Kilju

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jivesucka

Reaction score
I've come across several recipes, but first a brief description. Kilju is made from sugar and water. An average fermenter would need six kilos of sugar, the normal amount of water and preferably turbo yeast. what the document doesn't mention is the fact you will need to filter out the sediment prior to bottling otherwise it makes you ill. some other website reccomends using pantyhose to filter it out. anyways,
below
is the
link to the
the document

sounds like a nazi slogan more than a drink

sounds like it would taste aweful. to each their own I guess.

Why would you want to make it?
Cheers

Because you live in Finland. Its dark for 6 months of the year. Too cold to go out and there's frack all else to do than sit around getting as drunk as possible as quickly and cheaply as possible. The Finns are famous as heavy drinkers. Even the Russians (who aren't exactly a nation of lightweights) are scared of the Finns.

Mind you, if I had nothing to do but sit around getting drunk I'd probably make something a little more palatable to do it on. That stuff sounds vile.

Cheers
Dave

Too cold to go out and there's frack all else to do than sit around getting as drunk as possible as quickly and cheaply as possible.

Don't forget the saunas.

That said, I can only assume it would taste much like the stuff we used to disinfect the microbiology labs when I was a wee one.

Hehe, i have early memories of one of my grandfather's buddies in amazing convulsions throwing up from what I now know to be Kilju. It might be worth noting that proper Finnish bakers yeast used for sahti is different to other such yeasts and throws out certain funky flavours. Definitely sounds vile.

I once made something like that - in an effort to replicate subzero. (Am I showing my age here? Anyone remember that shite?)

I succeded, in that fermented sugar water was just as vile as the bottled stuff.

yes! i remember that stuff! the closest you can get these days is that smirnoff black ice

I am inclined to believe that the reason kilju would taste so fowl is because of the lack of natural nitrates, phenols and various nutrients found in traditional sugar sources of brews like malts, grapes and apples. Has anyone tried making kilju with yeast nutrient added in sufficient quantity? I would imagine you could make a clean, tasteless drink this way, perfect for mixing. :)

There is a more refined version called Sima which may be spiced with lemons and raisins.

I would try it if I was in Finland and offered it with the traditional donut or whatever other rituals/customs they have but I'm in no hurry to make it myself.

i currently have brewing

5.5 kgs sugar
juice of two lemons
pinch of epson salt
200grams of tomato paste
made up to 23L
40 +- grams dry bakers yeast
(this is someone else's recipe)

it kicked off at 1090 and is now around 1050 (day 5)
it should work down to 990 ish (i hope) and be around 13% alc.

I tasted some today, and it's still very sweet and the subzero comment made me just think of what it's kind of like it's fizzy !!
with a good shot of some sort of syrup it could be drinkable (for a drunk, maybe)

the 5L experimental batch i did is at 990, it surprisingly tastes ok (ish), and smells quite ok (ish)
it's still a little cloudy and needs cold crashing but no room in the fridge.
it looks a lot like this in the bottle right now
Sugar-wine.jpg

not to mention the price of spirits in Finland is sky high as the country is trying to reduce the extremely high rate of heart disease due to the amount of drinking there...but, oh what a place!

I've been dappling with gin, grapefruit juice and lemonade to try and replicate the Finnish 'Lonkero'.

I might try a cidar type recipe one day but use grapefruit and juniper berries.

Kippis!

well i did something similar to this, i used 6 cups of dextrose and 1 gallon of water, a crushed up vitamin b pill, and some yeast nutrient, let it brew to 35 proof (which took only 4 days with some champagne yeast) added some vanilla flavor and chilled it, nothing so rough as anyone seems to describe it, but then maybe the nutrient makes the difference, id do it again :)

Apparently they mix it with juice? My brother drank this while he was over there. I have no idea why - their homebrew essences are as cheap as ours (coopers mostly).

Marco - how much vanilla essence? Did you use that as your primer? How did it turn out? When did you add the nutrient and how much? Something like this might work to create an alcopop style drink (with cordial added in secondary and as the primer for flavour's sake).

jeez steady on, my ancestors are finns,via norway,then tassie and now south oz.
thats why i have 2 heads,3 dicks and am pissed 6 days out of 7.cheers..spog.... :rolleyes:
Because you live in Finland. Its dark for 6 months of the year. Too cold to go out and there's frack all else to do than sit around getting as drunk as possible as quickly and cheaply as possible. The Finns are famous as heavy drinkers. Even the Russians (who aren't exactly a nation of lightweights) are scared of the Finns.

Mind you, if I had nothing to do but sit around getting drunk I'd probably make something a little more palatable to do it on. That stuff sounds vile.

Cheers
Dave

This has got me interested.

Has anyone seen those flavourings at the brew shops? Would these work in something like this?

i think the finish use alchohol in the blood like glycol to stop their blood from freezing.
my brother brought bback a bottle of "spitz" which is 160 something% proof (over 80 % abv)
it has non subtle paint thinner overtones with a hint of cherry vomit :icon_vomit:
why the hell would anyone punish their body drinking this is beyond logic.
i use the bottle as a dare for people to have a nip. they only ever try it once, the bottle is nearly 7 years old now and still 1/4 full :icon_cheers:

Mintu (a mint schnapps) is pretty damn awesome though. Nom! Goes great in hot chocolate too.

According to my brother it's not really Kilju (pronounced Kill You (no really)) unless it's made in a bucket with sugar and bread yeast. Though personally if I wanted to drink paint thinner I would

What flavours does turbo yeast give off - is it a clean (non-existent) flavour? I think it, dex (rather than sugar) with nutrient would give a pretty pure flavour you could play around with.

sorry to dig up an old topic,
i put down a 5 litre batch of Kilju yesterday afternoon, and added some lemon peel and a little lemon juice to taste
doesn't seem to be doing much so far, had a little foam on it when i got home from work at midnight, but that's gone now
everything i've read online seems to say it should be going off chops by now, bubbling and foaming
i didn't activate the yeast before i pitched it, may this have lead to the yeast not working properly?

Back