Kilju

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found my Kilju was pretty slow to start. I added a little lemon juice to mine too (for the acidity rather than the taste - just 20mL in 2L). Did you use dextrose or normal sugar?

EDIT: Here's my recipe:
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...=tanga&st=0

100g of dex / L was right for me. It's strong enough so that a 50c batch will get you blotto, but not so strong that you produce off flavours by stressing the yeast. (Ends up at 6%)

i used dextrose
also, i went nuts with the amount of dextrose, i used 1.5kg's to the 5 litre batch...
i'm expecting around 14%-15% once it's done
also, i'm thinking of bottling half and fractional freezing the other half, just for laughs to see how high i can get the alcohol content

:eek:

So a wine yeast? Wow, that's going to end up pretty high alc. Otherwise similar to mine, so it should work. I didn't add nutrient to mine, and it still fermented. It only had a light sprinkling of bubbles in the middle, no foaming, but then there isn't really anything in there to foam (if that makes sense).

I'd be very wary of the fractionally frozen Kilju. The lack of nutrients may lead to even more nasty production (esthers, etc) than usual, and they will be concentrated. It could make you pretty ill.

i probably won't be drinking any of the fractionally frozen stuff, just want to play around to see what i can get the alcohol content up to (i get bored easily and decide to do dumb crap)
yeah, i did use a wine yeast, it foamed a little after the second day
it's still really cloudy, so i might crash chill it once it's finished fermenting and see how that goes

I think i may killed it...
i put the heater belt on and went sat down for a bit, accidentally fell asleep, woke up and the temp was up at 35 degrees
it's almost stopped bubbling all together, whereas it was still going quite well before it got hot
should i add a little more yeast, or just bottle it and drink it?

Depends on whether it's done or not. If you don't want to check th SG then taste it. There should be no sweetness.

Probably your best bet, though you may get lucky and have your yeast start up again.

well it ended up around 8% and still kind of sweet,
it stopped fermenting to i just crash chilled it and had a few glasses
isn't too bad, but i can't drink too much of it

Add lemon juice to cut the sweetness? I am probably going to have a go at the 6 percent again. A fermenter full, or one of those 11L waterbottles full at any rate. Then see if I can't cut back the wine taste with carbon (thanks Tony if you're reading this, though I doubt it).

Besides super sweet what other favours did you get?

Back