Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is really impossible question to answer. If your conical tanks are as well insulated as our tanks like this then it will be no problem:
https://www.kegland.com.au/products/200l-conical-fermenter-with-dimple-jacket-and-insulation-unitank

As you can see on our tanks they are triple wall so have the inner skin, glycol jacket, then 50mm PU foam.

Many home brew customers purchase tanks with far worse insulation that this as they are cheaper but then as a result you have to over-spec the glycol chiller.

What you can do is simply cool the tank with a known quantity of liquid in the tank down to lets say 1C or as close to freezing as possible without actually getting ice in the tank (ice will put of the readings). Then log the temperature increase. Using the rate of temperature increase in the tank over time and also the total volume of liquid in the tank we can then work out what "heat ingress" you have given your tank design. Once you give us this information we can more efficiently answer your question.

Yes I gathered that was a kind of "how long is a piece of string" kind of question and your response is a fair one.

The conical I purchased is a Brewtools one and therefore extortionate rather than cheap and it is sold with a neoprene jacket that seems the same thickness as your Brewzilla / Digiboil units, but I'm thinking it would be better with a double neoprene layer, it can't hurt.

In the meantime, can you advise the power draws of the G20 please (under maximum load, and idling or maintaining/holding temperature) and the control method, ie is the pump always on, is the fan always on... thanks.

Yes I gathered that was a kind of "how long is a piece of string" kind of question and your response is a fair one.

The conical I purchased is a Brewtools one and therefore extortionate rather than cheap and it is sold with a neoprene jacket that seems the same thickness as your Brewzilla / Digiboil units, but I'm thinking it would be better with a double neoprene layer, it can't hurt.

In the meantime, can you advise the power draws of the G20 please (under maximum load, and idling or maintaining/holding temperature) and the control method, ie is the pump always on, is the fan always on... thanks.

I would probably go to BrewTools and see if they can provide you the "heat ingress" figures. I am guessing they should have this type of data. The cooling power of the G20 is 500 watts so as long as the heat ingress is less than about 400watts then you should have no issue.

If you do get this answer from BrewTools please post it on the forum as it might help others in a similar situation.

The max power consumption of the G20 is about 200watts.

Yes a double neoprene jacket would help but it would still not compare to proper 50mm PU. I am guessing that if you have a large delta between ambient and the liquid temp inside the fermenter then your heat ingress would still be more than 100 watts per square meter of surface area of fermenter. So this would probably be the case if you have a set temp of 0C and the ambient temp is 30C for instance. For instance if you had 3 square meters of surface area (even with the neoprene jacket) then you would probably get more than 300watss of heat ingress. That would be my guess.

Hey @KegLand-com-au, when using a duotight fitting on an 8mm OD stainless steel tube what's the right distance from the end to put a groove on the tube for the jaws to grab?

Thanks for the reply. I seems I should have done more research taking into account conicals designed for hot climates.

In any case, I think you have answered my question in that the G20 will be fine if I can limit heat ingress to match the cooling power of the unit.

Unfortunately I cannot test the heat ingress rate without a glycol chiller in the first place, so I decided to bite the bullet and I have already ordered a G20 unit. 👍 Looking forward to getting it.

I'm looking at the Kegland Wort Whipper and Erlenmeyer flasks but there are a couple of concerning review comments on the site. One says the unit only lasted for 5 starters over about 1 month before failure (warranty or not is not discussed) and another states that the Kegland flasks are not flat-bottomed flasks and consequently don't work very well. Could I get a comment on these product reviews please?

I see that Lallemand have a new yeast which is ideal for Hazy's/NEIPA's. Pomona is the name, any idea when you guys will be receiving stock?

I see that Lallemand have a new yeast which is ideal for Hazy's/NEIPA's. Pomona is the name, any idea when you guys will be receiving stock?
This yeast sounds Amazing. We have tried to order the product but for you home brewers you have to wait as Lallemand have not started to manufacture the 11.5gram packs so they are not available for us to purchase right now. Only the 500gram bricks are avaialble at the moment.

We are trying our best to get the stock ASAP but I have a feeling that I might have a new favorite yeast if all the marketing is correct.

This yeast sounds Amazing. We have tried to order the product but for you home brewers you have to wait as Lallemand have not started to manufacture the 11.5gram packs so they are not available for us to purchase right now. Only the 500gram bricks are avaialble at the moment.

We are trying our best to get the stock ASAP but I have a feeling that I might have a new favorite yeast if all the marketing is correct.
Will you guys be getting Novalager 500g bricks back in stock?

@KegLand-com-au, you answer a question about an unavailable, third party yeast and ignore my question about your own brand equipment in this thread about your products. I guess I won't buy it.
What size erlenmeyer flasks were you looking at, I have 5L ones and it certainly doesn't work on those... @KegLand-com-au would a larger stir bar help with this? did you test the larger flasks during development, I'd be interested in tips for making it work.

I was probably only looking at 2 litres and smaller. I found that a 1.5 litres starter in 2 litre jars or bottles is plenty to get a 60 litre FV going. I also want to use a stir plate in my latest venture, being the mushroom side to mycology. You can use a stir plate to produce liquid spawn.

All I was after was an answer in relation to the longevity issue with the Wort Whipper and warranty support, and whether or not they do work with the flasks they sell. I'd have though Kegland management or support would have added comment to the negative reviews on their site for this product, or at least addressed the concerns raised by purchasers.

I was probably only looking at 2 litres and smaller. I found that a 1.5 litres starter in 2 litre jars or bottles is plenty to get a 60 litre FV going. I also want to use a stir plate in my latest venture, being the mushroom side to mycology. You can use a stir plate to produce liquid spawn.

All I was after was an answer in relation to the longevity issue with the Wort Whipper and warranty support, and whether or not they do work with the flasks they sell. I'd have though Kegland management or support would have added comment to the negative reviews on their site for this product, or at least addressed the concerns raised by purchasers.
i have a 3L flask from the pre KK/KL wars...it has a slight concave. lim ooking to get a stir plate but now unsure if this will succeed. the KL wortwhipper shows a 3L flask on the plate? does it have a concaved arse also?

I'm looking at the Kegland Wort Whipper and Erlenmeyer flasks but there are a couple of concerning review comments on the site. One says the unit only lasted for 5 starters over about 1 month before failure (warranty or not is not discussed) and another states that the Kegland flasks are not flat-bottomed flasks and consequently don't work very well. Could I get a comment on these product reviews please?
Sorry I missed this one as I was waiting for one of the other customer service staff to get back to me. The flasks are fine in my opinion and all of the flasks have a slight concave at the base of them and this is fairly normaly for an erlenmeyer flask.

I think the issue that we seem to have in partiaular sit the wort whipper is really only good for the smaller flasks up to 3Litre and when we get to the larger flasks we really need a more powerful stirrer and also one with a larger base that is more suitable for the larger flasks. We are actively looking for some larger ones at the moment and if we can't find one then we might have to make one ourselves.

Latest posts

Back