Kit And Extract Beer Spreadsheet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry Ian , waht i meant were the columns labeled F and R in the header row (Between Ferm and OG) i.e the columns M and N respectively.

Cheers

Sorry Ian , waht i meant were the columns labeled F and R in the header row (Between Ferm and OG) i.e the columns M and N respectively.

Cheers
Sorry that is just if you have a number of fermenters and you rack to a second fermenter, so you can track which brew is in which fermenter.

Great Ian, thanks.

amazing that your home grown prog seems to be the most accurate (For my needs) that I have seen.

Cheers again and keep up the good work, (A "costing" functionality would just top things off but that might be asking too much)

Steve D

thanks for the hard work Ian, it worked a treat for my recent toucan stout.
i can't even begin to imagine how you would knock something like that up. muchos kudos!

Ianh - top stuff!
Question for you or others with the knowledge. What does the hop concentration button do? Toggling between on and off has a huge impact on IBUs, why? What does this mean? Should I design brews to desired IBUs with it on or off?
Cheers

Ianh - top stuff!
Question for you or others with the knowledge. What does the hop concentration button do? Toggling between on and off has a huge impact on IBUs, why? What does this mean? Should I design brews to desired IBUs with it on or off?
Cheers

Thanks. There is a bit in the Notes about Hop Concentration factor. Yes selects the Garetz method for calculating bitterness (which includes a volume factor) and may be useful for those using small boil volumes say less than 8 litres. No uses the Tinseth method which is the preferred method and does not have a volume factor.

Would suggest if possible to have a boil volume of 10 litres or more and not use the HCF.

cheers

Ian

Thanks ianh. Makes sense. I altered the boil volume to what I use and the change now isn't so large and keeps me about where I want to be. Phew... Thought I'd severely under hopped a bright ale I put together this morning.
Cheers

Hello All

Firstly Ian - kudos mate. This is a brilliant piece of kit.

But, I have a couple of simple questions:

1. I have been putting in a batch I have down at the moment - it is Thomas Coopers IPA, Brewers Choice Ultra Brew (I think it is 500g DME, 250g dex and 250 g corn syrup) with US05 yeast. I have dry hopped with amarillo finishing hops bag (12g). Question is - how do I put in the corn syrup component? I can't see it in the drop down list for it. Also - how do I best represent dry hops? Am I just putting a D in cell F26? Am I right in saying this does not actually infleunce the formula then? Is this because main influence is on aroma - not flavour?

2. If I am not boiling anything - what are the specific settings - should I be saying no to the hop concentration factor?

Simple questions, but as you can see I am just really starting out.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Hello All

Firstly Ian - kudos mate. This is a brilliant piece of kit.

But, I have a couple of simple questions:

1. I have been putting in a batch I have down at the moment - it is Thomas Coopers IPA, Brewers Choice Ultra Brew (I think it is 500g DME, 250g dex and 250 g corn syrup) with US05 yeast. I have dry hopped with amarillo finishing hops bag (12g). Question is - how do I put in the corn syrup component? I can't see it in the drop down list for it. Also - how do I best represent dry hops? Am I just putting a D in cell F26? Am I right in saying this does not actually infleunce the formula then? Is this because main influence is on aroma - not flavour?

2. If I am not boiling anything - what are the specific settings - should I be saying no to the hop concentration factor?

Simple questions, but as you can see I am just really starting out.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Corn syrup/sugar is 'maltodexrin'
If you are dry hopping you will not be adding IBU to your brew so no need for a calculation. You can put it there with the D for your records. HCF doesnt matter if not boiling
any hops.

Champion - thanks mate.

This sure takes a lot of trial and error out of it!

Another question - where the brew is actually graphed, what can I expect if it has a lower OG than the 'style' that I am matching? Is it just a less fuller flavour?

firstly thanks ian for this awesome tool..It has been a major improvement in designing recipes for me..
The only problem i have is saving recipes..they will save while the program is open.but when i close it,i loose them all..
i am just hitting the save recipe button..

cheers mark

Are you saving the excel file as well, after saving the recipe?

Saving the recipe adds it to your list, but you still need to save the actual file.

I found this out the hard way!

Just started "really" using this recently. What a fantastic job you have done Ian, i take my hat off to you mate. Love the red dot! Btw is v4 the latest version?
Cheers

Are you saving the excel file as well, after saving the recipe?

Saving the recipe adds it to your list, but you still need to save the actual file.

I found this out the hard way!

no i am not..how do i do that?..this is the first time i have used exel

cheers mark

Hi Ian

Love your work, great spreadsheet and have used it many times but I have always wondered about the calc of the IBU using coopers kits.

To calc the IBU for using a coopers kit in your spreadsheet you use the formula: can IBU amount x volume of can / ferment volume
but looking at the coopers website they use the formula: can IBU amount x weight of can /ferment volume
using one calculation over the other creates a significant discrepancy in IBU's
For example:
Using coopers dark ale kit
Your calc IBU for the can is 590*1.25/23 = 32.1
coopers formula: 590*1.7/23 = 43.6

difference of 11.5 IBU between the two methods

Do you or anyone else out there know which calculation is correct

cheers Chris

Hi chrisn1

Thanks, yes good question. It's now 3 years since I did the original spreadsheet. The formula for the Coopers cans was changed in version 1.1 to include the 1.25 factor but I do not remember where the factor came from.

Just found this post 68

[post="QUOTE (syd_03 @ Mar 13 2009, 12:51 AM) *
G'day Ian,

The speadsheet is a great Idea and you have done a great job.

On the issues of Coopers kits, they explain how to get the values on their FAQ page. Basically it is the number times the can weight divided by the volume.

Eg. IPA is 710 IBU which is times 1.7 then divided by 23L is 52.478 IBU (your value was 30.9 which is 710/23) same goes for colour values.

G'day syd_03

Yes I was aware of that, but a number of more experienced brewers (not hard just bottled brew 20) say that, especially for the bitterness, that a value of Can IBU / Volume is more realistic and that the Coopers calcs still overstate the bitterness. So I went with the experience.

Like you learning and trying to get my head round all the numbers.

cheers

Ian [/post]

Coopers also state in their FAQ that fermented IBU's are 10-30% less

cheers

Ian

Edit and welcome to the forum

Just wanted to say thanks. As a person who has had a lot of experience in designing Excel spreadsheets, I appreciate how much work has gone into to this. Cheers mate
Mark

Thanks Ianh! This is brilliant, me and my co-workers have this spreadsheet on our Remote Desktop server at the office and add all of our recipes in here :)

Fantastic! I discovered this last week and it gave me the confidence to finally do my first all extract plus steeping grains (a single hop galaxy pale ale by the way). I'd thought about having a look at some of the paid brewing software but now can't see the need for a while yet. And with Ianh's BIAB spreadsheet it's AG here we come. Thanks Ianh.
Cheers,
Oakers.

Back