Kevin Rudds Home Brewing Bonus

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like many on this thread i got my nose a little bent out of shape by some of the posts. I paid for my Uni degree, so did my wife. We are both teachers so i feel that we contribute something to society. We have 2 kids, and even on full time wages we will fall under the threshold for the $1000 bonus per child. It will make christmas and the new year that little bit easier i guess.

No we wont be going and spending it on televisions (or brewing equipment) we will be making sure that we use the money to ensure the future of our 2 children. IMO i am getting a little bit back from the government for the years of taxes that both my wife and i have paid (and our parents for that matter as well). The assertions that we would blow all money on smokes, drugs, pokies and televisions is not very well thought through.

Maybe people just need to stop being bitter that they missed out on a bonus, need to think for three seconds before they post comments that were not thought through and try to see things from another perspectives.

I am fortunate this time, i get the bonus when many dont.

Brew some more beer, be thankfull that you have a computer to share your opionion's and the freedoms to do so and enjoy life.

Hang ten - yep, we chose to have three kids and I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm not expecting anyone to 'bail me out' (bail me out of what?). WTF have auctions got to do with it?

C'mon, lets call a spade a spade here. I'm being made out to be a whinging, hard up, 'un-Australian' by asserting that people in the same income bracket and circumstances are considered by the government to be un-deserving of a benefit?

If you're going to say it, just say it. At the end of the day, Choppadoo is drawing a fairly long bow and making statements are baseless, merely by the fact that he has absolutely no idea about me or my circumstances.

For that reason, I find it pretty offensive.

Cheers - Mike

:icon_cheers:
Hi Mike,
Sorry I offended you.
The only reason i picked up on your post initially was that i thought it sounded a little expectant. Your right, i don't know anything about you or your circumstances (other than what you've posted).
There are undoubtedly countless people recieving these bonuses (and benefits year round) that simply do not deserve them. However, I would much rather have some undeserving people recieving them than having any people that actually need them miss out. Seperating those that have come to need support by their own choices from those that have come to need support by circumstances beyond their control is near on impossible.
As to whether you deserve or need it, I don't know. You may deserve it, but being that you yourself have stated that you are currently meeting your fiscal demands, then i would suggest that you do not (currently) need it.
I hope everything works out well for you and your family Mike.

For all that will recieve bonuses and are considering spending it on homebrewing, you definitely do not need it. Please put it in a savings account for your kids (top idea Mike), pay off a bit more of your mortgage, buy some groceries, or give it to a good charity so it can get to those who do need it.

Thats just my opinion though ;)

Cheers,
Brad

You're entitled to your perspective on it Andrew, no dramas there :) You're right, you can do half the process and just get residency........but that's not what we're talking about.

For the purposes of gaining citizenship for me or someone new to the country, the very first thing you have to do is gain residency, And all kiwi's have permanent residency, just not 'the right kind'. We have the "yes you can pay taxes here" kind on the way in the gate, what we need is the "empty your bank account into the Aus gvmt's coffers first, and then pay taxes" kind :lol:

All I was saying is that they might be separate pieces of paper, and separate fees - but it's all the same process regardless of how you segregate it, and that's why DIMMS handle the entire process from start to finish.

anyway......now we're just making crop circles....
it all depends on when NZ citizens first arrived in Australia. Straight from the citizenship website

<H1>As a New Zealander, am I eligible for Australian citizenship?</H1>If you arrived on or before 26 February 2001
If you arrived on or before this date, it is quite possible that you are a permanent resident for citizenship purposes. You would be eligible to apply for Australian citizenship if you meet all the other requirements, including the residence and character requirements.
See: [URL="http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applying/application-process/index.htm"]Applying for Citizenship

http://If you arrived after 26 February 2001
If you arrived after this date, you may be a permanent resident for citizenship purposes if:

• you have a permanent resident visa
    or
  • you were outside Australia on 26 February 2001 but had spent a period of 12 months in Australia on a Special Category Visa in the two years before this date. The 12 months do not need to be continuous
    or
  • you have a Centrelink certificate, issued under the Social Security Act 1991, that states that you were, for the purposes of the Act, residing in Australia on a particular date. These certificates are no longer issued.
You would be eligible to apply for Australian citizenship if you meet all the other requirements, including the residence and character requirements.
See: Applying for Citizenship

http://
................................................................... visa background for people from NZ. also have some info for children born in Australia with parents from NZ................................

