Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have these come out yet at all? Just wondering if I missed the first lot or not. Keen to hear what peoples thoughts are in the setup.

KegLand updated the product photos on the website. The metallic and clear plastic version photos are now replaced with a more generic amber/dark brown version (and the new photos notably don't show the detachable handle =c) ). So maybe the updated photos suggest they will be available again soon.

I remember when getting my stainless steel fermenter from Brewtech they recommended trisodium phosphate clean before use. Is that the way to clean the Kegland tri-clover butterfly valve, or is soaking in percarbonate is enough.

The collar where the valve lever connects (and thus the lever too) moves a bit - you can jiggle the whole bit up and down, although the valve inside stays still, is that normal :)

B

Last edited:
Is the Nukatap counterpressure filler compatible with Ultrataps (i.e. Keg-King taps)?

Is the Nukatap counterpressure filler compatible with Ultrataps (i.e. Keg-King taps)?

It should be, iirc both Nuka and Ultra are based off Intertap so they should be the same.

It does any on the product page that it's compatible with other forward sealing taps.

Thanks. I saw they were both 10 mm fittings, but even a tolerance of ±0.3 mm, could be the difference between no fit, a leaky fit, a perfect fit or a tight fit.

I've been burned before when assuming the thread for attachments was the same too.

What is the ETA for the tri-clamp and SS versions of the Fermzilla?

Can you tell us how the overall dimensions compare to the existing Fermzilla?

Have these come out yet at all? Just wondering if I missed the first lot or not. Keen to hear what peoples thoughts are in the setup.

These PCO38 kegs and accessories are pretty much all in stock but we have somehow misplaced or forgotten to order the handles. So we are just waiting on the handles for these to arrive before we put these on sale. The handles should come included with the kegs.

What is the ETA for the tri-clamp and SS versions of the Fermzilla?

Can you tell us how the overall dimensions compare to the existing Fermzilla?

Yes we also have a SS version of the FermZilla too. We still have a lot of work and quite a bit more testing to do on this new product so I can't give you a release time for this product yet but my guess would be that this is available second half of this year.

I remember when getting my stainless steel fermenter from Brewtech they recommended trisodium phosphate clean before use. Is that the way to clean the Kegland tri-clover butterfly valve, or is soaking in percarbonate is enough.

The collar where the valve lever connects (and thus the lever too) moves a bit - you can jiggle the whole bit up and down, although the valve inside stays still, is that normal :)

B

Generally speaking we do not recommend using phosphate based cleaners as they are bad for the environment and ideally should not be going into the waterways. The phosphates are slightly cheaper but many other slightly more expensive chemicals do just as good a job so I would suggest not using trisodium phosphate for environmental reasons. Many countries have already banned the use of phosphates.

Unfortunately Five Star PBW still contains phosphates as well so hopefully they change at some stage in the future.

All KegLand chemical cleaning products are phosphate free.

Sodium Percarbonate alone is not really that great. The first time you use it it seems to do a good job but then if you use it over and over again you will start to notice hop oils and other stuff starts to stick to the wall and is not removed. For this reason we recommend a blend of Sodium Percarbonate and other surfactants, water softeners and agents which is why we sell our own phosphate free PBW clening product you can purchase here. As it's a compounded product it's more expensive per kg than straight Sodium Percarbonate so some very thrifty customers might still want to keep using Sodium Percarbonate. With that said it's a bit of a false economy and you will probably end up using significantly more of the 100% sodium percarbonate in the long run as it's simply not as effective.

So in short, trisodium phosphate will workand can be used but we do not recommend it for environmental reasons.

With respect to where the handle connects to the drive shaft of the butterfly valve it's pretty normal for you to have a slight amount of play in this part. If it's excessive then tighten up the nut that holds the handle down.

