Kegmenter. Are they good to use?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive got my first 50L pale ale pressure ferment in the kegmenter. Its sitting at 10psi at 8 days.
How are you guys dry hopping? When it comes to dropping pressure out, putting hops in and re-pressurising.
Do you chuck them in loose or use a bag? Is there issues with purging an already carbonated beer.
I'm worried about clogging the float and tube and introducing O2 into the beer.
1541274677611~2.jpeg

I just dry hop from day dot. Transfer to serving keg after 5 days. Leave for a week at room temp in serving keg before chilling.

Did a pacific ale style last week, after kegging it I drank the leftovers directly from the kegmenter and they were delicious. Full of passionfruit aroma and flavour. It could be chilled and served right now and it would be perfect.

Nottingham loves the pressure!

g2VAWWUKSWMyH1Ko2NGaNyAvMrmqhU49wacXawgiEzS0aZfVGQTkgVqQ4bNRNzC6yQMZ0FAbt09F9W2HhQy375YoVLJ5nzb-lnFtytlU3p3suDpijC7wIlCYTP8Dglwr885Izo9zELlZRWbCdH-OTCC8jXMEmkfiFuRJutdwjylq5DxDfVwom9A2KRC5JJeR3NCTyE_wmzwaamIqqRprg1hi8kMg4V5kplx5xJnava9M5tllbN3whz0uQBd1MNc01Pp0h29Os0q2VYZ4g8qBJIQHGihJMHEobcoH4-s_hkx-xYXQ5fkkCszYjV_-9aJgycx-Lpxi-ytMxV3t-NZKWSZrMohuW4g3wSvnU-4Fr1PRbrON317OOmDgoCB0VmUw3Mhf2G4DzlUwzpeahumPv7Fk2_GUCcYXLrbtBNqOW2dCNdm298nwWrbT96x6wVCfKfvXg-9Ly1-bSRIPsG5r1bfDx1947Xt-ENOE-qdKrMhVFJYLjTINEnN8ld5a_cvUsLB_mQg7y9qlbHf9yiMtizH8lltqMMXcs7RdR9kT0gDBvwoNiiFUYOU_Z9dmnEQhJV2j7K4VlFe893qDcjwzIjdlTGMAh_TOt7c5-dwfG28vLwSMLP08ddXIP-DqLRSfk8oBpa_mHtaHCNrm6zxwCaJyyxK00MjFJ-lQeY0MXUBo=w670-h893-no

yep since starting pressure fermenting i have been dry hopping when i pitch yeast to avoid the wort volcano.
beers have been fruitier and delicious.
Ageee pitching hops with yeast can work very well for some styles - and is necessary for biotrasformation eg NIEPAS - but it pays to be aware that not all hop varieties and beer styles respond so well to this. Reducing oxidisation introduced by post-fermentation dry hop is definitely a benefit.

Got my 58L kegmenter from Keg King.

Quick question - does anyone have a single upright fridge/freezer in which they can store 2 + cornies and a kegmenter?

E.g. 2x cornies in front of compressor step, and Kegmenter on the shelf above, or ideally, kegmenter just above compressor step and 2-4 cornies on shelf above?

Interested to see/hear about any similar setups!

Got my 58L kegmenter from Keg King.

Quick question - does anyone have a single upright fridge/freezer in which they can store 2 + cornies and a kegmenter?

E.g. 2x cornies in front of compressor step, and Kegmenter on the shelf above, or ideally, kegmenter just above compressor step and 2-4 cornies on shelf above?

Interested to see/hear about any similar setups!

Yeah I have an old kelvinator fridge that fits a 50L keg with 2 cornies next to it, all on one shelf above the hump. about 700 wide from memory.

Kegged a NEIPA (of sorts) yesterday. Pitched it last monday so about 7 days in. Nottingham took it from 1.063 to 1.008 at 20c. Beastly Yeastlies.

Drew a small sample to measure and taste. So much hop aroma and flavour. Quite dry though, almost a Brut. Not quite what I was going for but happy nonetheless.

It also came out so much clearer than anticipated. I did a pacific ale last week and it came out as above, plenty of wheat haze. This one seemed a fair bit more clear even though the grist was similar except I added some golden naked oats as well. Weird. Looking forward to smashing some in a couple of weeks when its tapped for an event.

Kegged a NEIPA (of sorts) yesterday. Pitched it last monday so about 7 days in. Nottingham took it from 1.063 to 1.008 at 20c. Beastly Yeastlies.

Drew a small sample to measure and taste. So much hop aroma and flavour. Quite dry though, almost a Brut. Not quite what I was going for but happy nonetheless.

It also came out so much clearer than anticipated. I did a pacific ale last week and it came out as above, plenty of wheat haze. This one seemed a fair bit more clear even though the grist was similar except I added some golden naked oats as well. Weird. Looking forward to smashing some in a couple of weeks when its tapped for an event.

You made a clear NEIPA? wow! that might be the next big trend :)

I've had the odd brew that went too far on the dry side as well I normally just blend it up with something a little less dry.
ie. I make something similar with a less aggressive yeast and put them together.
I've never managed the back sweetening thing successfully.

You made a clear NEIPA? wow! that might be the next big trend :)

I've had the odd brew that went too far on the dry side as well I normally just blend it up with something a little less dry.
ie. I make something similar with a less aggressive yeast and put them together.
I've never managed the back sweetening thing successfully.

The sample was a bit small to really tell, was just a bit in the bottom of a wine glass. It doesn't need back sweetening. Was nice and crisp and refreshing. I wish I had more at the time.

Could I make one of these out of an old 20 gallon DB keg?

20 gallon? Never seen a keg that large before. That would be 75L. Bloody heavy keg!

I thought the biggest was a US half barrel which is 15.5 gallon or about 58L?

Or is it really old?

20 Imperial Gallons is 90L (but I've only ever heard of 18gal kegs)
They were used here before we shifted to the 50L kegs we use now
You see them as mailboxes out in woopwoop quite a bit
Quite a few people use the 18gal ones for brewing in, I've got one hidden away at home
keg-jpg.24765

I'm pretty sure they are 20 US gallons not Imperial if it's the old DB keg I'm thinking of.
That is about 75 litres. But they are bloody big.

So I just got home and the pressure was a bit high so I adjusted the PRV to vent the fermenter and get the pressure back down where I want it. When I did this there was a very strong smell of DMS which I haven't noticed before.

Will I end up with DMS flavour in the finished beer or will it be ok?

During fermentation, CO2 bubbles actually help remove DMS from the beer. More vigorous ale yeasts tend to produce lower DMS levels. Also different strains of yeast do tend to produce DMS during fermentation primarily by converting DMSO (which does not boil off) to DMS. Lager yeasts will have a higher DMS because of the lower fermentation temperature. A reason to be wary of the pressures used and how long for during pressure fermentation. Some good reading in Wiley Online Library.

Latest posts

Back