Under various arrangements since the 1920s, there has been a free flow of people between Australia and New Zealand.

The 1973 Trans-Tasman Travel Arrangement has allowed Australian and New Zealand citizens to enter each other's country to visit, live and work, without the need to apply for authority to enter the other country.

The movement of New Zealanders to and from Australia relates primarily to the economic conditions prevailing in both countries. In particular, the number of New Zealanders in Australia increases in times of economic buoyancy in Australia relative to New Zealand and decreases when economic conditions are slow.

At 30 June 2005, an estimated 449 000 New Zealand citizens were present in Australia.

<H2>Visa requirements

On 1 September 1994, amendments made by the Migration Act 1958, resulted in a number of changes to migration legislation.

One of the changes introduced was the legal requirement for all non-citizens lawfully in Australia to hold visas.

As a result, the Special Category Visa (SCV) was introduced for New Zealand citizens. In practical terms, there was no change to procedures for New Zealand citizens wanting to come to Australia. They continue to need only a valid New Zealand passport to travel to Australia and in most cases, do not need to seek a visa before travelling1.

At the time of presenting their passports for immigration clearance they are considered to have applied for a visa and, subject to health or character considerations, will automatically receive an SCV which is recorded electronically.

Their New Zealand passports are stamped, showing the date of arrival in Australia. This is the only evidence provided or necessary to show they are holders of an SCV.

People who become New Zealand citizens after their arrival in Australia can, subject to health and character considerations, obtain an SCV from the Department of Immigration and Citizenship, as can New Zealand citizens who were already in Australia before 1 September 1994.

Certain New Zealand citizens who were already in Australia before 1 September 1994, and were still in Australia on that date, automatically became SCV holders on 1 September 1994.

Is it necessary to apply for a permanent residence visa?
It is not necessary for a New Zealand citizen who holds an SCV to apply for or be granted permanent residence in Australia. The SCV allows a New Zealand citizen to remain and work in Australia lawfully as long as that person remains a New Zealand citizen.

In conjunction with the introduction of the new bilateral social security arrangement between Australia and New Zealand on 26 February 2001, the Australian Government also announced that New Zealand citizens who arrive in Australia on or after 27 February 2001 must apply for, and be granted, Australian permanent residence if they wish to access certain social security payments not covered by the bilateral agreement, obtain Australian citizenship or sponsor their family members for permanent residence. Under transitional provisions, these changes do not affect New Zealand citizens who:

• were in Australia on 26 February 2001 as SCV holders
  • were outside Australia on 26 February 2001, but were in Australia as an SCV holder for a total of 12 months in the 2 years prior to that date, and subsequently returned to Australia, or
  • have a certificate, issued under the Social Security Act 1991, stating that they were residing in Australia on a particular date. These certificates are no longer issued.
[/url]Australian citizenship
Applying for citizenship
New Zealand citizens who arrive on or after 27 February 2001 may be eligible for Australian citizenship if they have a permanent visa or meet the transitional provisions described above.

New Zealand citizens, aged 16 and over, applying for Australian citizenship should check the information on penal clearance certificates available from the departments website.
See:
<A href="http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/character-requirements/index.htm">Character and Penal Clearance Requirements

People who arrived in Australia before the age of 16 and have not resided in New Zealand are not required to provide character and penal clearances.