Firstly, I don't know why you would get an Ultratap in the first place as if you compare this to the Nukatap SS the Nukatap SS has several advantages including:
1. More chemically resistant
2. Will pour with less first pour foam and therefore waste less beer
3. Has slightly more laminar flow
4. Is NSF certified, ANSI acredited and SCC acredited
5. Has much harder wearing seals that should last you a lifetime
6. As the Nukatap SS taps are sold in much higher volumes we are able to sell the tap at a lower cost so it's also better value
Anyway, I will get off my soap box now and put that aside.

If for some reason you do have a Ultratap, the Nukatap Counter Pressure bottle filler can attach to your taps in two different ways. As you can see we sell this product with all these included attachments:
kl21760_-_nukatap_-_telescopic_bottle_filler_-_02.jpg

Most standard tap spouts such as the Intertap tap and Nukatap use the 3/8" thread which is why a lot of the accessories are compatible and you can use the 3/8" Male x 8mm Duotight fitting which is included in the kit(as shown in photo above). Even though Keg King sell some taps with a 3/8 spout to my understanding the Ultratap has a different thread on the spout so I dont think this 3/8" fitting above will work. With that said if you have an Ultratap you can probably still use the 1/4 Male x Push in spout (as also shown above in the photo). I can't say I have done this myself but I believe the Ultratap has 10mm bore so this should work ok.

Firstly, I don't know why you would get an Ultratap in the first place as if you compare this to the Nukatap SS the Nukatap SS has several advantages including
Nukatap didn't exist when I got the Ultrataps, and your previous KK clone taps were perpetually out of stock anyway.

None of the [trimmed] marketing spiel is particularly objective or measurable, and there's no mention of a lifetime warranty to back up the lifetime seals claim.

In any case, I'm hardly going to throw out my taps and replace them all with Nukataps...

my understanding the Ultratap has a different thread on the spout so I dont think this 3/8" fitting above will work
This is correct.

It seems to be a complete TapCooler alternative/clone, you'd need to have a push-in fitting on your extension piece -- similar to this. Probably handy for those with Nukataps too, as it mitigates the need to faff around unscrewing nozzles.

Firstly, I don't know why you would get an Ultratap in the first place as if you compare this to the Nukatap SS the Nukatap SS has several advantages including:
1. More chemically resistant
2. Will pour with less first pour foam and therefore waste less beer
3. Has slightly more laminar flow
5. Has much harder wearing seals that should last you a lifetime
6. As the Nukatap SS taps are sold in much higher volumes we are able to sell the tap at a lower cost so it's also better value
Anyway, I will get off my soap box now and put that aside.

If for some reason you do have a Ultratap, the Nukatap Counter Pressure bottle filler can attach to your taps in two different ways. As you can see we sell this product with all these included attachments:
kl21760_-_nukatap_-_telescopic_bottle_filler_-_02.jpg

Most standard tap spouts such as the Intertap tap and Nukatap use the 3/8" thread which is why a lot of the accessories are compatible and you can use the 3/8" Male x 8mm Duotight fitting which is included in the kit(as shown in photo above). Even though Keg King sell some taps with a 3/8 spout to my understanding the Ultratap has a different thread on the spout so I dont think this 3/8" fitting above will work. With that said if you have an Ultratap you can probably still use the 1/4 Male x Push in spout (as also shown above in the photo). I can't say I have done this myself but I believe the Ultratap has 10mm bore so this should work ok.
Has anyone from your department informed the NSF, ANSI and SCC of your accreditation and certificates for the Nukatap as they don't seem to have any records of any Keg Land products, nor of the Nukatap!

Nukatap didn't exist when I got the Ultrataps, and your previous KK clone taps were perpetually out of stock anyway.

None of the [trimmed] marketing spiel is particularly objective or measurable, and there's no mention of a lifetime warranty to back up the lifetime seals claim.

In any case, I'm hardly going to throw out my taps and replace them all with Nukataps...

This is correct.

It seems to be a complete TapCooler alternative/clone, you'd need to have a push-in fitting on your extension piece -- similar to this. Probably handy for those with Nukataps too, as it mitigates the need to faff around unscrewing nozzles.

