Kits Or Ag Cheaper? Pros/cons?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This justification by comparison is kinda pointless. It costs what it costs and it is worth it or it isn't.
Much of the content of this forum is, too, to some people's minds, but it does help while away the work day. :icon_cheers:

AG is very time consuming compared to kits, but heaps more rewarding, and has the potential to create a finer end product.
I suspect almost NO AG brewers do it for the cost saving.
Its fun.
It massages the ego, when your friends love your beer.
It gives you an excuse to stand in the man cave for five hours.

Interesting.

I might have to look in on a brew day and see how an AG is done. It would be good to see an AG done on a "primitive or simpler" setup rather than a bells and whistles setup.

The only other cost that has to be factored in that people have forgotten about is time. KK takes about an hour maximum (with plenty of beer breaks). Kits and Bits takes about 1.5 to 2 hours. How long does AG take?
Check out NickJD's "move to BIAB threads".

It gives you an excuse to stand in the man cave for five hours.

+1

Also gives you justification to drink brews all day while doing it (I've explained many times to the missus that it takes the consumption of good beer to make good beer)

+1

Also gives you justification to drink brews all day while doing it (I've explained many times to the missus that it takes the consumption of good beer to make good beer)

Makes sense to me.

+1

I just tell my missus, I'm not drinking the beer for the sake of it; it is my dedication to a scientific approach of crafting a perfected balanced product.

Video games and masturbation cost me next to nothing. Homebrewing is terribly expensive!!!

This justification by comparison is kinda pointless. It costs what it costs and it is worth it or it isn't.

So thats how you make that cream ale. :huh:

QldKev

Video games cost you next to nothing Bum? Crikey! I think from 2000 to 2007 I spent around 15 grand on gaming! Over the last 2 years, starting from scratch, I've spent under $1k on brewing. Mind you, I've been rather lucky with the freebies.

That's what I thought!

>$1000 for a nice 42" HD telly, $500 for a PS3/XBOX, then games are $60-$100 a pop. You can do it cheaper on a PC :ph34r: , but a decent gaming rig will set you back at least >$1500....that you need to upgrade every 3 years to play the latest games.

LOL!

At one stage I was running a $6k gaming rig. And I held onto it for 2 years before upgrading...

Mind you, I was an addict. No denying it, and didn't deny it at the time either. But with the missus living a couple of hours away...

I already had a telly. "Needed" a bluray player (negating the ENTIRE cost of the ps3). And lately I've basically only been playing Fallout 3 which I got for $20. +100hrs (on first playthrough) of entertainment for $20? Hard to beat that. Speaking of beating things that hard, that brings us to the costs of my other hobby...

But yeah I was just making a point and didn't want to say scrapbooking or some bullshit.

I'd apologise to the OP but it's all pretty dumb, innit?

I suppose at the knk side of things, you could get a pretty sweet automatic can opener.
Maybe we could have some threads for noobies like:
"show us your can opener" or "what kit are you opening?"

A stainless spoon.

AG is alot more FUN!

A mate of mine reckons my frugality is legendary. That may be true, but even though I save money wherever I can I cannot say that I am saving money on beer. That's okay because that isn't why I brew.

I have a Caravan parked in the shed and use it for about 4 weeks per year, worth a lot more than my brew kit. Some people have boats.

Simple: Want to make cheap piss, then make it, you gotta drink it

Hobby 1:
Cost me >$20,000 for my 4wd + another $5,000 for stuff to go with it

Hobby 2:
Cost me >$20,000 for my V8 passion + another $5,000 in mods

Hobby 3:
Cost me lots for my caravan, and all bits n peices to go in it

Hobby 4:
Cost me lots for my boat, and lots more for my fishing rods, echo finders etc.

Hobby 5:
My homebrewing is a fairly cheap hobby to get into; and it saves me money compared to drinking commercial beer at the same quality.

Shit reading back through this I've spend lots on my above hobbies, maybe I shouldn't complain when the wife wants new shoes.

time for a homebrew me thinks.

QldKev

Shit reading back through this I've spend lots on my above hobbies, maybe I shouldn't complain when the wife wants new shoes.

Urgh. My wife has recently noticed how much I've spent on my new rig and since then new bags and clothes and stuff have been turning up in the house at a much greater rate than they used to.

I think I'll put off that grainmill for a while yet...

Urgh. My wife has recently noticed how much I've spent on my new rig and since then new bags and clothes and stuff have been turning up in the house at a much greater rate than they used to.

I think I'll put off that grainmill for a while yet...
Yeah well, we just saw our homeloan balance, and um, it barely dropped.

As has been pointed out many times before though, brewing isnt an expensive hobby when compared to other hobbies. Geez earlier this year I forked out nearly $20 grand on a 4WD, im now looking at spending another couple of grand on fitting it out for comfortable camping & 4wd'ing, after that i'll probably buy a boat for another few grand...at least, then there's my penchant for overseas holidays to exotic locations, and the list goes on... $1000 for my AG setup? meh. chump change. At least with that I dont have to buy cases of Fat Yak for $50 or $60 a pop like my mates do.... Because I can brew it for a quarter of that price! Happy days!

Hobby 1:
Cost me >$20,000 for my 4wd + another $5,000 for stuff to go with it

Hobby 2:
Cost me >$20,000 for my V8 passion + another $5,000 in mods

Hobby 3:
Cost me lots for my caravan, and all bits n peices to go in it

Hobby 4:
Cost me lots for my boat, and lots more for my fishing rods, echo finders etc.

Hobby 5:
My homebrewing is a fairly cheap hobby to get into; and it saves me money compared to drinking commercial beer at the same quality.

Being a 19yo uni student, i feel that saving money is good for me because i don't have that much money haha. less then Half the reason im doing this is for price, but i really do enjoy the brewing and fun behind it. Thats why if i can produce good beer at a decent price it would be good haha.

Interesting.

I might have to look in on a brew day and see how an AG is done. It would be good to see an AG done on a "primitive or simpler" setup rather than a bells and whistles setup.

The only other cost that has to be factored in that people have forgotten about is time. KK takes about an hour maximum (with plenty of beer breaks). Kits and Bits takes about 1.5 to 2 hours. How long does AG take?

it's all relative. Some people enjoy spending hours cooking a sauce or drawing with pencil (I know I do). Some people spend hours in the garden tending vegetables.

Some people like frozen dinners and watching TV. The time spent can be fun, exhilarating, frustrating, exciting, rewarding and so on.

It depends what you want to get out of it at the end. My brewdays take about 4-6 hours but I'm not rushing anywhere. That's 4-6 hours making beer - in the meantime (while the mash is on) I can ride up the road and get my weekly shopping, do some reading for uni, get dinner prepared, bottle a batch, do some gardening or have a pull. It's not hands on every second.

As for primitive: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=35595

Latest posts

Back