Further information is available on the departments citizenship website.
See:
www.citizenship.gov.au

Citizenship by birth before 1 September 1994
Every person born in Australia on or after 26 January 1949 and before 20 August 1986, is an Australian citizen by birth (with the exception of certain children born to diplomats and certain other excluded people).

Following amendments to the Australian Citizenship Act 1948 (the Act), a person born in Australia on or after 20 August 1986 is an Australian citizen by birth only if at least one of the parents was an Australian citizen or permanent resident at the time of the person's birth. However, this did not include the children of New Zealand parents.

This is because most New Zealanders in Australia between 20 August 1986 and 31 August 1994 were 'exempt non-citizens'2. The Act specifically excluded the children of 'exempt non-citizens' from obtaining Australian citizenship by birth.

When the Migration Reform Act came into effect on 1 September 1994, the term 'exempt non-citizen' ceased to apply and SCVs were introduced for New Zealand citizens.

Citizenship by birth from 1 September 1994 to 26 February 2001
From 1 September 1994 to 26 February 2001, a child born in Australia to a New Zealand citizen parent who held an SCV, is an Australian citizen by birth.

Citizenship by birth From 27 February 2001
A child born in Australia, on or after 27 February 2001, to a New Zealand citizen parent/s is not an Australian citizen by birth, unless the New Zealand citizen parent:

• was not affected by the 26 February 2001 changes, or
  • held an Australian permanent resident visa or Australian citizenship.
Note: Children born to a New Zealand parent who was living in Australia temporarily as a diplomat or as the holder of a special purpose visa (that is guests of government, aircrew or armed forces and their families) are not Australian citizens by birth.

Automatic acquisition of citizenship on 10th birthday.
A child born in Australia on or after 20 August 1986, who did not acquire Australian citizenship at birth, automatically acquires it on their 10th birthday if they have been ordinarily resident in Australia for 10 years from birth. This provision operates regardless of the parent/s immigration or citizenship

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
in short it all appears to be a matter of timing, good timing easy process low cost, bad luck and poor timing and longer and more expensive process.

</H2>

Now look!..........please don`t be encouraging more of them over here :lol:

staggalee.

I thought the idea of this handout was to stimulate the economy and take the pressure off houshold spending.
So would'nt going out and buying a plasma be doing just what its supposed to for the ecomony?
I think the figures look pretty fair to me, but I am just in the running for $2000. :rolleyes:

http://www.facs.gov.au/Internet/FAO/FAO1.n...ftba-income.htm

I thought the idea of this handout was to stimulate the economy and take the pressure off houshold spending.
So would'nt going out and buying a plasma be doing just what its supposed to for the ecomony?
I think the figures look pretty fair to me, but I am just in the running for $2000. :rolleyes:

foghorn_.gif

staggalee.

Now look!..........please don`t be encouraging more of them over here :lol:

staggalee.

Now now, shit loads of Aussies are coming over here too at the mo.. I deal with them all the time.

Our government is trying to encourage spending again, and I think thats what yours is doing by lowering the OCR by a whole percent... More spending boosts the economy as opposed to everyone hiding their pennys under the matress...

Geez clean brewer you sure started something, thought I'd better chime in, seems I'm one of only a few left of the AHB community who haven't expressed an opinion. What do I think about some people receiving a cash bosus and how they spend it ? Hmmmm - thought about it a bit and figured posting on AHB never results in changing the world/politics or the economy so I turned to my book of standard answers and chose

No. 3: I DON"T GIVE A SHIT

Thanks for the opportunity to once again express my opinion :)

So much whinging and conjecture - this thread belongs in the WALOC forum :lol:

I'm starting to like Rudd a bit more this morning,

"big-earning CEOs would be taxed at a rate of 50 per cent once their incomes hit $1m under a new 'fat cat tax' plan."

That may seem like a good thing, but it can also discourage high earning and really good CEO type people from residing and working in Australia, it may work, but could also have a very negative effect on future businesses and in effect your economy...

Latest posts

Back