Thanks for that feedback. We are always open to criticism and I think it's important for customers to be critical of manufactures. With respect to the Nukatap vs Ultratap comparison I would suggest you to testing just like we do so you can make your own judgement. The testing we used to form our opinion included:

1. Chemical Testing
We test a number of chemicals that are used in the brewing industry. To accellerate the testing we use higher concentration that what is normally used. For our testing we take apart the tap and immerse all parts and all seals into several chemicals for 2 months. Some of the tests include:
a) Acetic Acid (pure vinegar from the supermarket will do)
b) Phosphoric Acid 30% concentration
c) Lactic Acid
d) 70% ethanol
e) Caustic soda 20% concentration
f) PBW - at 5 times the normal concentration

From our testing the silicone seals were damaged by the phosphoric acid with the surface becomming chalky and small cracks appeared. The black seals that we assume are NBR experienced damage caused by the acetic acid and were slightly swolen. In full disclosure I will also say that from this testing we also revealed that our nylon bushings in the first Nukataps failed which is one of the reasons we replaced all nylon bushings with self lubricating HDPE. These new self lubricating bushings were changed to RED colour so they can be easily identified as you can see here in this seal kit. We also found self lubcricating feature nice anyway as it alowed for smoother tap movement which was a secondary benefit.

2.First Pour Foam Testing
This testing is fairly straight forward to do. We used one keg and then put a tee piece in the beer line and split off to both the Nukatap and Ultratap. We left the taps warm up to room temp then poured a beer through the Nukatap then wait another 15 min then pour a beer through the ultratap, then repeated this process 4 times with different beer types. On every test we did the first pour foam was more on the Ultratap. With that said we would really appreciate other people posting their own research here as a form of "peer review"

3. Laminar Flow Testing
This is difficult to measure numerically but we have done a lot of computer simulation which is difficult for customers to replicate. With that said if you just pour a beer you will notice the Nukataps have a very laminar stream and probably the best test for you guys to do at home is to just see how much foam you get on the two taps and we are confident you will get the same results as we did.

Well this is fact. As we sell a lot of Nukataps in America and many go into commercial installations we have got the NSF certification. We also sell the Nukataps into many other countriesincluding Canada which is why we also got the SCC acreditation. So it's fair to say that this is "fact".

5.Harder Wearing Seals
We have done extensive cycling testing and this is an area that we have gone to great expense to find the best compount. The main wearing seal are the seals that seal around the ball on the handle shaft. As this ball is moving back and forth over and over again this is where significant wear happens. As much as silicone is great for some applications it's not really great for everything especially wear and abrasion resistance. The red bushings that we use typically last well over 1million tap pours while silicone o-rings wear out under the same conditions after several thousand pours. We have done this cycle testing already but I would suggest that if you want to test this you get a pneumatic cylinder and mount it to the tap handle to automatically turn the tap on and off at a relatively fast rate.

6. Better Value
Well this is fact. the Nukataps are better value and this can be verified by our pricing on our website.

I also forgot to mention the Nukatap performed better under very high pressures too as we have done mains water pressure testing where we also foud the Nukatap to be superior.

So I think we have done what we can to make our claims "objective" but I would still invite anyone to post any documented testing they have done if they choose to disprove our claims.

Has anyone set up a series X plus with the modular font? How many taps would fit between the elbow risers if I wanted an arch like design like the attached piccy to run lines down both sides?

Attachments

• Outside kitch.jpg
    Outside kitch.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 102
Has anyone set up a series X plus with the modular font? How many taps would fit between the elbow risers if I wanted an arch like design like the attached piccy to run lines down both sides?

We did try this first but you can only get about 4 taps going by memory. This is why we made this model of TT Bar font.

Are you going to continue to produce the brewzilla v3 or offer some kind of cheaper alternative to v4?

I'm running a robobrew v2 35L, which I'm more than happy with, only looking to upgrade to the larger 65L. The older machine fits my needs and the $280 price jump between the v3 and v4 versions is huge for the added features I mostly don't want and wouldn't use.

Latest posts

Back