Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Indeed. Do you know the answer to my other question about stacking the new kegmenters?

I have not tried this myself. You have about 40mm clearance from the underside of the kegmenter above. So if this is enough space for you then i guess it would be possible. I would say you would need an elbow bend in the tube where it enters the bung though.

@KegLand-com-au ?

Best ask an electrician, because you probably don't know how to correctly de-rate the current capacity of your wiring based on the construction of your walls. Do not assume that it's safe just because the internet tells you that 2.5mm² cable is rated for 20A.

The cable would be fine, the bigger issue will be what else is on the circuit?

If your running a 10A+ load on a standard home power circuit which will probably have a 16A or 20A breaker, then someone only needs to turn on a ceramic heater and its going to trip the breaker at the box.

You'd be constantly running out to the meter box while your trying to use it to reset the breaker every time other people turn on too many devices on the same circuit.

Best to have a dedicated circuit run, or a higher current circuit using 4mm+ cable out to say the shed, garage etc

Cooling of wort before testing:
Cooling of the wort before testing is the ideal scenario. All digital pH meters irrespective if you purchase ours or a $300 one from another supplier will have reduced probe life if you put the probe into hot wort. With that said it will not destroy the probe instantly if it gets immersed in hot wort. You will be able to do this many times until you complete destroy the probe. It just comes down to a trade off between how long you want for wort to cool down and how long you want your probe to last. I would imagine even if you immersed the probe in hot wort once a week in hot wort for 60 seconds you would still get the probe last a couple years and it still give you usable readings.

Accuracy:
Thanks for this question. This question gives us the opportunity to explain a few points about accuracy in general. With PH meter they are largely only as accurate as you calibrate and how well you keep your probe. This is not just with our pH meter but all pH meters.
Its important to remember that the accuracy of the pH meter will be determined by a number of factors including:
1. The accuracy of the calibration solution
2. The temperature of the solution
3. The pressure in the pH glass bulb
4. a long list of other factors that are too numerous to state...

With regards to 1 the buffer solution that we supply with the kit is +/- 0.05ph. So this is important to take into account. You can get more expensive buffer solutions that have higher accuracy but to be honest these are more than adequate for any home brew or commercial brewery opperation. With that said its important to understand this so I have to point it out. With regards to 2 the temperature of the solution will be a factor. Both the temperature of the buffer solution when calibrating but also the temperature of the solution that you are measuring. As the temperater gets further away from ambient you will notice that the accuraccy also will varly slightly more. The ATC will calculate out some of this error but the ideal scenario is that the wort temp is ambient temp if you want extremly accurate results. With regarsd to 3 the pressure in the glass bulb will vary with the depth and position that the pH meter is placed into the container. As these glass bulbs measure hydrogen-ion activity in water-based solutions, if we immerse the pH sensor into a soluition the hydrogen-ion activity is not even, so you will get different results even with the same sample just by moving the probe.

Previously we were reluctant to state the accuracy of the pH meter as it's something that is very difficult to determine. With that said it seems that it's a question that we are getting more frequently so we have now put this into our specification sheet and as you can see from this PDF the accuracy has been amended into this sheet as pH 0.05.
https://www.kegland.com.au/media/pdf/Ph Meter Instructions 2.pdf
In some respects the stated "accuracy" on a specifcation sheet can be misleading. Accuracy at room temperature, accuracy and the edges of the recommended temperature range, or accuracy with just water. The accuracy of a sample of water compared with beer wort will be different. So you kinda have to take the accuracy reading with a grain of salt too. What we can say is we use a high quality probe and we have a high level of resolution to read that probe. If we start the accuracy as 0.05 or 0.01 or 0.1 to be honest this number on it's own is a bit meaningless.

Now with all that said, the probes that we use are very high quality probes. We have put a very good quality probe on here and the same probe is used on pH meters that sell for 4 or 5 times the price. The accuracy of these pH meters is signficiantly better than what any brewer will need. But most of all with any scientific instrument it will only be as good as you look after it.

I challenge anyone to find a better quality pH meter any anywhere near this price, distributed and supported by a local Australian company and that supplies spare parts such as replacement probes.

Thanks for your reply . +/-0.05 instrument accuracy is quite good for a unit at that price. Thanks also for supplying the accuracy of the buffer solutions, which as you say is quite important, as the calibration solution and the meter itself need to be taken into account for overall accuracy (no good having buffer solutions with accuracy of +/-0.1 and a meter with +/-0.05, as together even if everything else is right, won't give an accuracy of better than +/-0.1). This is an excert from pH probe manufacturer Broadly James, but it sums it up "it is the accuracy of the instrument and the solutions used to calibrate the instrument (buffers) that determines the accuracy of the system.....If the instrument has an accuracy statement of ±0.01 pH units, and the buffers are specified as ±0.01pH units, and the procedures are followed properly, then the system and therefore the electrode, has an accuracy of ±0.01 pH units." So, by not providing the accuracy of the meter, I for one, would never have bought it, as accuracy is important to me in order to get precise results.

Your attached PDF doesn't seem to be updated, but I'm sure this will happen in time.

