfe has covered it pretty extensively and an interesting read, but in saying that if you see what the American craft brewers are doing they all seem to have their own methods.

There was a post somewhere here on AHB (I think) where someone used tri clamp fittings and a butterfly valve connected to the bottom of there fermentasuarus. But I cant seem to find it. Does anyone know where this post might be? Im after the links to the tri clover fittings?

There was a post somewhere here on AHB (I think) where someone used tri clamp fittings and a butterfly valve connected to the bottom of there fermentasuarus. But I cant seem to find it. Does anyone know where this post might be? Im after the links to the tri clover fittings?
If you can wait a few more weeks then you can get the new gen 3 fermentasaurus upgrade kit which has a tri clover elbow on the bottom. I think we will have one on show in about 3 weeks and small qty on sale soon afterwards.

If you can wait a few more weeks then you can get the new gen 3 fermentasaurus upgrade kit which has a tri clover elbow on the bottom. I think we will have one on show in about 3 weeks and small qty on sale soon afterwards.
Sounds great and yes I can wait,...cheers

Oooh look a Silosaurus! I would like to see any vermin get some purchase on that with it's choppers.
001.JPG

Latest posts

Back