Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What risk?
I asked a bio lecturer at uni about this and as long as it's going to stay above pasteurization temps (72c or above) for 2-5 minutes, all bacteria (except some extremophiles that even boiling wouldn't kill) will be dead

What makes you think that everything would get to 72C?

If you cool the wort down to 82C in your kettle first then you will also get further temperature drop when:
1. You put the wort into a room temperature plastic cube (probably loose about 2C)
2. Then the process of filling up your cube will probably take about 3 minutes (probably loose about 2C)
3. Then even though the main body of wort was 82C you have to look at the coldest part of the cube to ensure pasturization. So most likely this will be the lid (or if you have a tap fitted quite likely this will be an issue). Let's say the cap of the cube this is the last piece to go on and you might find that the seal in the cap will never get to 82C and it might actually never get to 72C.

So even though you only cooled your wort to 82C in the kettle it's quite likley that you could get some microrganisms in parts like the seal in the cap that might only be exposed to lower temperatures. So the risk would be that if something only went slightly wrong you would not have any buffer and might potencially have an issue. We have seen fresh wort kits have issues before for this same reason and they are generally filled very close to boiling point. You may as well fill the cube hotter and be sure. If you are really concerned about isomerisation in the cube then just chuck the cube into a larger bucket of water once it's filled and it's sat hot for a few minutes.

Hi @KegLand-com-au is this something you will look in to? I have been given some kegs (from a bulk order from China) and would like to convert them to inverted conicals sometime over the summer break.

I will talk to the other guys about this. We have been looking at getting larger range of these fittings so it''s something that we need to work out what we stock. Its in discussion at the moment.

I'm also interested in the dimensions of the fermentasaurus fridge that's on the horizon.

We are working hard to finish the Fermentasaurus 2 and we think it will be finished just before christmas. The fermenting fridges are still quite a way off as we still have a lot of work to complete on the software for the controller. Definitely the fridge will not be finished this year now so that willl have to wait until next year.

Ha...yes. The fridge not the fermenter. !
I asked the same question a few posts back and got no reply from Kegland.
I just bought a 2nd hand fridge from Gumtree that will fit the new 27L fermenter so I’m ready to go when it comes out. I imagine the fermenter will sell very well.

Yeah that's not a bad option either. Most second hand fridges will fit the 27L model. If you want to get the 55L model Fermentasaurus fridges to fit these are quite hard to find though.

We will have a glycol chilled optoin but to be honest the fridge is the way to go. It simply does a better job than glycol coils.

It does on the inkbird probe that I have but not 100% sure it will work on all the inbird models. What is the probe diameter that you have?
The sensor's probe dimension is 50mm x 6mm

Which version do you have with it?
I've got two different types (but looks like they have the same probe)

With the copper CFC, is the poly an insulation protection, or does the chill water contact the black poly?

With the copper CFC, is the poly an insulation protection, or does the chill water contact the black poly?
Your chilling water passes between the inside of the black poly and the outside of the internal copper coil
your wort passes inside the copper coil
The poly is just there to hold the cooling water in

Do you know when you will have the Robo brew 3 part "upper extension rod for overflow malt pipe" back in stock. Somehow I have lost mine and it's intefering with brew day big time!!

Hi @KegLand-com-au are you expecting any further delays to the robobrew 65L units? Are you confident that they will be available on 11 November as currently advertised?

The sensor's probe dimension is 50mm x 6mm

Which version do you have with it?
I've got two different types (but looks like they have the same probe)

Yes if you have a 6mm OD Probe this will be a snug fit in the hole as the hole is about 6.5mm ID. You can see it in the photos here:
https://www.kegland.com.au/3-8-inch-bsp-thread-weldless-thermowell.html

https://www.kegland.com.au/media/ca...3525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/t/h/thermowell_id.jpg

The depth of the hole is more than enough to accommodate for the 50mm probe length.

Hi @KegLand-com-au are you expecting any further delays to the robobrew 65L units? Are you confident that they will be available on 11 November as currently advertised?

Yes the stock is already on the water so no further changes in the dates now. Sorry about the wait. They most certainly have taken longer than we thought.

Do you know when you will have the Robo brew 3 part "upper extension rod for overflow malt pipe" back in stock. Somehow I have lost mine and it's intefering with brew day big time!!

If you are really desperate to brew. you can brew without this part and just plug the hole. With that said we do have more of these parts available on 11th November so not too long to wait now.

Yes that is correct. The chilled water does come in contact with the black poly.

If you dont like the idea of poly then you can always get one of the full stainless ones:
https://www.kegland.com.au/colossus-stainless-steel-counter-flow-chiller.html

Our stainless counter flow chillers are quite large. Stainless is less conductive than copper so we needed more surface area to get equal cooling performance. The stainless ones have the 1/2 thread already on the ends so you might find that handy.

If you get the copper with poly outside then you can try and put hose directly on the ends and clamp the hose with a hose clamp but it can be possible for this to come off. So if you want a good join then I would recommend the duotight fittings shown in this kit:
https://www.kegland.com.au/wort-heat-exchanger-counterflow-chiller-duotight-bundle.html

@KegLand-com-au Have you got any more details on the sizing of the fermenting fridges or approximate pricing?

I bought your 58L kegmenter to go with my incoming 65L Robobrew but it won't fit in my current fermenting fridge.

I am looking at other options now but would like an idea of what you are going to offer.

@KegLand-com-au do you have a fitting to connect your in-line regulator KL02172 to a sodastream cylinder adapter KL07290. It would be good to set up the in-line reg to a set pressure and not have to worry about gauges getting damaged when transporting and knobs being turned to wrong settings. Thanks.

I am thinking of getting the kegmenter but was wondering about adding a thermowell for better temp control. Is it really as simple as drilling a hole in the kegmenter and fitting the thermowell? Apart from working out the height location, is there anything else I need to consider when doing it?

@KegLand-com-au do you have a fitting to connect your in-line regulator KL02172 to a sodastream cylinder adapter KL07290. It would be good to set up the in-line reg to a set pressure and not have to worry about gauges getting damaged when transporting and knobs being turned to wrong settings. Thanks.

KL02172 has maximum inlet pressure of 150psi - the unregulated output of a sodastream bottle will exceed that significantly.

Back