Kegmenter. Are they good to use?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danscraftbeer

Reaction score
Anyone use them and are they a good choice? It can fit in my temp control fridge were a conical would not.
I'm thinking of getting one because a batch of beers I've made taste like plastic. Still puzzled as to why but fear that my plastic fermenters have done too many miles perhaps. Plastic stains and retains smell etc. I feel that stainless or glass is really the only true cure of this but I don't want to use glass carboys.

Yes there are members here that use them, conversion kits are available from brewers hardware (Crusty uses one of these) and also kits from brewhardware(my fave as you can pressure ferment) both these are in the states. There is also the kegmenter from Keg king though I haven't read up on it. Google and the search engine here are your friend. There are quite a few threads on fermenting under pressure and way to much info to put in a single post. Research before you hand over the dollars, that way you know where your heading beforehand, both of the linked kits are top quality, one won't do pressure one will, but whether that is on the list of things you want to do, is up to you.

hi

I bought two and do like them. There was some trouble sealing them, where they would leak around the hinge area of the tri-clamp but a mix of wetting the seal, tightening the clamp and holding the tongue in the right spot has ironed that out

great for conditioning and subsequently serving beer from but also handy for storing beer in long-term too

This is my newest version put together with parts I already had. 8"<2" triclover with side pot for the cone. Cooling coil to be run from a 160l chest freezer filled with water. In the process of cleaning the vessel and still have to make the racking arm and instrument fittings.
2016-01-14 16.37.56.jpg
2016-01-14 16.39.24.jpg
Edit im not good enough to get the seam weld sanitary, yet. So will just hit it with a map gas burner before use until I can fix it.

Excellent. Thanks for the pics guys. I can pick up a keg king type in the short run. In future I may get some free kegs and get the welder out myself after seeing those pics. I like all the options of this. Got to read up some more.

yeah Screwtop should be the same size flange on top once the spear and associated gear is removed.

I'm not sure what you guys are referring too but here's the top of a KegKing Kegmenter FYIimage.jpg

ok just so no confusion is cause I was talking about the ones I linked, the one in droids pic seems to have a 4" TC welded on their NICE!!

ED: droid can you get your hand in there to clean?

For an A type coupler The fitting you need is a 2" triclover ferrule or endcap. With a small pair of electronics side cutters the rib on one side can be cutting off the gasket easily.

I think that's the idea but no, I can't quite get my arm in, stopping tight around widest part of the forearm I'm too scared to push it. But some people could, worth considering tho for sure.

Could always get the mrs to do it I spose

1402091172714.jpg
this pic is from our inverted cousins, the fitting is from brewhardware and fits a standard 2" TC really like this as a set up. one day!

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

I got some made with 6in triclamp. I love them. I use a spunding valve for pressure relief/adjustment whilst fermenting and serving.

Probably the only downside is you can't throw them around like a corny. CO2 transfer only for me

lickapop said:
attachicon.gif
image.jpeg
attachicon.gif
image.jpeg
attachicon.gif
image.jpeg

I got some made with 6in triclamp. I love them. I use a spunding valve for pressure relief/adjustment whilst fermenting and serving.

Probably the only downside is you can't throw them around like a corny. CO2 transfer only for me
where did you get the work done, it's always hard to find a place that'll do sanitary welds like those and how much was it if you remember?

A local bloke in Townsville did it.

I got 5 kegs done for $700 including getting the posts and thermowell welded
That obviously didn't include the fittings and keg.

The Keg King version want around at the time or I probably would have considered it. 4in is pretty tight tho for my guns to fit in.

MastersBrewery said:
where did you get the work done, it's always hard to find a place that'll do sanitary welds like those and how much was it if you remember?
Ask around any wineries in your area. They often know of someone who does sanitary welds. Not the Mom and Pop ones, but the slightly bigger ones.

Awesome. I just got one. :beerbang:

So the gist of what I've read mostly talks about lager brewed under pressure. What about everything else? Its not a big deal really. The option is to brew under pressure or to have a blow off tube into a bottle of solution is the same as any fermenter not pressurized.
What about brewing warmer brews under pressure? not so good?

Back