I will say that your comment about dipping the meter in hot wort once a week is not a great one, as I take that and the other comments I quoted earlier to mean it's okay to dip it in the mash tun (60C plus mostly). Since the maximum temp for the meter is 50C that's not advisable. Also, even if samples are kept in the 0-50C range, the ATC does not compensate for the differential in pH that the temperature difference creates in the wort solution itself. For example at 50C the wort may read on the pH meter as pH of 5.6, but at room temp it might actually be 5.75. A brewer may think they are on the right track with their pH because they took it at the wrong temperature. Throw in an accuracy potential of -0.05 pH of the meter and they may think their mash is kicking along at 5.55 when it is actually 5.75. Poorer outcomes may result. To counteract this one would need to know how to back calculate the difference in pH at the temperature that the sample is read at. With wort, which is so variable from recipe to recipe and brew to brew, that is almost impossible and those that have reported anything are all in the 65C plus category (which is beyond the maximum of 50C of your unit). Given all recommended mash pH ranges given at room temp (25C) i.e. 5.2-5.6 it is important to reference all readings back to those.

One could do as you say, by dipping their meter in hot wort to sample once a week, but the pH readings would be meaningless, as one would be guessing as to how much to take off the reading at X temperature (50C or 63C or 71C). There is no point having a pH meter or calibration solution of any accuracy rating, if the user uses it in the way you've described, which throws that accuracy out the window. Far simpler to cool the sample, get accuracy and save the probe. Maybe consider advising customers this. Matter for yourselves.

Last edited:
If, hypothetically*, my CO2 tank fell out of my keggerator and landed on of the regulator smashing the top gauge and knocking it about abit - would one be able to purchase a replacement gauge, OR should I replace the whole regulator incase it is otherwise compromised?

*may have actually happened :(

EDIT: I'm not sure what size etc., to ask for or where to get one from..?

Last edited:
If, hypothetically*, my CO2 tank fell out of my keggerator and landed on of the regulator smashing the top gauge and knocking it about abit - would one be able to purchase a replacement gauge, OR should I replace the whole regulator incase it is otherwise compromised?

Yes, cheap as chips

Do home brew shops only sell robobrew and kegs?

They sell what is required to go in them.

We see this happen all the time. Given how easy it is to damage the guages we would recommend all customers to purcahse a gauge guard like this:
https://www.kegland.com.au/mkiii-regulator-bump-guard.html

With that said if you want to replace the guages it is easy to replace. You can see the replacement guages here:

https://www.kegland.com.au/replacem...rogen-oxygen-regulator-1-4-npt-thread-rh.html
https://www.kegland.com.au/replacement-low-pressure-guage-for-regulator-0-80psi.html
https://www.kegland.com.au/replacement-low-pressure-guage-for-regulator-0-80psi.html

I would say most likely the regulator body is fine. You have to hit the regulator quite hard to damage the casting.

If you really want to bash your guages around you can replace the high pressure gauge with a stainless plug like this:
https://www.kegland.com.au/1-4-inch-bsp-stainless-hex-plug.html
The high pressure gauge is actually not particularly useful anyway so this is one optoin. Some hire companies do this as it reduces the number of guages they have to replace.

Awesome, thanks for that, I'm just not sure if the internals where the plastic dial is located was damaged/affected (because that copped a bit too) - the reg also dislodged off the thread and CO2 came screaming out - will be modifying the fridge immediately to prevent it from falling out again!

Do the kegmenters have enough clearance to stack if you've got a blow-off tube routed out through the handle of the lower one? I might be interested if I can get two in my fridge...

sorry about that. I missed this question before.

You have about 40mm clearance from the top flat plate of the kegmenter below and the one above. If you used a right angle elbow you could just stack two together with a blow off tube but it is a tight fit. I think it will work.

Now I'm not one to incite argument but....who is has the right to make and sell the fermentersaurus?
IMG_0096.jpg
IMG_0095.jpg

Went past there today to the 70% off Samsonite sale over the road as a ute was leaving with a swag of Fermentasaurus on the tray.
Off topic but if anyone is after any quality luggage, wallets, bags and knapsacks head over to Samsonite sale, finishes Sunday.

Hi kegland,

How long until your 6.0kg co2 bottles and stir plates are back in stock?

Cheers

KegLand Fermentasaurus 2 - 50L

The new and improved Fermentasaurus Gen2 in a whoppinh 50L brought to you by the critical key minds and engineers behind the original Gen1. But with all the tweaks that make it the most cost effective conical fermenter to date!

We found that the Gen1 Fermentasaurus although it was revolutionary at the time of its conception, that there are always areas to improve and make better. This is partly due to the strong Fermentasaurus community who have helped push for an improved conical unitank.

Available in 27L and Double Batch 50L

New and Improved:
1. Larger Dump Valve
2. Larger opening
3. Pressure rating 2.4bar (35psi)
4. Designed to fit in the new WiFi Fermenter Fridges (coming soon)

More details coming..

Hey,
Love the new kegmenters.
When will you be selling spunding valves?
Thanks

Back