Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to sell my BZ gen 4... I transfer to the fermenter through the tap . it clogs every time... What am I doing wrong?

@KegLand-com-au

I’m trying to put a carb cap onto my Mk4 regulator so I can easily detach my gas lines (as seen in the picture attached)

I’m assuming the part is a 1/4 FFL to 6.35mm duotight adapter, however there doesn’t appear to be any such part on the website, could you (or anyone else) assist? Thanks

IMG_4272.jpeg

@KegLand-com-au

I’m trying to put a carb cap onto my Mk4 regulator so I can easily detach my gas lines (as seen in the picture attached)

I’m assuming the part is a 1/4 FFL to 6.35mm duotight adapter, however there doesn’t appear to be any such part on the website, could you (or anyone else) assist? Thanks

View attachment 124622
Most regulators have a 1/4 thread in the body of the regulator so this is probably the part you need:

https://kegland.com.au/products/duotight-6-35mm-female-x-bsp-male-bulkhead

Alternatively if you wanted to use the MFL thread then you can use this combination of fittings:

https://kegland.com.au/products/duotight-8mm-5-16-female-x-ffl-female-thread-to-fit-mfl-disconnects
and one of these:
https://kegland.com.au/products/duotight-6-35mm-female-x-8mm-5-16-female-reducer

I’d use a festo whatever thread off your regulator to pushing for your hose. At a rough guess I’d say an 8mm to 1/4” bsp. Festo air connections don’t leak like those grey ones do

I’d use a festo whatever thread off your regulator to pushing for your hose. At a rough guess I’d say an 8mm to 1/4” bsp. Festo air connections don’t leak like those grey ones do

Obviously I am a little biased as we sell the duotight fittings around the world and have sold many hundreds of thousands of these and are broadly seen as a reliable fitting. If however you have a leak can you please send the fitting back to us for investigation so we can better understand how you are using the fitting.

Festo is a great brand but it's designed as a pneumatic fitting and many have nickle coated parts that will come off when in contact with acids that we regularly use in the beer industry. Festo also have a high "minimum" pressure which makes them not suitable for home brewing. Festo fittings are good at 30-100psi but many of the fittings have a minimum pressure which is 15-30psi and this minimum pressure is required to for the tubing to "seat" correctly in the push in fittings. The duotight fittings have a tighter seal with double o-ring which is one of the reasons why they seal at even low pressures below 15psi.

I’ve had many of yours leak when the hose isn’t dead straight out of your fitting and that’s after careful cutting and even beveled. I’ve also had other brewers say the same thing
The festo fittings only have buckle plated fingers that don’t come into contact with the liquid at all (at least not that I’ve found)
After 4 years of using various festo fillings I’ve never had a leak
Stick with what you know works!

I’ve had many of yours leak when the hose isn’t dead straight out of your fitting and that’s after careful cutting and even beveled. I’ve also had other brewers say the same thing
The festo fittings only have buckle plated fingers that don’t come into contact with the liquid at all (at least not that I’ve found)
After 4 years of using various festo fillings I’ve never had a leak
Stick with what you know works!
Would it be to much for you to get the parts back to us. This way we can refund you or replace the parts but more importantly have a look at how you are putting them together so we better understand the issue. Also what was your order number?

The duotight fittings require a couple critical things to ensure a reliable seal:
1. The outside diameter of the line is smooth
2. The line is inserted to the correct depth

Beveling the edge does help some customers get the line into the correct dept but if you push the tube a bit harder while you rotate the line or alternatively if you lubricate the line this also make it easier for insertion. Either way as long as the line ends up at the correct dept that is the most important thing.

I look forward to getting your fittings back so we can better understand your unique problem. Home brewers use pressures often under 15psi and Festo don't even recommend their own fittings at these low pressures.

Would it be to much for you to get the parts back to us. This way we can refund you or replace the parts but more importantly have a look at how you are putting them together so we better understand the issue. Also what was your order number?

The duotight fittings require a couple critical things to ensure a reliable seal:
1. The outside diameter of the line is smooth
2. The line is inserted to the correct depth

Beveling the edge does help some customers get the line into the correct dept but if you push the tube a bit harder while you rotate the line or alternatively if you lubricate the line this also make it easier for insertion. Either way as long as the line ends up at the correct dept that is the most important thing.

I look forward to getting your fittings back so we can better understand your unique problem. Home brewers use pressures often under 15psi and Festo don't even recommend their own fittings at these low pressures.
I’ve thrown out those that leak. I may have one or two still around but I’d have to check them out to see
At present that won’t be happening anytime soon as I have more pressing things to do

Yes this is happening and we will definitely be releasing the product this year but we wanted to make further cosmetic changes so we have been going back and forth with the design quite a lot. We are changing the front of the unit to have nicer integrated LED lights and stuff like that. Sorry for the long delay but hope the finished product will be worth the wait.
These mini kegerators still on track for this year?

@KegLand-com-au the Can Filler now has two different ID sized SS tubes for the Gas and Liquid line but they appear to have the same OD. Which size is for which? I assume the smaller ID is for the beer (to provide max back pressure/least foaming)? Is that correct?

I try to keep up to date with all of your new product releases through your Specials/New Arrivals tab on your website but I seem to have missed the Cellar Science Yeast drop. Any idea if/when you will be getting more of this

CellarScience - BAJA Mexican Lager Yeast x 12g​

I'd love to get a Mexican Lager brewed up before summer

@KegLand-com-au the Can Filler now has two different ID sized SS tubes for the Gas and Liquid line but they appear to have the same OD. Which size is for which? I assume the smaller ID is for the beer (to provide max back pressure/least foaming)? Is that correct?
The OD of the tube is the same. We do have different diameters of the flexible tube that connects to SS tubes. Is that what you are talking about?

I try to keep up to date with all of your new product releases through your Specials/New Arrivals tab on your website but I seem to have missed the Cellar Science Yeast drop. Any idea if/when you will be getting more of this

CellarScience - BAJA Mexican Lager Yeast x 12g​

I'd love to get a Mexican Lager brewed up before summer

Yes the CellarScience yeast has been selling really well and already quite a few of them have sold out. The brand is owned by MoreBeer in America and they have been selling this brand for some time in Americal already where it's already earned quite a good reputation. I think it's great value and we have another shipment arriving in 2 weeks. We also have some really sharply priced 500gram bricks of yeast too that have been popular with commercial brewers.

I think the Mexican Lager is not going to be in this shipment in 2 weeks unfortunately so that particular strain probably will not arrive until the next shipment in November.

Latest posts

Back